3DCoat Forums

Chronosculpt?

• Advanced Member

I think it looks amazing, I cant wait to see it in action on the live stream.

Newtek forums arent as impressed, reminds them of Core.. I think there's probably a good part of the Core tech in there, Hydra comes to mind.

Also, there's no way the old Modeler could handle that many polys with it's current engine so going with the newer code base makes sense to me.

This is just my 2c but I think Chronosculpt should be been included in the LW11.6 price and not an addon.

Same with NevronMotion also announced today, they should of tagged that on the LW 11.6 license for any new and existing licenses and... Sell it as a stand alone product for non LW users (Max, Maya...etc).

Anyways, love the announcements today, more options always better :)

• Reputable Contributor

I think ChronoSculpt is them trying to make some use of CORE to retrieve some of their past development investment. I agree about the Motion plugin. That functionality has been available in 3ds Max for years now. Odd that they would sell this as a separate plugin. My guess is they are needing the development $$$.

• Advanced Member

Isn't  some of its base features in other appz already, except for alembic support? messiah, blender, xsi.

Its going to be a tough sell.

2nd mistake is not bundling the mocap kinect with lightwave 12, etc. Lightwave lacks good mocap tools and it will not have it built in it seems.

• Contributor

I actually think this new Chronosculpt is pretty cool!

Here is a video of Marcel deJong painting cache weights in Maya, but Chronosculpt could be a much easier way to do the same sort of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd2G0ae_Z3U

I think ChronoSculpt is them trying to make some use of CORE to retrieve some of their past development investment. I agree about the Motion plugin. That functionality has been available in 3ds Max for years now. Odd that they would sell this as a separate plugin. My guess is they are needing the development $$$.

They've been using CORE tech since v10 came out. That's how we got VPR and the new modeling tools. Actually ChronoSculpt isn't based on the old CORE stuff though, from what the developer says on their forum. He's using a different engine that he made. As for why it's separate, is because it's not just for LightWave, it's for users of any 3D package.

• Reputable Contributor

How does this stack up  against Joe Alter's Lip Service?

I think it's roughly the same concept, except lip service is more full-featured. For example you can store morphs/poses in a list of thumbnails. I talked to Joe briefly at Siggraph 2010 and he said that he tried to get the execs over 3ds Max to integrate it natively (similar to the way they did with his Shave and a Haircut plugin), and they weren't interested. Wish they would have. Would have been great for facial animation. Since you can autokey modeling functions in 3ds Max, and have some decent sculpting tools in the Graphite toolset, I presume this is why

• Like 1

• Contributor

I think it's roughly the same concept, except lip service is more full-featured. For example you can store morphs/poses in a list of thumbnails. I talked to Joe briefly at Siggraph 2010 and he said that he tried to get the execs over 3ds Max to integrate it natively (similar to the way they did with his Shave and a Haircut plugin), and they weren't interested. Wish they would have. Would have been great for facial animation. Since you can autokey modeling functions in 3ds Max, and have some decent sculpting tools in the Graphite toolset, I presume this is why

Yeah I always wondered why Lip Service wasn't more popular. Joe Alter even added so many new features to Lip Service that he decided to rename it Lbrush. It even includes Pose Space Deformation now. Still, nobody seems to be using it! I saw that the new Anzovin Rig Tools will also include Pose Space Deformation soon. Pose Space Deformation is one of the greatest rigging tools ever. I don't think Chronosculpt is Pose Space Deformation, but it is somewhat similar. I think it is intended to be mostly used to easily edit cloth, particle, and shatter simulations once they have been cached. I could see it being used to clean up character animation as well, but it isn't really a pose space deformation tool. In any case, Chronosculpt could potentially be very useful.

• Reputable Contributor

Blender users hopefully will get the benefit  of Chronosculpt  as Blender supports the import and export of mdd point cache files. There will be a Linux version as well... :D