3DCoat Forums

Add Tweak Room Features to Retopo Room

alvordr

• Advanced Member

If we could add tweak room capabilities to the retopo room, we could adjust the retopo mesh with the sculpt at the same time.  This would allow us to "tweak" our sculpt before baking and also have the ability to use post-bake tweaking in the Tweak room for further adjustments.  Right now, if I change a sculpt, I have to change it in the Voxel room and then do the same to the mesh in the Retopo room separately.

• Reputable Contributor

If we could add tweak room capabilities to the retopo room, we could adjust the retopo mesh with the sculpt at the same time.  This would allow us to "tweak" our sculpt before baking and also have the ability to use post-bake tweaking in the Tweak room for further adjustments.  Right now, if I change a sculpt, I have to change it in the Voxel room and then do the same to the mesh in the Retopo room separately.

No, you don't, actually. I got with Andrew about this very issue about a year ago, and the solution was "Conform the Retopo Mesh." It was originally named Update Retopo (but Conform Retopo is easier for new user to understand).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3wgVOIU8nA&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=34

Nevertheless, it would be nice to see some of the gradient/soft selection capabilities in the Tweak Room to make it into the Retopo Room. There are a number of occasions where using the Brush tool wasn't accurate enough, and without a soft selection, using the Transform tool is just the opposite...too abrupt. There is no falloff. Where this is most important and needed is when using mesh presets from the Models pallet.

• Advanced Member

I tested this and it doesn't work in cases, where I used Carve tool to carve out small sections that should still line up with the original retopo mesh.  The overall shape is roughly the same, but I couldn't just use Transform in the situation I was testing with.  What would help is something that either changes the retopo as we sculpt, which I believe the method above likely works for transform and pose operations, but also a situation like mine.  This might be something that says re-wrap retopo to mesh.  Assuming the retopo should pretty much conform to the same general shape, this should work.