3DCoat Forums

Fuel 3D : A handheld 3D Scanner on Kickstarter for under $1000

• Advanced Member

Hey Guys,

I have just backed an awesome project on Kickstarter and was luck enough to get one of the limited $750 beta units!

I am very excited about getting my Fuel 3D and thought I would make you lot aware of it. On release it will be $1500 so I have picked up a bargain!

You can still get one for $990 and it will be a production ready version.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45699157/fuel3d-a-handheld-3d-scanner-for-less-than-1000

This is going to be awesome!

:D

Edited by Marc Wakefield

• Advanced Member

I know!  :)

April 2014 is so far away but at least I won't have to wait until July.

As soon as I get it, I will upload some scans for 3DCoaters to use in their projects.

I thought the price was incredible and I can see so many uses for it so it is a worthy investment.

• Contributor

A bargain, a 1k gadget that does as good as 123D catch from autodesk with a simple camera.. for free. Nice.

I'm starting to see a pattern.

For someone who doesn't have 3dcoat that could somehow count (the 3d software license is the production value here) but with 3dcoat I don't see a single reason to buy this thing compared to using 123d catch.

• Advanced Member

The output is so much better than 123D Catch.

I think you may have missed something.... either that or you are just trying to find something else to crap on.  :unsure:

If the fact that I will be able to scan absolutely anything, import the meshes (which will be a actual high resolution meshes complete with real surface details not just a rough blocky shape with a texturemap) merge, sculpt, then retopo or export for print doesn't add value to my workflow then I must be deluded or a complete idiot for spending my hard earned cash on such a device.

• Contributor

I just trust my eyes. Do whatever you want, I don't see a bargain here, at all. Look at the output of 123d and this and you'll see the difference is minimal.

Reminds me of david scan :x

Ask Philnolan (I think ?) about what he thinks about david scan, I think he lost interest into it. If you think the price is a bargain because of their "we cost a tenth of the competition" you may need to look into it  and see they're misinforming people or plain lying.

There may also be better alternative out there (I'm not that interested in the thing since I use Lidar scanning at work and got that side of the business covered).

I'm not trying to bash out mind you, I just went a bit aggressively on the "watch out" side ^^

• Advanced Member

I have tried the David Laser scanner route and also tried using a Kinect.

The David laser scanner is tricky to set up and a real PITA to get good results from.

The Kinect is too low res and not up to scratch.

Another 3d scanner was released recently called the Matterform which works like a pro version of the David laser scanner but only really scans objects which can fit on its turntable. 

I think the real value behind the Fuel 3d is the fact that it is a handheld 3D scanner which produces accurate scans at a usable resolution with just a point and a click. (or several)

If you compare this to the price of other high end handheld scanners I am sure you will see the value in it. The product that inspired the Fuel 3D is being used in the medical profession. 

I am sure you will not be convinced anyway as you seem pretty set in your ways once you get a bee in your bonnet. (I do not post much but I have been hanging around these forums since the start.)

I will have to wait until April 2014 before I can really add any meat to the bones of this discussion so I will let you know how it performs then.

BTW Beat, you were right about Silo. It crashed on me when I tried to open a mesh in it this morning. The mesh opened fine in Blender and Carrara...

• Contributor
No problem about the 3d scanner, get your shoes, you're right I probably won't change my mind since I use very costly versions of those (stage scanners), and I'm in a " you can't get back to paint after using photoshop kind of mindset" ^^.
I hope you're right about fuel3d vs 123d.

BTW Beat, you were right about Silo. It crashed on me when I tried to open a mesh in it this morning. The mesh opened fine in Blender and Carrara...

On that one I'm a man of my words.

• Advanced Member

Fuel 3D have passed the $200,000 mark and they were only looking for $75,000 and they still have 24 days to go!

They have some great stretch goals though. Very, very useful.

Scorpion says: GET OVER THERE!  :p:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45699157/fuel3d-a-handheld-3d-scanner-for-less-than-1000