3DCoat Forums

Retopo mesh looks bad in UDK

airdrummer

Looking for an answer to this.

If I export mesh to Unity as an obj, it looks just fine, but when I export to UDK and an FBX it looks bad.

This is just the mid section of a stone pillar. UV's welded and laid...no overlapping, and normals are all fine in Maya.

Any ideas? Thx!

1k19.jpg

Yeah, the normal map isn't even applied. This is just the mesh with the standard material. This is some kind of issue with the meshes normals. It must be an export setting out of 3DC. I'd love to know the best settings for exporting a retopo mesh. The strange thing, is that this mesh will look fine in Unity.

Try to contact for any questions

alvordr

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14646&hl=

He is working pretty well with UDK

------------------------------------------

settings for exporting a retopo mesh at min 1:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNg2Lr41lUY

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still having issues with this but I found a quick fix, however, another issue has come of it. I can export FBX from 3DC. UDK will still warn about smoothing groups, but it will except the mesh and it looks fine. My issue is that when I export an obj from Maya, with the 2 UV sets I have created, I export as an FBX from 3DC, open it back up in Maya and my 2UV sets are gone and replaced with 4 uv sets created in 3DC. What is the setting to stop this from happening? I don't tick anything upon export so I'm not sure whats going on. I'd appreciate any help:)

objfbx.jpg