3DCoat Forums

Duplicate / Mirror Retopo

alvordr

• Advanced Member

There have been a number of times where I've made a copy of something in the Voxel Room that I need to retopo both pieces for, but I have no easy way to duplicate the retopo mesh for, as they're turned facing each other.  It would be great to have duplicate retopo layer and mirror options.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

All 1000+ faces?  You're suggesting we do this by hand, as it is now?  This also doesn't solve the problem of putting them on a separate layer.  It's a nice thought, but it doesn't work for the situation I mentioned.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

It's easy to select 1000+ faces.  Set your select tool to rectangle select in the e-panel.  If you had an object with 1000+ faces you could select them all with two clicks.

If the faces are all isolated on a layer, you can select them all by clicking the "select layer botton on the retopo group window.

Also, how is what you want different from the symmetrical copy layer command?

post-21582-0-02145200-1376094715_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Contributor

I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but try this:

1. In Retopo Room select all faces you want to duplicate, or a selection of them*.
  2. Clone them. It will place cloned faces on a new retopo layer.
  3. Hide the original retopo layer.
  4. In Voxel Room select and hide your original volume/surface. This is to prevent retopo mesh from snapping to it.
  5. Duplicate it. Transform tool should kick in. Make sure you have Conform Retopo Mesh turned on.
  6. Transform the volume/surface to your liking. The retopo mesh should follow it.
  7. Unhide your original VoxTree object and your original retopo mesh.

* - if your retopo mesh has a lot of faces and you only want to select some of them, you can use UV borders to help you in selection. However, this requires unwrapping. I don't know if there's an other way of selecting faces that are inside or outside of selection.