3DCoat Forums

1st Challenge: Sculpt a King's Throne!

TimmyZDesign

• Contributor

Really cool update Ebitz! Nice crisp edges and details added there.

I've got another update myself coming soon...

@Marc: We'd be glad to have you!

And...

A reminder for all participants: There's only a week and a half left until this Challenge is over! So, you still have some time to add something new to the thread, or add some nice touches to what you've already got. I really like all the contributions so far!

• Advanced Member

Right, very rough, first drafty, idea generation...  The Grand Consumers Throne!

It is literally in blocking out form at the moment. Only worked on it for around half an hour so far. All symmetrical at present but this will change imminently. 

This will be the throne of an evil hunter king known as Lord Galathatas the Gluton, the Grand Consumer....

Once a fierce warrior and predator, he is very old now and his hunting days are far behind him. He sends out his army of bone pickers to kill the most fearsome beasts and proud warriors. The skin and bones surround his throne. His castle is littered with ghastly trophy's.

He consumes the internal organs and flesh of the victims believing it will extend his life but his frail bloated body is beyond repair.

He still rules with an iron fist as his sheep like followers live in fear of his non-existent supernatural powers.

Update coming tonight.

post-421-0-82485100-1378371115_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

I began to sculpt some throne doodles. I don't know how far I'll take it though because I can only spare about one hour a day.

To what degree we can use external applications to support the sculpting with base surfaces or solids? I'd like to redo the wings, but it's difficult in 3D Coat to create a smooth curvature that I want them to have. Unless of course I would do them in the Retopo Room, but... :rolleyes:

post-12523-0-04183600-1378383941_thumb.j

• Contributor

Great additions to the thread Marc and Ajz3d! I'm pretty impressed by how quickly you made those good looking sculpts!

And here is some more progress for my own throne:

TimmyZThroneSeatAreaProgress_01.JPG

TimmyZThroneSeatAreaProgress_02.JPG

TimmyZThroneSkull_01.JPG

TimmyZThroneSkull_02.JPG

TimmyZThroneKingWithSkulls_01.JPG

Next I'll be working on the sides and legs of the throne. It will be more wrought iron rib-like stuff, and probably more spinal cord stuff, with claws for the feet. :D

• Contributor

LOL Tony! Great comment!

Yes, this king is an evil demon, born from the depths of hell. Therefore, I think he sadistically enjoys how painful it is to sit on this throne! Nontheless, I'm probably still going to make the seat more substantial by adding some rib-like crossbars over the top. That way he won't accidentally slip through the cracks. :)

• Contributor

Tiny update with a little bit more detail and different wings shape. I want the claws on the wings to hold something. Not sure what yet, but giant spears or flagpoles (or maybe a mix of both?) seems to be a good idea, me thinks.

The tail is still missing.

Also, I still hesitate from what material this throne should be created. Wood or stone? Would it be possible for someone from medieval age to carve such large throne from wood? What wood would he use? Sequoia's? It doesn't grow in Europe. Or maybe the throne was created from many wooden parts? Wings separated from the eagle's body? Or maybe carved from stone?

So many questions and no answers.

The material will affect the sculpture's texture - meaning: the way I will sculpt the throne.

I want the throne to be primitive with slight royal accents, like gemmed eagle eyes, some boar pelts here and there with one probably under king's bum so he can avoid mentioned haemorrhoids, maybe a banner or two wrapped around something, etc.

I'm gonna' improvise.

post-12523-0-23149800-1378598288_thumb.j

• Contributor

In this case I have to read more about the burl and bird's eye maple tomorrow. I'm very curious about them.

And Tony, I feel obliged to compliment you on being a real mine of knowledge. And I really meant it. :yes:

P.S. I just read that maples that have the bird's eye aren't native to Europe. At least according to Wikipedia. All of them grow in the North America. If it's true, then it would be impossible for a medieval European carpenter to obtain this kind of resource.

• Contributor

@ajz3d: Personally, I think this would look best as chiseled/carved stone...in big pieces which are laid on top of each other (like how they built the Sphinx in Egypt). Maybe the gaps between the pieces would be filled with mud or mortar of some kind, but maybe the throne is already old, so you can see the gaps between the pieces because the mud has flaked out in some places. On the other hand, if the throne is indoors, then it may not be very eroded...

• Contributor

In this case I have to read more about the burl and bird's eye maple tomorrow. I'm very curious about them.

And Tony, I feel obliged to compliment you on being a real mine of knowledge. And I really meant it. :yes:

P.S. I just read that maples that have the bird's eye aren't native to Europe. At least according to Wikipedia. All of them grow in the North America. If it's true, then it would be impossible for a medieval European carpenter to obtain this kind of resource.

Ah, scholarship steps in to limit your choices. That's okay, such discipline is a good asset.

Aw, I didn't realise that this thread was here until just an hour or two ago.

I'm going to try too, though I'm a complete noob. :)

concept sketch + first WIP

post-11720-0-30334400-1378784132_thumb.jpost-11720-0-91268000-1378784133_thumb.j

Edited by Ruth Spacecookie Andrews

Thanks Tim, though I think that the best part is already over. lol

Day 2:-

Spear-chopper-stick-thing base that partly serves as the back of the throne, and the floor bricks/tiles.

post-11720-0-96184300-1378868775_thumb.jpost-11720-0-52627800-1378868897_thumb.j

I'm so stuck today (day 3) with this.  I'm not going to complete on time.  Oh well, hey, it's all a learning experience.

I can't work out how to make a plane and then shape it to save it off as an object to bring in for cloth simulation.

Oh well, time to reread the manual.