3DCoat Forums

1st Challenge: Sculpt a King's Throne!

TimmyZDesign

• Contributor

A reminder to all participants in this Challenge:

Your final version needs to be posted in this thread by 2359 GMT on Saturday (in accordance with the official Rules thread which is pinned at the top of this Challenge forum). That means you have (as of now) about 1 day left to finish up what you've got.

Please try and make a nice final render (800 x 600 pixels). Don't forget to mark your final version with the words "FINAL VERSION" in all caps, so that it will be clear which version I am supposed to be judging. I do realize that a lot of you may not have time to make a nice final render, so I will just look at the most recent version you have posted so far in this thread and use that as your final version when I am judging. I myself will be posting my own final version tomorrow (but obviously I am not allowed to win this Challenge).

I am impressed with all of the submissions so far, and it will be hard for me to decide on a winner! In any case, I will post the winning user's name in this thread on Sunday. Whoever that person is, please try and post your topic for the next Challenge as soon as possible so that we can get started on it right away.

As far as I've been told, the winner will receive a trophy icon under their user name! Personally I really like trophies, so I'm excited to see what it will look like!

Best of luck to everybody, I've really enjoyed working alongside you on this Challenge, and thanks to everyone for participating! I am inspired by all of you!

I'm still continuing with this, and I've had some ideas, but I'm so not going to be finished in time. I just wish I'd seen the thread earlier, and I knew the tools better. Oh well, good luck to all the people entering. ^_^

Spending time making the weapon at the back complete, working out the curves tool, so it's all good.

post-11720-0-77463000-1379134757_thumb.j

• Contributor

Okay, I'll upload these images just in case. I still want to make one more thing - giant steel swords (pointing downwards) that the eagle will hold, but I don't know if I will finish them on time. So, If I won't make it, then these images will be my FINAL ones for this challenge.

Rendered in a great hurry with 3D Coat's internal renderer. :rofl:

post-12523-0-05486700-1379189270_thumb.j

post-12523-0-31849200-1379189274_thumb.j

post-12523-0-40292800-1379189279_thumb.j

post-12523-0-76475800-1379189283_thumb.j

post-12523-0-45001600-1379189288_thumb.j

post-12523-0-06432400-1379189293_thumb.j

post-12523-0-97396300-1379189296_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Contributor

Phew. Barely made it. This is the final image. I'm not too happy about it, but there's nothing more I can do I guess. :)

Ebitz, good luck to you too and too all participants. I love the variety of designs shown here.

P. S. Your wolves are awesome.

post-12523-0-87606500-1379202250_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Contributor

This Challenge was a lot of fun, and very motivating. I learned several new things in 3D-Coat, and ended up with a cool model to add to my portfolio!

All around a great experience. I was also greatly inspired by everyone else who participated!

It was very hard for me to choose the winner of this Challenge! There were lots of great submissions!

Well, without further ado, I've chosen Ebitz as the winner!

Congratulations on creating a really cool throne! I liked the wolf head sculpts and your overall design.

It was crisp and clean, and you also took the time to add lots of nice details (the cushioning on the seat, the scratch marks on the disk above the wolf heads, a bit of wear and tear here and there, etc.). Great job!

Ebitz will get a trophy icon under his user name, he gets to choose the topic of the next Challenge, and he also will get to choose the winner of the next Challenge!

Hopefully there may also be some kind of monetary award given to the winner of the next Challenge (if we can find some sort of sponsorship).

Because Ebitz will be judging the next Challenge, he will not be allowed to win that Challenge.

Congrats again to Ebitz for winning!

There were wonderful submissions from the other participants as well:

Ajz3d - Very nice detail on the wood bird throne! It really looked like wood! Wonderful job overall, I liked the concept, and the two huge swords were a great addition!

You also had a really great render. You have a great grasp on how to get nice renders out of 3D-Coat! Any chance on sharing your render settings with us?

Marc Wakefield - Also a very cool design, I hope you take the time to finish it because you have already got a great start and your detail work on those scary faces is great!

Ruth Spacecookie Andrews - Also a great start, and I hope you endeavor to finish it. I read your thread elsewhere about trying to get the cloth sim to work. I haven't tried that feature in 3D-Coat yet, keep us posted on your results!

Pix Jigsaw - You definitely get the award for funniest submission! Clever concept!

Alvordr - I still think you had a nice start. Definite potential there.

ChingChong - Nice concept art! Thanks for sharing!

Well, that's it. Thanks again to everyone for participating! I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Challenge will be!

Congratulations everyone who entered and tried this challenge, and especially Ebitz for winning.

I'll certainly try to keep a W.I.P thread relating to the throne for as long as I can manage it :)

5. The winner is judged by The Starter and the prize is to set up the next Challenge.

This is crucial to keeping things fresh!

So the person could supply a base model and say "texture this creature, depth can also be used but the base mesh cannot be modified", or something to that effect.

• Advanced Member

Sorry for the delay everyone, and thanks for all the remarks. Been a little busy lately here, but i am brain storming on some ideas for the next challenge. Hopefully not too much longer. Thanks again and we'll see ya soon right here.