3DCoat Forums

Bloodsong

heyas guys;

i didn't like the results i was getting from AUTOPO, so i started retpologizing by hand. a good learning experience.  :X

i have a model that is made up of repeating elements (holes through a bar).  so i thought i would build one segment, and then copy that segment where the other holes are.  even smarter, i thought i would build 1/4 of the segment, then mirror the top to bottom, the front to back, and then the side to side, to get the whole piece.

i have discovered clone.  and i scaled the clone of the first 1/4 to -100% to get a vertically mirrored copy.  the edges aren't perfectly straight, and the bottom edge of the top piece is overlapping the top edge of the bottom piece.  even if i merge the two retopo groups together.  so:

how do i weld vertices?    or how do i weld chunks of retopo to each other... without drawing more polygons between them?

i got the vertices all into alignment with the transform tool.  but the two pieces still think they are separate.  they're all one retopo group, just... two different colours.  :/

• Reputable Contributor

heyas guys;

i didn't like the results i was getting from AUTOPO, so i started retpologizing by hand. a good learning experience.  :X

i have a model that is made up of repeating elements (holes through a bar).  so i thought i would build one segment, and then copy that segment where the other holes are.  even smarter, i thought i would build 1/4 of the segment, then mirror the top to bottom, the front to back, and then the side to side, to get the whole piece.

i have discovered clone.  and i scaled the clone of the first 1/4 to -100% to get a vertically mirrored copy.  the edges aren't perfectly straight, and the bottom edge of the top piece is overlapping the top edge of the bottom piece.  even if i merge the two retopo groups together.  so:

how do i weld vertices?    or how do i weld chunks of retopo to each other... without drawing more polygons between them?

i got the vertices all into alignment with the transform tool.  but the two pieces still think they are separate.  they're all one retopo group, just... two different colours.  :/

Use the MOVE VERTICES tool to select a vert you want to weld to another (even if they are right on top of one another). Drag it over the vert you want to weld it to, and you should see the color change to red. That indicates it is going to be welded if you release your mouse/cursor over the point.

• Reputable Contributor

oh, cool!

that's not too bad; when they're on top of each other, a left click, right click will do it.

out of curiosity, is there any way to do a batch of points at once?  :X

I'm not aware of anything that allows for multiple verts to be welded in one go, but it would be nice to have, when needed. I put in a request months ago, for a "Bridge Select Edges" tool. Once bridged, you can delete an extra loop if you wanted, with the DELETE EDGES tool (edgeloops selected in the toolbar).

• 7 months later...