3DCoat Forums

new wacom gimmic announced

puntoit

• Contributor

You won't.

GMA 4k chip, no proper dx/gl support on those things. Probably lot of crashes if you even can manage to launch it. Hell I can't even run  install maya on those things.

What do you mean by this Beatkitano? The Cintiq Companion (the one that runs Windows) doesn't have good specs for using 3D software like Maya and 3D-Coat? I was having a lot of trouble finding the exact hardware specs and if the graphics card supports CUDA/OpenGL. It is really sad if this thing can't run my favorite software packages well... :(

• Contributor

Apprently it's an Intel HD 4000 which are shit (for a lack of a softer word) for 3d software. Last time I tried to run maya on this on my fujitsu tablet pc it wouldn't even install (min requirements), I didn't try 3dc though but I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up since intel drivers are more on the ogl side of the business... and they still are terrible.

• Advanced Member

It's fine for photoshop (and probably every 2d program out htere), and zbrush. For the rest no guarantee.

For 2D art and ZB, I'd probably go for a MS Surface Pro or the soon to be announced Surface Pro 2 instead, at $2400 for the Wacom pro tablet, it's way, way out there.

• Contributor

For 2D art and ZB, I'd probably go for a MS Surface Pro or the soon to be announced Surface Pro 2 instead, at $2400 for the Wacom pro tablet, it's way, way out there.

Overpriced, as every wacom products but you forget pressure sensitivity, and I think there's none on surface (and if there is it's probably a penabled tech with only 256 levels).

Without pressure you've got an ipad with better hardware and win 8 and that's not a cool setup for this use :x

• Advanced Member

Overpriced, as every wacom products but you forget pressure sensitivity, and I think there's none on surface (and if there is it's probably a penabled tech with only 256 levels).

Without pressure you've got an ipad with better hardware and win 8 and that's not a cool setup for this use :x

Hi BeatKitano,

The Surface Pro levels of pressure is 1024 with palm rejection. There was a driver issue at launch I beleive that made it not pressure sensitive at all, has long been resolved with MS implementing compatibility with the Wintab API.

When they release the Cintiq Companion (WIndows 8 version) I'm going up to Wacom headquarters in Vancouver, WA to test them out. They have a demo room there with all there tech. I am eager to try it out, but, as Beat was mentioning that video card is not so good for 3D software.

On the topic of the Fujitsu tablet PCs, I had one too for a while. It was cool, but it ran most 3D software rather poorly, LW was OK, 3DC ran smoothly for the most part too. Zbrush was OK for sculpting, but lagged with everything else. Generating normal and displacement maps on it was impossible. I mostly used it for sketching when I was out and about.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

For what its worth, I love my Yiynova DP10U tablet and it plays really well with 3D Coat.

It is not ultra mobile like an all in one pressure sensitive tablet PC but it only uses USB for power and video so doesn't need an external power source.

It lives in my laptop bag so I can use it on the go with my Lenovo y580 (as long as it is charged of course).

I still have an old Motion computing Le1600 for 2d work on the go and actually love using my iPad 2 with Procreate and my Hex3 JaJa (which uses high frequency sound to communicate pressure sensitivity rather than bluetooth)

A highly powered pressure sensitive mobile art tablet is like the holy grail. I really hope someone makes one with enough fire in its belly for 3D Coat. I would be interested to hear how you get on Javis.