3DCoat Forums

DX Cuda increases brush size via wacom stylus

Geta-Ve

Alright, I know the title is odd, but when I run 3D Coat via the DX Cuda executable, the brush radius will exponentially increase anytime I move my wacom cintiq stylus over the cintiq itself; I don't even have to be "clicking". 

Mouse works just fine, stylus, not so much. 

I can confirm that this doesn't happen in the other executable versions.

I have updated my wacom drivers, and I am running the latest geforce beta drivers (which may or may not matter ?)

Thanks!

@BeatKitano: Nah, I've actually lost my side buttons long ago.. lol So I've disabled them in the Wacom preferences. As well the diagnostic screen shows that the pen is still functioning correctly.

Furthermore, I have figured out that my pen issue goes a bit further than 3DCoat. Apparently I am having issues with all programs. The pen is acting like a RMB. This is even after I went and disabled all of the stupid Pen & Touch shit in windows.

I am in the process of uninstalling the Wacom drivers (again). Ugh.

• Contributor

It probably won't fix your issue, and I had this a few months ago with an ageing intuos 2, and it happened years ago when I started on a graphire 1. Your tablet is probably failing.

Most of the time it's the left click that get "stuck" even when lifting the pen off the tablet.

For me it's the normal dying process of most wacom tablet, when they die the "normal" way.

It's DYING?!?

Say it ain't so!!?

Damn.. I just spent about 4 hours trying to fix the issue with zero luck.

Although! Without the wacom drivers the tablet (and pen) behave normally, albeit in 'mouse mode' and no pressure sensitivity. This leads me to believe that it is driver related. But no driver I've installed yet fix the issue. :/

Agh. 

• Contributor

I say keep trying (I've no advice to give you at this point) but it really looks like it :x

You sure you don't have anything pushing on the right button physicaly ? And did you try in another usb port and with cold boot ? 

Just to have an idea: how old is the tablet ? I'm personaly completely dissatisfied with wacom products lately, they are crapping models like there's no tomorrow with defects that have been there for years and their latest models (cintiq 24 serie and later) are completely unreliable.

I've just contacted customer support for Wacom, their form is bullshit. They expect you to describe the issue in less than 512 characters. I started with 1500, and could only sum it up in 650 (without spaces). :S So I just said RMB issues, contact me for more info. lol.

But yeah, the wacom diagnostic screen (in the Wacom Preferences > About > Diagnostic) says that nothing is permanently pressed. What it does show though is that both the tip and the eraser are acting like the same button. 

I have to say that I am have also been pretty dissatisfied with my Cintiq purchase. I've had it for ... 5 years? (maybe more??) and it's given me issues since day one. For instance, about an inch around the edge of the screen is completely unusable due to stuttering from the power interception issue. Furthermore, the thing gets pretty hot, pretty quickly, which makes the jittering even worse if you have it on for a long period of time. This lead me to simply using it as a tablet (ie, the screen isn't displaying anything so it powers itself down, but still allows for pen functions).about 2 years ago.

So, pretty much I paid 2k for an oversized tablet. :/

And their drivers are garbage. 

It's so funny. The release of a new tablet from Wacom used to be a big deal, now, who cares?

• Contributor

Yeah I bought a brand new Cintiq 22HD a while back that always made a high pitched noise when it was on. I returned it and instead got the 21UX (older model).  The 21UX is fine, but I did lose a little faith in Wacom because of that incident with the 22HD.

Well, they still haven't responded to my inquiry ... Hopefully tomorrow :/

Meanwhile my freelance is out of commission until this issue gets sorted. I may have to start looking into replacements ... or alternatives. One thing I am sure of, I will never get a cintiq again. If anything just an intuos or perhaps even a bamboo. :/

• Contributor

That's the conclusion I came to after mine went 3 times to aftersale during the waranty.

Besides even when I had older models at work I didn't feel the concept was much better than an intuos and screens.

The cintiq has huge drawbacks to me:

Your hand cover most of your work

You can't use the stylus accross multiple displays (a pity when you've got a quad stand + the cintiq as you need to use the mouse all the time to switch between apps.)

You can't play with surface ratio, I like to use different ratio for various work, on a cintiq you can't do that as your screen dictate, with an intuos you can define your entire screen as portrait mode for instance, just use the right ratio and portion.

In any case even with an ergonomic arm the concept doesn't suit me that much, I still use them at work  (and probably still use them for while) and home but as soon as my home one die I'll go back to a regular intuos.

Yeah, I started with an old school graphire back in the day, and then upgraded to the Cintiq 12 inch model when it was all the rage. :/

Support contacted me told me to try an option I had already tried. Sent him a lengthy email about everything I've done thus far. Let's see where it goes from here.