3DCoat Forums

How do you merge???

Space76Ghost

Hello

I'm new to 3D-Coat.

I learned how to use the Retopo Room. I made a pair of pants for my poser model. When I go to the Voxel Room and click on my model to import it to the Voxel Room my model appears fine. However, when I go to the model menu and import my Retopo I saved ( the pants saved as an obj ) my model disappears!? I know am probably missing a simple step somewhere. I just can't seem to figure it out. Are there any tutorials how to do this? If someone could help, that would be great! I am frustrated! I am guessing I am not exporting it properly nor saving the file correctly so they can be imported to the Voxel Room.

Thanks in advance!

Ghost

If you plan to add shape and detail to any model you have made (outside of 3D-Coat), inside the Voxel Room - then you must import each model by using Voxel "Merge" tool, or command.

Every model can be on its own Voxel layer.  This way you can align separate parts with the Voxel "Transform" tool, and alter the detail level for each imported model part - either keeping them separate  and Retopoing each separately - or Merging all parts into one Voxel model and Retopoing everything as one giant model together.

Greg Smith

I saved both the pants and the model from the retopo room separately. When I import them from the model menu on the right into the voxel room only one of them appears in the scene. Not both. My problem is getting both into the scene so I can transform them together.

I'm using 3D-Coat V4.

How do I get them both into the scene of the voxel room so I can do what you suggest?

This is an image of where I am at... from this stage how do I save or export this to the voxel room so I can fit them together and give coth to the pants I made in the retopo room?

Thanks!

post-37853-0-49472800-1378387914_thumb.j

1)  Launch 3D-Coat and from the Opening Dialog choose "Voxel sculpting".

2)  Click on the icon which looks like a folder.

3)  Select your model (which you have saved as an .obj).  The Voxel Room will open and your model will be in "Transform Mode".  (If you can't see it, it is scaled too small - so use the middle gizmo cube to scale it up until it is about 1/2 the size of the Viewport).

4)  Press "Enter" to add your model to the scene - it will now occupy the first available Voxel Layer. (Maybe this first Layer is the guy wearing the pants).

5)  Add a new Voxel layer to hold the pants (with the little "+" key located at the far right of the name of the Voxel layer, in the Voxel Layer Panel).

6)  Highlight this new layer and from the Tool Panel on the far left, choose the "Merge" tool.  From the bottom of the "Tool Options" Panel, choose "Select mesh" - and select your "pants" model using the opening dialog.

7)  Align the pants to the guy using the Transform gizmo, pressing "Enter" to add the pants to the new Voxel Layer.

Now, you have 2 independent Voxel layers which can be detailed separately.  

8)  When complete, go to the Retopo Room to create topology for each separate Voxel layer, or, you can Merge the 2 Voxel layers first, to add topology to the combined model.

Greg Smith 

• Like 1

Okay, I did the first two steps. I imported my model into the voxel room. I scaled it to how I want it in the view area. However, I get this on my model after I hit ENTER. How do I get rid of this gray stuff all over the model??? I really appreciate the help!

Thanks!

post-37853-0-58995000-1378401566_thumb.j

Me finally got it!!! YAY! Thank you!

Some of the videos I watched were helpful but not actually showing you visually these steps that you all explained to me. When it is easily explained, I can catch on pretty quick. Hopefully my Poser skills will be just as good after learning more about what 3D-Coat can do. Now that I can create my own clothing, there are endless possibilities! :)

post-37853-0-95210000-1378404141_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Hi ,Im another one who dont get it yet , so if anyone wants to tell me more....... I need it .I will try to attach a file of crashes .As you know the follow on with merge is quite difficult to get as enter apply always overloads the system , and crash, so far no go . The actual proceedure is not explained anywhere as the available tutorials are for previous versions , difficulty being how to tell 3dc to change objects , is it in new layer, cant do that yet , everything I try gets the crash , the message is system overload .   The brush may not be chosen properly I am new and 4.5 is not documented here , any info welcome totally .There a lotta people who know , but will they see this . I hope so

post-40288-0-03082300-1459344272_thumb.j

• 4 years later...