3DCoat Forums

Photogrammetry to a new level 4D

spacepainter

• Contributor

this makes me think that being an artist will be totally obsolete in 5 years.

Don't worry, there's still plenty of things a 3d scanner can't do, and won't do without an artist on board, just look at what a scanner get from people, and look at what the "esthetical-commercial" canons are...

I also see a lot of work coming ahead with digitalization of real world actors now and in the future...

Also remember that ultra-realism isn't much of a success in painting... after the initial impact I'm pretty sure a lot of people will want some more artistry on board  :)

There's no denying the work profiles are gonna need some changes, but it's always been about adaptation right ? :)

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Strange, I feel the complete opposite; I just feel those techniques sharpen my pencils as it were.

I don't feel an artist is someone who is very good at reproducing reality or an excellent draughtsman perse.

The artist in my eyes, is capable of using techniques to reveal a unique view on reality.

• Contributor

Strange, I feel the complete opposite; I just feel those techniques sharpen my pencils as it were.

I don't feel an artist is someone who is very good at reproducing reality or an excellent draughtsman perse.

The artist in my eyes, is capable of using techniques to reveal a unique view on reality.

That's not it, those tools are copy machine, artists can give style, sense to a lifeless copy, and that is something no machine or process can give. I'm speaking for those fearing those process may endanger their work. Ofc art can take many other forms.

• Advanced Member

I feel exactly the same as Beat!

I backed the Fuel 3D Scanner on Kickstarter so that I (as an artist) can use the data captured to add to my arsenal.

Reference pictures are great, reference videos are great but the level of realism (and un-realism) I will be able to achieve by using, studying, modifying and re-engineering my own scans of faces, hands, ears, feet, plants, rocks, animals, ect is going to be amazing!

I will distribute some of this data to my fellow artists on these forums to use and learn from without having to pay Hollywood premium rates.

There will always be a limit to what a non artist will be able to do with this data in the same way that a non creative photographer will usually produce rubbish pictures.

The invention of camera's did not stop painters...

We are safe... There will always be a need for us artists.

• Like 1

One of my friends at a local company here in Portland is using this technique to enhance his business of doing 3D and other such things. It's strangely very accurate. Interesting tech, for sure.

An artist can never be replaced. The human mind is a strange and wonderful peice of art itself, and can come up with wildly unique ideas and art. I do not fear the loss of artistry.

• Contributor

The artistry lies in the conception and the execution flows from the tool box. Also, animation calls on the animator to be an actor and acting is an art form. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Look at all the crap produced with live actors. Imagine what it would take for a 3D scanner to reproduce some of the things shown in this forum.

• Contributor

Sure, some of us may lose their job because of technology like this, but many artistic roles cannot be replaced by any kind of technology. For example, let's say that they make an accurate scan of a person, but then they want to make half of that person's body into a robot. Sure, they can also scan some kind of real-world robot, but how are they going to mix the two scans together and make it look good? They need an artist for that. Probably the artist would need to sculpt the robot parts in 3D too, since there aren't many humanoid robots available to be scanned. There will always be work for us to do at some point during the process.

Also, the late Ray Harryhausen thought that he would no longer have a job as a stop motion animator once his stop motion concept work for Jurassic Park was thrown out and replaced with 3D animation. He thought he would have no future left in the industry, but he adapted and survived. There are still stop motion animated movies being made these days (Paranorman, Frankenweenie, The Boxtrolls, etc.)

• Advanced Member

When photography came up, what artists - 2d painters said about it? 

Degas loved photography, he also used it as reference in his dancers studies.

After photography, now we know what is art, and, what is not art. This is what most artists said. 

What we do in art is to measure our thoughts, our feelings. This is all about art. IMO, this is why it exists. 

Start visiting museums. Try to forget 3d art for a moment. Try to stay away from any craftsmanship, anatomy, technology or other knowledge. 

Masterpieces may have a very deep impact to us. Warning! 

However, I really enjoyed the link. Impressive. 

I wonder, what Mr Spock could say about it. Fascinating ? Or, just interesting? (LOL) 

• Advanced Member

Hey Guys!

I just got in on the Beta for this interesting bit of software! http://www.triayaam.com/index.php/blog/

It will tide me over until my 3d scanner arrives and has some really interesting features. Its like 123d catch with an extra level of detail and user input.

The video on this page is quite impressive!

• Like 1