3DCoat Wishlist

Carlosan

would love to hear andrew comment about these issues. whats his ideas for the future? where does he want to take 3dcoat. are there any plans of making the feedback from the artists using the software more valueable?

cause it seems the biggest limitation right now is not in the software, but in the planning, organization, knowledge of the 3D workflow, etc, etc, etc.

may be...i said may be... occurred to him to do some thing at early times of 3DC development... but now his develop knowledge is far superior and he understood a fast way to accomplish it   :D

//edit

Layer group in Paint room solved at version 4.1.07

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor

I would be delighted if instead of a flat retopo group list we had some kind of hierarchy, like in VoxTree. Sometimes flat list is simply not enough.

Also, what I found very limiting and troublesome to work with are:

1. bake scan settings
  2. influence zones

Both are affecting everything globally. What I mean by this is that it is impossible to set different values for each retopo group.

For example imagine a character with two layers of clothing: shirt and jacket. If you need to slightly tweak the in/out bake distance of the first one, it will also affect every other group in the scene. Similarly, if you place an influence zone on a shirt: it will affect all retopo groups in its range: the jacket and probably even the body of the character. IMHO this isn't how it should work.

• 6 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Bake scan settings - every UVset need to use their own setting, not a global one.

A big, big Plus *1* on this feature request...  On a complicated model, well it gets very complicated to keep adjusting using the spheres globally... If it was broken down by uv set / retopo layers it would be much more manageable and accurate. You would get better normal and displacement maps..

Edited by digman

• Contributor

My most desired feature for 3DC, or at least for Retopo Room, is Sketch-Based Generation and Editing of Quad Meshes (already mentioned several times on these pages):

Or at least something very similar to it. Something that would enable us to quickly lay down key edge loops and poles, and let the program create the desired amount of fill loops for us. All this with the resulting mesh being easily editable.

---

Another feature I'd like to see is a tool that would let us to select loops on our mesh and mark them as key loops. Such loops would not be affected by Relax and Brush Smooth tools. This would allow for keeping the shape of those loops, and nicely relaxing all fill loops that are between them.

---

Full support of OpenSubdiv CC algorithm in Retopo Room and bake settings.

• Like 2

Andrew spent 1.5 years on the sculpt room, and I'd like to see something similar for the paint room and things relating to painting. While I really enjoy the PBR materials, there are so many more things that can be done.  Especially relating to UV maps and painting. One of the biggest complains from a client I'm hearing (and it's one of mine), is that there is no multiple UV tile support. Proper support, not the half-measure we have where it imports tiles as maps.

That's what I'd like to see addressed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

While this may sound like a continuation of the re-projection function that was mentioned above, it's slightly separate.  Right now, it appears that we need to sculpt, retopo or autotopo, project, and then paint.  Seems to me that the fix is not to bother with projection or even UV/Retopo until long after the sculpting AND painting are done.  Why bother painting at a certain resolution, because it follows the UV/Retopo/Projection phase at a particular resolution?  All that seems to do is limit the quality of the texture work being done.  ZBrush works this way, as well, and it's annoying.

Just sculpt...paint...and then do the other work.  As far as an argument for or against having to go back and make edits to prototypes...why bother going through all the UV/retopo hassle if you're going to make major changes, anyway.  Just autotopo and then decide on the changes.  There's no doubt in my mind that a re-projection function would be helpful, as I do know that you can't always get that final sculpt/retopo the first go-round after a prototype is decided on, but it sounds like this would be an automated function...as you sculpt, as you retopo, but perhaps done behind the scenes, until you press that "Finalize" button that spits out a production item.

Edited by alvordr

• Reputable Contributor

While this may sound like a continuation of the re-projection function that was mentioned above, it's slightly separate.  Right now, it appears that we need to sculpt, retopo or autotopo, project, and then paint.  Seems to me that the fix is not to bother with projection or even UV/Retopo until long after the sculpting AND painting are done.  Why bother painting at a certain resolution, because it follows the UV/Retopo/Projection phase at a particular resolution?  All that seems to do is limit the quality of the texture work being done.  ZBrush works this way, as well, and it's annoying.

Just sculpt...paint...and then do the other work.  As far as an argument for or against having to go back and make edits to prototypes...why bother going through all the UV/retopo hassle if you're going to make major changes, anyway.  Just autotopo and then decide on the changes.  There's no doubt in my mind that a re-projection function would be helpful, as I do know that you can't always get that final sculpt/retopo the first go-round after a prototype is decided on, but it sounds like this would be an automated function...as you sculpt, as you retopo, but perhaps done behind the scenes, until you press that "Finalize" button that spits out a production item.

The below is if I am understanding what you stated otherwise ignore my commment.

You can vertex paint on your surface mode object by switching to the paint room with no retopoing or baking. Of course the quality of painting is depended upon the amount of vertices you have in your model.  More vertices mean higher quality. Great for the prototyping colors etc...  You can bake the vertex colors to use at least as a base for your finish work.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew spent 1.5 years on the sculpt room, and I'd like to see something similar for the paint room and things relating to painting. While I really enjoy the PBR materials, there are so many more things that can be done.  Especially relating to UV maps and painting. One of the biggest complains from a client I'm hearing (and it's one of mine), is that there is no multiple UV tile support. Proper support, not the half-measure we have where it imports tiles as maps.

That's what I'd like to see addressed.

Yes, Yes and more Yes... +1 and some of the long standing feature requests for the retopo room that have been mentioned in this thread and at Mantis...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

The below is if I am understanding what you stated otherwise ignore my commment.

You can vertex paint on your surface mode object by switching to the paint room with no retopoing or baking. Of course the quality of painting is depended upon the amount of vertices you have in your model.  More vertices mean higher quality. Great for the prototyping colors etc...  You can bake the vertex colors to use at least as a base for your finish work.

True, but that's not obvious to most newcomers and some others.  Perhaps we need to highligh/tout that capability?  Also, does that include emissive and layer painting?

• Reputable Contributor

True, but that's not obvious to most newcomers and some others.  Perhaps we need to highligh/tout that capability?  Also, does that include emissive and layer painting?

Yes, I was only bringing to your attention that that vertex painting is included. I have not been to the official 3DCoat website to see how much information it is given so newcomers are aware of it.

Emissive works for the default shader, some of the other shaders might have problems and layer painting is included. Never paint on layer "0" it will mess things up...

Well, 3DC makes me a BBQ every Saturday and Sometimes on Sunday as well... :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

Just that I wont forget. Features to fix preferably asap:

1. Current tesselation algorithm is unable to work well with very low poly meshes eg. cube -it makes cube shrink and deform (blender doesn't have this problem, but sculptris suffers from it too). See below simple cube sculpted with LC brush(dosen't look like cube any longer) :

Cube.jpg

Also there seems to be problem with uneven triangulation of mesh on edge of each brush dab. See below I made 2 strokes with LC brush with hi spacing on left and low spacing on right. First dab, at beginning of each stroke, looks great (better than blenders or sculptris). But then mesh gets corrupted and there are areas of higher triangle density.

Storke.jpg

This is fine until you want to smooth it out. Below I marked in red how bad mesh surface looks after smoothing geometry like the one above. So I learned to not use smooth brush in 3dcoat, and use polish brushes to fix that. But this is not solution, just workaround. I really wish I did not have to spent my time fixing ugly bumps one mesh like those anymore. 

NotSooGoodTriangulation.jpg

Somehow blender and sculptris both manage to get even mesh distribution on each brush dab.

To sum up I wish 3dc have better better mesh triangulation algorithm, that works on low poly meshes and gives nice even mesh distribution.

2. I would love to have all 3dc surface brushes to have option to work in LC mode. Just like in blender or sculptris where user can enable dynamic tesselation for all the surface tools. I especially like how rapid1 and rapid2 brushes work, and it makes me sad I cannot combine them with LC.

Sorry for lots of images.

Edited by JoseConseco
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

From what I have experienced so far I would love to see the sculpting side of 3D Coat get drastically improved, more so along the lines of brush behavior and detail creation. Anything to get it feeling a lot closer to zbrush's brush quality.

Other than that, generally see the UI both visually and layout go through a metamorphosis, a lot can be simplified and presented in a visually/functionally streamlined manner.

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

First, with the new smoothing routine in Beta 12,  I hope as well that the brushes will themselves get some love in that area of not creating bumps. They are a lot better but still need some improving...

Now the general brush is really easy to get what you shown in your picture as you are building your brush from scratch...

Here is a setting that works better shown in the picture. Also make sure that your Alpha has Spacing enabled and set at 10% or 5%. Make sure you turn off snap midpoints as shown in the image.

This Brush works best by applying a few strokes, lifting the tablet pen, then rinse and repeat...

Plus your detail level will effect how fast you can lay down the stroke.

It is fun to play around with the General Brush to see what kind of brushes you can create. That is the reason the General Brush was added, for the adventurous...

post-518-0-71009800-1423866993_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• 1 month later...
  • Contributor

There is no easy way of moving multiple UV islands between the sets in the UV room. You can paint selection in the UV preview window, but good luck with picking up those tiny islands with it.

SelectAllVisibleFaces AngelScript function is broken in UV room and picks up invisible faces too (it works fine in the retopo room) and there's no Select tool like there is in retopo. It  makes UV room - a room that is supposed to be fully dedicated to managing UVs - inferior to the retopo room in what it supposed to do, which is quite peculiar.

So maybe:

- fix the SelectAllVisibleFaces function in the UV room

- add some tool to marquee/lasso select multiple faces and islands in the UV room.

I know that I once voted against it, but on second thoughts, maybe it is in fact a good idea to merge UV and retopo rooms after all, providing the resulting room would retain all functionality from BOTH rooms?

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Minor:  I'd like the presentation for alphas, shaders..ect to have the same visual consistency as the rest of the UI.  What I mean by this is the removal of the black squares (background), the look of the shader orbs either showing full matcap images or at the very least have the boxes include rounded corners like the voxel/sculpt tool icons. Brushes in the presets tab also have the black removed to give a much more consistent visual presentation.

In short, just some more visual consistency across the UI as a whole. It would definitely help 3D Coats visual appeal/professionalism going into 4.5.

• Advanced Member

great topic.

I'm blown away by the new release. I was fast before but now. wow.

my wishlist.

-Uv room: unwrap only the selected faces and pack them into any available place so I don't have to change textures. I like to keep adding things to textured unwrapped models a lot. it's possible now, but it should be easier.

-tweak room: transform tool needs a select all option.

-assignable hotkeys for right click on vox tree menu. rename, decimate etc.

-viewport: needs game mode camera with look and wasd navigation for world building

-import tool: respect spacing bush options and a scale jitter for scattering instance objects. (sprite cards etc)

-inport/export to allembic.

-viewport: needs delete option on env map chooser. can only add.

-render room: option to render spherical hdr env maps.

-import/spline tool: better support for uv mapped models when in surface mode.

-when downgrading a voxlayer, I wish the decimation used better cavity masking to preserve creases better.

-really wish there were a unified freeze menu so the same freeze can be used between, vox extrude, layer, pose, split, cut off, painting etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Advanced Member

one more minor bug. but it makes me nuts.

I have vox layers with transforms scaling them up to mountain sizes. works great. the voxel density is low but I can sculpt the terrain and the horizon well. the bug is that the brush radius and the apply curve/models don't respect the vox layer scale transform. since the brush radius right mouse drag size is limited to 500, I am forced to type in a brush radius value of 5000 over and over again. I know it makes sense for novice users to limit it, but with a scaled vix layer, working at massive scale is performant and awesome.

also: applying models to scaled vox layers gives an inaccurate warning about trying to apply a giant volume and creating a billion polygons and running out memory. but -this is not true since the receiving vox layer is also huge so the apply will only add a few thousand more poly's to the scene.

short version.

1: brush radius needs to be scaled by selected vox layers scale.

2: apply model warning logic needs to be extended to understand target layers scale transform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1