3DCoat Forums

Features request priorities - share ideas for improving the program

Carlosan

• Advanced Member

Sounds like we're going in the direction Cheetah3D did years ago.  I'm happy about that.  It's great to have the ability we do now in 3D Coat to paint, and adding in nodal/procedural textures is going to be a big step up from that.

• Reputable Contributor

yup

i believe too that 4.1 to 4.2 transition its based in paint room improvements

new nodal mode for textures, new shader system, procedural textures...

Does this mean Andrew is going to proceed to plug Cycles in, himself (I understand he gave that task to Raul before he headed back to Cuba)? Cause, Cycles has it's own nodal shading system, correct? If so, then there wouldn't be much reason to develop the node system in-house, but rather use Cycles, instead

• Reputable Contributor

I think carlosan is talking about a node base system for creating and adjusting your texturing which is at the heart of Substance Designer..

Of course I  do not think that Andrew is going to do away with painting by hand but a combination of Substance Designer and Substance Painter type of features would really bring the paint room up to speed with all the current developments in the 3D texturing world...

post-518-0-91687300-1396544429_thumb.png

Edited by digman

digman is true

a substance designer / ddo development to be a strong competitor in procedural texture and to become a real alternative -this is my believes, i havent any mail from Andrew confirming this-

i dont know about cycles, sorry

• Contributor

You do realize that the basic stuff is not even in or consistent/reliable and not fighting the user experience, that you're asking to integrate clone parts of other software from entirely different paradigm ?

Damn. I hate to put sticks in beehives but I'm starting to know why we're still waiting for 3dcoat to be accepted in a lot of studios/companies... Always asking for the latest tech without looking at the current tools from artistry pov. Lot of new toys, but tons of things missing to make clean, cool stuff, the old school but reliable way.

Anyway: tnx Andrew for folders in layers panel: that's the kind of BASIC stuff that's VERY MUCH needed to be even considered in those domain.

For TLDR people: Make stuff SOLID before copying the competition which have ALREADY SOLID BASES before their unique stuff.

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

LOL, Beatkitano...

We just be talking, no harm in that... I think Andrew is a big boy and can handle spurts of fantasy thinking. I know full well and I think Andrew does too that 3DC needs basic stuff done, like the layer folder structure he is working on.  

Anyway I was just clearing up something that was misunderstood by AbnRanger and made a comment about possible future developments in the paint room...

Edited by digman

+1.Yes, please. but somewhere at the top of the list, needs to be REAL sculpt layers (per object) with masking or morph targets. This is THE feature that both Mudbox and ZBrush have long had, and 3D Coat missing. I asked Andrew about this several months before V4 was officially released and he said he would look into it right after that release. IMHO, it's the No.1 obstacle to attracting top notch sculpters from the ranks of Mudbox and Zbrush, to 3D Coat. It's just too important of a feature, for them to give up, in order to switch to sculpting in 3D Coat.

I actually have to agree with this.. just migrating over from Zbrush and this missing feature does sting for me, everything else is super cool and responsive and even outshines Zbrush in many ways, but not having a morph/layer per object feature is going to be a bit rough for me :) Even the ability to save one state and morph back to it would be enough for the interim.

+1 for sure

Edited by lildragon

• Reputable Contributor

I actually have to agree with this.. just migrating over from Zbrush and this missing feature does sting for me, everything else is super cool and responsive and even outshines Zbrush in many ways, but not having a morph/layer per object feature is going to be a bit rough for me :) Even the ability to save one state and morph back to it would be enough for the interim.

+1 for sure

I asked Andrew about this recently and he said he has it as a high priority task. So, hopefully, pretty soon. What has complicated it was the dynamic tessellation, but he said he had an idea how to get around that. I think locking the layer (Mudbox does this once you add subdivision to a layer and start working on it), could work.

Nonetheless, that functionality is not totally missing from 3D Coat...just missing in the Voxel workspace. Since 3D Coat also has image-based sculpting in the Paint Room, you have a ton of control over layers you sculpt, there...including masking and increasing or decreasing the depth level. On the whole layer or locally (using the Magnify/Reduction brush). This is great for surface-level detail, like scales, wrinkles, pores, etc...but it kind of breaks up your sculpting workflow. You have to plan ahead somewhat.

• Reputable Contributor

...btw, if you want much of the functionality you have in ZBrush's Noisemaker, use the Fill Tool in the Paint Room. It gives you the ability to apply procedural noise patterns, simultaneously, to color, spec and depth channels on a layer. I hope Andrew adds a lot more procedural noise patterns to the list, but there is a fair bit now. Plus you have the option to use an image map in the same capacity...treating it much like a procedural pattern. You have Cube and Spherical mapping options in the process, as well as an option to apply it to a freeze selection (same as mask in ZB) only. It's another one of those hidden gems in 3D Coat.

I asked Andrew about this recently and he said he has it as a high priority task. So, hopefully, pretty soon. What has complicated it was the dynamic tessellation, but he said he had an idea how to get around that. I think locking the layer (Mudbox does this once you add subdivision to a layer and start working on it), could work.

Nonetheless, that functionality is not totally missing from 3D Coat...just missing in the Voxel workspace. Since 3D Coat also has image-based sculpting in the Paint Room, you have a ton of control over layers you sculpt, there...including masking and increasing or decreasing the depth level. On the whole layer or locally (using the Magnify/Reduction brush). This is great for surface-level detail, like scales, wrinkles, pores, etc...but it kind of breaks up your sculpting workflow. You have to plan ahead somewhat.

This is awesome to hear! Makes me feel a ton better, and even the workaround I don't mind for the time being, I can work with that since surface detail is an end thing for me anyways. 3DC makes me smile :)

Also excellent tip on the noisemaker type feature!

Edited by lildragon

• Reputable Contributor

This is awesome to hear! Makes me feel a ton better, and even the workaround I don't mind for the time being, I can work with that since surface detail is an end thing for me anyways. 3DC makes me smile :)

Also excellent tip on the noisemaker type feature!

If you would, make sure to send Andrew and e-mail to support@3d-coat.com. Perhaps, provide a link to your work...I'm sure he'd be delighted to see it and work with you on the feature(s), to make sure it's very close to what you are used to. He worked with Artman to get the Surface mode brushes right, and I'm really glad for it. It's one of the things I have always liked about 3D Coat. Every so often, you get to see your feature requests implemented and help shape the application. Most everyone here can have a small sense of ownership, because of this. Your input can not only help your own workflow, but everyone else as well.

BTW, here is a video on how you create Paint layer masks. Admitedly, it's not as efficient as having the mask directly on the layer itself (ala, Photoshop), but it works pretty well and this is an area Andrew is supposedly working on, right now (Paint Layer improvements).

Hi just merging some layers and though it works great finding the merged item is a lil tricky at times... is it possible to have the merged item use a suffix of "_merged". Just to make it visually easier to see since the other items aren't deleted. Unless of course there's a checkbox I missed? ;)

Also as a side note for a couple layer improvements that would be awesome;

- Can we have the selected layer be the next in line once we delete a layer? As of right now when you delete a layer the selection goes to the top... This will become annoying when working with 30+ objects as I usually do. :)

- Ability to select multiple layers would rock!

- Layer total count would be nice to have but low on the list

I really love how everything works in 3DC, amazing app.

Edited by lildragon

Now that I'm starting to get my bearings with 3dc, there's so much coolness here that it's almost there. Right now I'm working with retopo and I'm a Topogun nut, but 3DC is quite close from removing this from my pipeline. One thing that I would love to see is a tube like tool to help create things like fingers, legs, pipes and so on in this manner

The strokes brush is a close step in this regards but doesn't quite do the job, currently there's no way to control the curvature (how many points) when generating the mesh. Although you could subdivide it after, and I do love how the splines attach to the curve unlike topogun.

Also a straighten tool  for edges/verts would be most welcomed! Tho by scaling the transform tool in the axis you want is a workaround.

Cheers!

Edited by lildragon

Hmm I guess my noob ways got the better of me and I found Javis vid on tubluar creations! Awesome it's even better than Topogun's now :)

Though another small thing popped up, an ability to move selected verts/edges/faces to center. Right now you have to use the transform tool and type [0] in the x position field which works, but a single click option would be a nice to have

I love learning

Edited by lildragon

• Reputable Contributor

Hmm I guess my noob ways got the better of me and I found Javis vid on tubluar creations! Awesome it's even better than Topogun's now :)

Though another small thing popped up, an ability to move selected verts/edges/faces to center. Right now you have to use the transform tool and type [0] in the x position field which works, but a single click option would be a nice to have

I love learning

You can use the EXTRUDE tool for limbs, tubes, etc. as well. I've asked Andrew over and over and over for a SHIFT + LMB drag option with the Transform tool, to extrude on the fly...like you can do in 3ds Max. That is so handy, and it's hard to work, sometimes, without that. But, the EXTRUDE tool is pretty close to that. It just gets a little wonky toward the end of a sharp ended object. When he's done in the Paint Room, I hope he visits some of the Retoo requests I've posted on Mantis. BTW, this video was made before the FREE Extrude tool came along. That is basically the equivalent to INSET/BEVEL in 3ds Max or Extrude in Maya.

• Advanced Member

Frankly, the strokes tool would be much better if we could simply draw the lines in one direction, say across the arm vertically, and then press the number of subdivisions we want going perpendicular to that.  You wouldn't even need a modifier dialogue, but simply key in the number and press enter to commit.

• Contributor
Frankly, the strokes tool would be much better if we could simply draw the lines in one direction, say across the arm vertically, and then press the number of subdivisions we want going perpendicular to that. You wouldn't even need a modifier dialogue, but simply key in the number and press enter to commit.

You mean that you would like to draw a row of quad polygons (like in Maya)? I'd like that too!

Also I would like to have the ability to slide a group of disconnected polygons along the surface (like in Modo).

Also, automatic welding of disconnected groups of polygons (when they are dragged across the surface closer to other groups of polygons) would be wonderful! If you drag your group near another group and you see that the weld would be incorrect (via OpenGL preview), you could just drag it far enough away so the preview disappears, set it down, and then perform the weld manually as desired.

I must say after going through the process with an asset I'm currently finishing up, 3DC is the best purchase I've made in a long while. The automatic uv'ing is in a class on its own! Anyhoo to my "requests"

Retopo

- Fantasic tools! However I think the split tools could be improved by allowing the split to happen across multiple edges, instead of splitting one by one..  This would tie in nicely with the way you can rotate around a model and still have the split line remember were you last clicked (this btw is immensely useful, I hate losing that split line in other apps)

- When using the Mark Seams it would be awesome if we had a live select feature, were you can just drag along edges and it automatically marks the seams under your mouse, right now you have to click, click, click :)

- When selecting an element in the UV preview (verts/edge/face) it would be awesome if this also selected the corresponding element in the 3d view... it got difficult for me to hunt down stray unwrapped areas at times

- Dual screen support would be a nice to have... I usually tear off panels in other apps to have more real estate... this might be a performance thing so that's why I think it's a "nice to have"

Love this software

Edited by lildragon
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I must say after going through the process with an asset I'm currently finishing up, 3DC is the best purchase I've made in a long while. The automatic uv'ing is in a class on its own! Anyhoo to my "requests"

Retopo

- Fantasic tools! However I think the split tools could be improved by allowing the split to happen across multiple edges, instead of splitting one by one..  This would tie in nicely with the way you can rotate around a model and still have the split line remember were you last clicked (this btw is immensely useful, I hate losing that split line in other apps)

- When using the Mark Seams it would be awesome if we had a live select feature, were you can just drag along edges and it automatically marks the seams under your mouse, right now you have to click, click, click :)

- When selecting an element in the UV preview (verts/edge/face) it would be awesome if this also selected the corresponding element in the 3d view... it got difficult for me to hunt down stray unwrapped areas at times

- Dual screen support would be a nice to have... I usually tear off panels in other apps to have more real estate... this might be a performance thing so that's why I think it's a "nice to have"

Love this software

Agreed on your first and last points, but the other 2 are available...in fact, the seam selection in 3D Coat is probably the fastest you'll find in any 3D app. I don't even touch UV's in 3ds Max anymore, largely for this reason.

UV Path (and Loop selection):

Select UV islands in 3D Viewport:

Amazing again I'm a happy camper, the UV path tool reminds me of google maps routing :)

For the select islands, yeah I watched this one before, but it's not exactly what I mean... I meant like in Max for example in the uv editor, you can select an element in that window and it will select the same in 3d space.

Update on request

- The hide UV options is missing one function... Hide unselected... right now you have to hide, then Inv. Hidden... Also for some reason my Unhide All doesn't work or I'm using it wrong? :( Probably the latter! If someone can verify.

- Also the ability to Mark Seams in the UV space would be handy to have.

Thx!

Edited by lildragon

• Reputable Contributor

When you select an island in the UV preview window, the island will be selected in the 3D Viewport. Likewise, if you are in FACES mode, you can select a polygon and see it highlighted in the 3D Viewport as well. At least it's working on my end. Also, you can select UV seams in the Preview Window. Choose a sub-object mode, like EDGES > select edges you want to convert to seams (double-clicking an edge will select the entire loop) > SET SEAMS (at bottom of the tool panel)

Oh, I forgot to attach the screen grab...

post-1118-0-61013200-1397878454_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Currently the Bake Scan Zones do not appear to be supported by symmetry. Does anyone know if there is a work-around, that doesn't involve fixing the texture after the fact? I always end up putting quite a few of those zones in, prior to baking, so it could be a time saver having the zones being mirrored across.

• 1 year later...

+1.Yes, please. but somewhere at the top of the list, needs to be REAL sculpt layers (per object) with masking or morph targets. This is THE feature that both Mudbox and ZBrush have long had, and 3D Coat missing. I asked Andrew about this several months before V4 was officially released and he said he would look into it right after that release. IMHO, it's the No.1 obstacle to attracting top notch sculpters from the ranks of Mudbox and Zbrush, to 3D Coat. It's just too important of a feature, for them to give up, in order to switch to sculpting in 3D Coat.

hi, sorry to bump, but was this added somewhere along the way ?

nope ?

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=950

• Advanced Member

hi, sorry to bump, but was this added somewhere along the way ?

nope ?

Nope.

I have read that it is on the to do list once pbr has been fully passed with a complete bill of health.

3DC I am sure will undergo a directional reevaluation and expansion with regard polygonal editing options.

• Advanced Member

I would love to see performance improvements in general but for large meshes specifically. With voxels i always get the feeling that current PC tech is not fast enough yet for the technology. And you got to work with large meshes if you want no pixelation.

• Reputable Contributor

Please send a personal request for this feature, to Andrew via e-mail (support@3d-coat.com), if it's fairly important to you. I've been banging the table for this for well over a year now, and it seems PBR has taken all of Andrew's attention the past several months. After he works on SSS in PBR, I think it Sculpt Layers should be next.

Currently you DO have sculpt layer capability in 3D Coat...just not in the SCULPT room, where one would expect and most want to use it. You can find the Sculpt layer workflow in the Paint Room, using Image-based sculpting (live normal/displacement map painting/sculpting). It forces one to split their sculpting workflow into separate stages in the pipeline, and that can be a hassle. But, at least there is some sculpt layer capability in 3D Coat...an at least for surface-level detail, it  it works really well; plus it is far more (hardware) efficient than pushing around millions of polygons.

Still, the longer Andrew puts this off, the longer ZBrush and Mudbox artists will continue to turn their noses to sculpting in 3D Coat.

• Like 1