3DCoat Forums

What am I lacking for realism?

KillersNight

Hi guys.

I am posting this for help and advise. I have been modeling human characters in 3d-coat, then rendering a scene with them in blender. But i just keep noticing that my characters aren't close to real, they look more like mannequins. Am i just lacking something, or am i just fundamentally wrong?? would really appreciate some advise for this...

Here are some of my recent works (hair is done with blender hair emitter)

post-37871-0-66856200-1379750679_thumb.p

post-37871-0-47357800-1379750690_thumb.p

post-37871-0-06488100-1379750668_thumb.p

post-37871-0-11520300-1379750702_thumb.p

post-37871-0-39541900-1379750713_thumb.p

post-37871-0-49281900-1379750766_thumb.p

Thanks ^_^

• Contributor

Imho they're way too simple, you describe it well "mannequin" like. You need to study anatomy more, the human body is so crazy in shapes and subtleties...

Study, study and study you'll see why you feel it's weird :)

The more you study the more you understand how far from the model you're :)

Seikan.jpg

Thanks for the advise!

Yeah I do realise the details I am missing. I will study more and try to incorporate it for my next project, hopefully.

Are your models sculpted in 3D-coat? If so does it mean you will need a powerful computer to run the high resolution voxels for the details? Or is there other ways than just using high resolution?

• Contributor

Use surface mode and liveclay/removestretching brushes. Way more precise and very fast. Simply click on the little "V" in the voxtree to turn it into a "S" and you're set.

Voxels are a somewhat obsolete tech in 3dcoat (but they're still nice, simply much less advanced and ressource consuming).

And yes the model is sculpted in 3dcoat (and rendered there too on those pictures).

• Advanced Member

Looking nice Beat!  Why are the cheeks a little lumpy?  I think the smooth/polish abilities of 3D Coat could still use some refinement. 

To the original poster, same as Beat said, study, study, study...Good reference also is crucial, observe and hold yourself to high standard, avoid saying, that's good enough...if you see a problem, always figure out how to fix it. 

Aim for structure and proportions before detail.  Build up gradually and slowly, don't rush for a finished looking piece.