3DCoat Forums

2nd Challenge - Sculpt And Texture Alien Bust

ebitz

• Advanced Member

I myself have been on a alien kick lately. I thought this would be fun to really let your creativity run wild. Not only that but we will expand our skill set into micro-vertex painting or essentially just texture painting your sculpt.

Contest Guidelines:

1. Sculpt an alien bust (shoulders up), due to time constraints. Make a variation on your favorite alien, or sculpt a completely new one.

2. Take it into the paint room and give it some love.

3. Make a nice presentation shot as if you were giving it to a client for review, as if it was a concept. Use any Image editing software you would like for this portion. All your texturing though should be done in 3D Coat. I will be judging that based on your WIPS.

4 Resolution of final is up to you. I recomend staying above 1k (Portrait)

Thats it. Budget your time because there is essentially more than enough time with 4 weeks. Remember, professionals do this kind of work in a couple of days or less(understood that they are spending 12 hours a day doing it).

Ready, set, go. Lets see what we can do. You go 4 weeks.

• Like 1

• Contributor

A new challenge! Good show! :)

I have a question:

1. Sculpt an alien bust (shoulders up), (...)

What if alien has no humanoid or animal features, so it's impossible to determine from what body areas its bust would comprise? In other words, is it acceptable to submit an alien that is non-humanoid?

I have a question:

What if alien has no humanoid or animal features, so it's impossible to determine from what body areas its bust would comprise? In other words, is it acceptable to submit an alien that is non-humanoid?

Sculpt the top of the blob, and make it look like it's smiling for the camera?

Or make it so that we're looking at the equivalent area, by having it eating or something instead, perhaps?

Giving this a go, but being so nooby, It's just for the fun of it/learning 3Dcoat.

Side and front so far.

post-11720-0-36510400-1380217643_thumb.j

post-11720-0-73552600-1380217647_thumb.j

Edited by Ruth Spacecookie Andrews

• Advanced Member

I have a question:

I would say pick the most defining area of your character, the part that the audience is going to relate to and understand. Imagine your giving it to a client. They need to understand and see where the concept is headed.

Man, Ruth is already into it, nice, and glad to see some others will be joining.

So I spent a lot more time refining and pushing this further.  First of all I worked on the eye-type-things:-
post-11720-0-34080700-1380259547_thumb.jpost-11720-0-86151800-1380259547_thumb.j

Then I went a lot further with my idea for this piece, though I still have a lot to do.

post-11720-0-38293300-1380259548_thumb.jpost-11720-0-18597000-1380259549_thumb.j

I'm going to leave it there for now. I need to sleep and get on with my every day life. :)

Your alien appears to have evolved in a marine enviroment.

Yes indeed.  I think I was inspired by all the recent talk of exoplanets, and how the nearest likeliest neighbour to possibly have intelligent life in our solar-system is in the oceans of Europa.

I'm a bit of a science geek and love the possibilities presented by the whole Kepler mission.

The spines on my alien, which look a little like spider appendages are in fact to support fins :)

• Advanced Member

Yes, Beatkitano, nice work so far. The details on the teeth, and the crab like plates really lend themselves to identifying them as those surfaces, if that makes any sense.

Ruth, looking forward to more updates from you

And hopefully we see some more from everyone else. I'm excited.

As for me, this is the direction I am headed.

post-13655-0-23653600-1380510074_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Nice work guys and girls!

I will have to get cracking on this soon. I have a few ideas and am finally settled on a theme. I am going to go for beauty.

I am going to try to create a gorgeous, supermodel style alien with highly accentuated female features.

I love yours Beat! Wouldn't want to kiss him / her though.  ;)

Gosh, you're all so good at this.

Here's another post update from my noob-like self. :)

I've been having difficulties with the membranes of the fins, and really can't make them look how I want despite trying for hours, in lots of different ways, with lots of undoing or just completely deleting the layer and starting that mess all over again.  The shaders I've used are only temporary, and I'll paint my alien as a final step. :)

post-11720-0-55849500-1380726117_thumb.jpost-11720-0-44000200-1380726118_thumb.j

• Contributor
Nice more peeps \o/

I like your skin rendering Artman :)

My progress so far (don't mind the shoulder/torso I'm not even sure where to go with that, I've a few ideas but I need a few sketches to get there)

AlienSketcheWip2.jpg

I added a few blobs of color on the gum to get a sense of what it may look like with fleshy tones.

• Advanced Member

Hey guys,

I'm loving the alien sculpts!  Really awesome stuff everyone.   Really like what you've got going Beatkitano.  Looking really nice...the eyes are throwing me off a little though.  Love the mouth!

Here is my submission...still a work in progress, I started a few days ago, but only found time to post progress today.  I'm also recording my progress, so hopefully I can share that at some point as well.

It's kind of an alien creature more so than a humaniod Starwars or Startrek style alien...definitely leaning towards the creature side of things...

post-3280-0-03572400-1380770633_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-70835000-1380770729_thumb.jppost-3280-0-83157600-1380770811_thumb.pn

Edited by gbball

Gosh, blooming 'eck, as you're all so professional with your looks, I feel like maybe I shouldn't be posting here, but just in a WIP thread or something separate.

I wanted to see what the turntable upload option did in 3Dc, and well, this is the result, with me as far as I am right now :) I still have lots to do.

138080064774.jpg

The turntable is here:-
http://bit.ly/156EKfy

• Contributor

@gbball

I honestly didn't have the "balls" to go stylized, it's already hard enough to get a solid design going with over characterization is a bit too much work for 4 weeks for me :)

So hats to you, and I like the design so far, I just hope that you work the shapes more though, looks interesting already.

@Ruth Spacecookie Andrews

We're not doing a "mine is better than your's" contest, I like to think those challenges are to help the community grow, produce cool art/see what 3dcoat is capable of doing and most of all: have fun !

So don't start a separate thread, it would be stupid not to show your progress just because you didn't master the program as well as others (yet), it's part of the growing process afterall :)

• Contributor

More details

post-24378-0-72733800-1380824582_thumb.j

Recording the process is good. I do the same.

Would be nice to some others how they create there stuff, like Beatkitano. ;)

@Ruth

Dont be shy, we are all noobs more or less. :)

Edited by Malo

• Contributor

Recording the process is good. I do the same.

Would be nice to some others how they create there stuff, like Beatkitano. ;)

I thought about it mind you, but I've been moving around a lot lately so it wasn't exactly ideal.

I think I'll do a live stream during the week end, now most of the sculpt is "done" with the exception of the torso/shoulder it should only be fiddling details, not very interesting to watch I guess... 

I'll announce it in my sketchbook thread (don't want to add more unecessary message in this thread) soon before I start.

• Contributor

It dont have to be for this Challange.

It is more the fact that there are no good Speedsculpts out there with 3d coat.

You always find zbrush or mudbox, and that sucks. Sure i watch it, and maybe i find a tool the do nearly the same as one of mudbox or zbrush, but it is still always a trial and error to redo the stuff from an other app in 3d coat.

I should capture my stuff, too. But i am not as good as you.