3DCoat Forums

2nd Challenge - Sculpt And Texture Alien Bust

ebitz

• Contributor

Yes, i am stuck at some point, i have to finished it as quick as possible, befor i couldn´t reach the deadline.

I wish i had more experiance to create something like you.

I have still to learn many, many things.

I wish i had more experiance to create something like you.

I really like the character you've done; he looks like he has a soul. The skin looks fantastic and compliments his humanoid appearance.

And so fast!  :blink:

That is one hell of a paint job Carlosan!

Small update. Still in voxel room; is there a "right" time to switch to surface mode? And any tips/ideas for tackling this guys dreads would be greatly appreciated!  :unsure:

predator-wip02smallrpuzp.png

That is one hell of a paint job Carlosan!

Small update. Still in voxel room; is there a "right" time to switch to surface mode? And any tips/ideas for tackling this guys dreads would be greatly appreciated!  :unsure:

predator-wip02smallrpuzp.png

Generally I would do a base shape with voxels, then when it comes time to do more than just suggestive shapes I switch to surface mode (likely similar to the point where you are at, from what I can tell in the screenshot).

BTW, some seriously killer art in this thread. Awesome stuff everyone. Meanwhile, I'm modeling shoes for clients. No aliens. :(

• Advanced Member

Hello Everyone,

I've had 3d-Coat for a few months now, but have just gotten around to really starting to use it. I don't know how much time is left in this competition, but I think these would be an excellent opportunity for me to grow in my skills with this AMAZING program. Would you recommend I simply wait for the next competition, thank you, and I look forward to participating in this!

Yep we're in space. Some of us come from there too.

I've not really had the time to work on my piece at all, but finding the peculiarities of the paint room await me very soon. >_<

• Contributor

Don't give up, the learning curve is steep but it's worthwhile :)

@Marc Wakefield

Hard, you chose the HARDcore path. It's already hard to make a pretty human, so creating an alien that still appeal to human canon is REALLY hard. Best of luck !

@Xenodile

My advice: jump to surface as soon as possible. Better polycount control, crisper details, lighter on the hardware.

Today's progress, I won't show the back since it's mostly solid color at this stage (and I want to get the color scheme set before tackling that part, which will probably nice to look at I think):

AlienSketcheWip7.jpg

• Advanced Member

post-37729-0-91719500-1382042633_thumb.p

Hey guys,

This is the initial concept sculpt for my alien. I am going for a noble look to this alien, almost like the way that elves are often times portrayed in the movies. As this is really my first sculpt ever (without tutorials, just doing this completely from imagination), I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks in advance!

• Advanced Member

Thanks Beat. I will need it.

Its so easy to forget how hard creating beauty is. I will do my best to make her pretty but she may end up pretty ugly! ;-)

Yours is looking so awesome by the way. He (if it is a he) reminds me of one of Ja ja Binks kinsmen but way cooler.

I like the use of colour and mix of flesh and exoskeleton. I imagine he would taste pretty crabby if I tried to eat him..... 

• Advanced Member

Well well well, seeing some great effort here. Less than a week to go. I have finally settled on my final sculpt as well. Onto painting.

A reminder to all as well, that presentation will be accounted for. Example, a slight pose to your character or something that gives us an idea of it's personality might be a good idea.

All put together in a nice final image.

post-13655-0-12925600-1382071808_thumb.j

• Contributor

Great creatures folks! :clapping:

Here's my next WIP report.

There are still some more things left to finish in the sculpture. But I hope I'll be able to start painting the thing on Monday.

The deadline is 25th at 23:59, am I correct?

post-12523-0-55647400-1382136886_thumb.j

post-12523-0-38755700-1382136891_thumb.j

post-12523-0-68780600-1382136896_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Contributor

Wow ajz3d! That's impressive! Great design and I like all of the detail in your sculpt.

I'm also glad that everyone is painting their work. The paint makes everything look even better!

So much great artwork in this thread!

• Reputable Contributor

Blunt teeth suggest an herbivore so I don't feel threatened. :)

Every been around an angry herbivore bull. :aggressive: I have several times growing up as Grandaddy ran some cattle. To be sure you would filled threatened...