3DCoat Forums

2nd Challenge - Sculpt And Texture Alien Bust

ebitz

• Contributor

If its about Holidays, why not choose the next:  Christmas or Advent ;)

Some maybe say "oh thaaaaats boring", but wouldnt that be a good challenge for that very reason.

[edit]: What i mean, because on things/topics in which most people are familiar with, you cannot hide shortcomings.

Not a bad idea althought I don't really now what the details would be, and it's a bit early for christmas (but that's just my opinion).

I've something I would like to try, kind of a personal challenge though: make a sculpt with no symmetry mode at all, a real clay model. I don't know what you guys think ?

• Advanced Member

do you mean with " real clay" the natural classic clay?

How about to create a likeness of a reference ( by your choice, could also be two or three). I m curious to see ZBrush-like sharpness. It was talked much about in the forums, but havent seen anything in this direction.

• Contributor

I though about actor likeness (you get a picture, you make it recognizable), but I was wondering if anyone was up for it, cause it takes a lot of time and it's very hard. The idea of those challenges is to be fun, help people get more familiar with the tools and improve their art. If it's only accessible to a few and discourage others it's no fun but if you guys are up for it why not :).

Just tell me what you think.

About real clay: I mean freeform clay, no automated helper like the symmetry mode does, unlike traditional clay, I think that would make for a cool challenge to fully express ourselves with the freeform tools of 3dcoat and give everyone an equal chance (originality and expressivity over technical mastery) but the theme needs to be carefully chosen (likeness is a bit of a no-no for that imo since it's already very hard as-is)..

• Reputable Contributor

I think the award icon should be done up a bit more professionally, don't you guys? It currently looks like pure clipart = not so good. Really good work everyone. I think the top 3 would be, Beat, ajz3d and Ebitz. Would you 3 mind rendering a turntable (to place on the 3DC Youtube Channel)?

• Contributor

Tell me how I can do that, I spent 2 hours rendering a 128 frames turnaround for youtube and got 128 tga files... 1.75Gb total :/

Rendering animation in 3dcoat is really counter intuitive, unless I do a turntable for the site it always get me unexpected results. And yet if I get a turntable it flickers so much (due to difference in rendering between frames) it hurts the eyes.

Reasons why I never do it and consider stills my best friends.

• Contributor

Tell me how I can do that, I spent 2 hours rendering a 128 frames turnaround for youtube and got 128 tga files... 1.75Gb total :/

Rendering animation in 3dcoat is really counter intuitive, unless I do a turntable for the site it always get me unexpected results. And yet if I get a turntable it flickers so much (due to difference in rendering between frames) it hurts the eyes.

Reasons why I never do it and consider stills my best friends.

Yes, the internal renderer is quite unpredictable when it comes to turntable animation. AbnRanger, if it's fine with you and if it's not a pressing matter, I could provide a turntable in a week or two, after I'm done with retopologisation (I already have some of it completed) and rendering outside of 3D Coat.

Beat, you can get rid of the flickering by bumping up Rays. Of course rendering time will go over the roof, but I found 640 to be a good compromise between speed and quality.

Congratulations everyone, and especially the ones who produced work to such high standards. Also congratulations BeatKitano on being chosen. :)

To upload a turntable, I used lightworks to stitch all the separate images into one short video.  It's free, and it's here: http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=184

• Advanced Member

I think the award icon should be done up a bit more professionally, don't you guys? It currently looks like pure clipart = not so good. Really good work everyone. I think the top 3 would be, Beat, ajz3d and Ebitz. Would you 3 mind rendering a turntable (to place on the 3DC Youtube Channel)?

Let me see what I can do with the turntable, sounds great to me. I'll get back to ya.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah...I agree flickering can be a bit of a problem in 3DC. It did OK with just a preliminary test render I did recently, at 300 rays/frame, and on a GTX 580 it took less than 30 sec-1min/frame.

For the next Challenge, what do you guys think about a hardsurface or character project? Was just reading that the next Avengers movie will be called "Avengers 2 - Age of Ultron." Didn't realize that this character goes way back, and there have been a lot of renditions of him over the years. The challenge could be to create a model of him based on any one of those comic renditions or modify it to your liking...as if you were the Art Director on the project.

There will be a few new characters added to the series, I believe. Including the Scarlet Witch, and perhaps the Vision. The guy who played Kick-A$$ in the self-titled movie, will play Quick Silver. So, the challenge could be to model, sculpt and texture paint one of these new characters, aye? If you all agree, I'll try and see if Andrew will use the winning entry as the background for the 3D Coat mainpage, with credits shown. Will also see if Andrew and Stas can add some kind of prize...maybe a co-promotion with Otoy for Octane Renderer (including the plugin of your choice) or something similar?

6-8wks for the project? I may have to jump in on this one. Got other things to finish up, but I think it would be a good chance to showcase to showcase what both the artist and 3DC can do...with plenty of coolness factor involved.

Here is some research/reference material:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr5rzSMNmRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzbPnlcMxao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrRETFFIbpE

https://www.google.com/search?q=Images+of+ultron&client=firefox-a&hs=EK7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-SRzUpH0OorfsAS1g4D4Aw&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=971

Edited by AbnRanger

I though about actor likeness (you get a picture, you make it recognizable), but I was wondering if anyone was up for it, cause it takes a lot of time and it's very hard. The idea of those challenges is to be fun, help people get more familiar with the tools and improve their art. If it's only accessible to a few and discourage others it's no fun but if you guys are up for it why not :).

Just tell me what you think.

About real clay: I mean freeform clay, no automated helper like the symmetry mode does, unlike traditional clay, I think that would make for a cool challenge to fully express ourselves with the freeform tools of 3dcoat and give everyone an equal chance (originality and expressivity over technical mastery) but the theme needs to be carefully chosen (likeness is a bit of a no-no for that imo since it's already very hard as-is)..

I think this sounds fun, a real great challenge.

• Contributor

Jumping on AbnRanger proposition I think a "create your hero/heroine, or make an alternative version of an existing one (with copyright given where due)" is a cool idea. With the deadline set to first january as a confortable deadline. 

The brief is done, tell me if you're ok with that, and I'll start the contest pretty soon.

Contest Guidelines:

1. Sculpt your hero or heroine from imagination or create an alternative version of an existing character (you must identify the original design though obviously for copyright reasons). 
The character must feature several accessories (external modeling of base mesh is ok but most of the work needs to be done in 3dcoat).
Your character must be created from scratch (generic base mesh allowed), no remix of old projects, show your WIPs often or you'll be disqualified.

2. Texture your character be it either after retopology (if you got the time) or vertex painting. 
The texturing must take place in 3dcoat though some editing in external software through 3dcoat projection system is allowed, as long as it remains reasonable.

3. Make a nice presentation shot as if you were giving it to a client for review, as if it was a concept. 
If you can, try to make your character fit in his environment giving hints about who he's, what's his life's story, but the model is the most important thing in the picture :)
A pose is optional, if you've got time go ahead, it's always nicer to see personality in a character :)

Use any Image editing software you would like for this portion. All your texturing though should be done in 3D Coat, some filters allowed (ie: sharpen, level adjustments, etc) as long as it doesn't drasticaly changes the look of your model . You'll be judged based on your WIPS.

4. Resolution of final is up to you. I recommend staying above 1k (Portrait). More points for close up/detail shots of interesting areas of your character in a separate picture (optional).

Due to the consequent amount of work you've got till the first January to complete this challenge. 
Thats it. Think fast because if this contest is twice as long as the last one, it's still short for a complete character.

Also this time the community will pick the winner, a poll with the final submissions will be done after the deadline.

What you guys think ?

• Reputable Contributor

Jumping on AbnRanger proposition I think a "create your hero/heroine, or make an alternative version of an existing one (with copyright given where due)" is a cool idea. With the deadline set to first january as a confortable deadline. 

The brief is done, tell me if you're ok with that, and I'll start the contest pretty soon.

What you guys think ?

Sounds good. I like the idea of taking a concept handed to you (by an Art Director) and modeling/sculpting/texturing it as best you can, and sometimes the Art Director will give the artist some license to augment/modify the model if it works. This is why I thought an Avenger's 2 themed contest would be a really cool project. Using reference images as a basis to work from removes the need to conceptualize, cause not every good modeler is good at conceptualizing...just recreating what's given them

Edited by AbnRanger

• Contributor

Well, you can always pick a character you want to do, post the picture and have your own take on it :) Self imposed Art Director ^^

I would like to have a narrower imposed theme, because with a few constraints we all tend to work better, but the challenge is already pretty hard I don't want to force people to use concepts they don't necessarily like in the first place.

If this is the brief we choose, I'll have my self imposed rule: sculpt posed, no symmetry, if you like challenge you can do the same. Basicaly it's open season on anything you want as long as you don't go against the rules here :)

• Contributor

So if I understand well you want to be able to make a character without alterations ? I'm fine with that, I'm just concerned about the copyright issues if this material is used on the site. But if it's fine with pilgway I don't see that as an issue.

If anyone from Pilgway staff want to clarify that... :)

• Reputable Contributor

So if I understand well you want to be able to make a character without alterations ? I'm fine with that, I'm just concerned about the copyright issues if this material is used on the site. But if it's fine with pilgway I don't see that as an issue.

If anyone from Pilgway staff want to clarify that... :)

That's true. I don't think there is any issue when the image is a product of a challenge/contest. So, if an image of the winning entry is used in any way (outside of the gallery or forum), then yes, it would be necessary to mention something like "image by Beat Kitno: winner of Character Sculpt Challenge"

• Contributor

Not talking about the right to use the image of the contestant, but to use copyrighted character, I think it qualifies under fair use, but I didn't want to bother pilgway with legal issues, but if this is not a problem then yes straight sculpt from concept is ok.

I just need to be sure before starting the contest, it wouldn't be fair to add this possibility only to remove it later.

• Reputable Contributor

Not talking about the right to use the image of the contestant, but to use copyrighted character, I think it qualifies under fair use, but I didn't want to bother pilgway with legal issues, but if this is not a problem then yes straight sculpt from concept is ok.

I just need to be sure before starting the contest, it wouldn't be fair to add this possibility only to remove it later.

I think your brief covers the parameters fine. Should be a cool challenge.

• Advanced Member

I like this!

I did a model of a long forgotten Marvel character called Deaths Head II (From a Marvel UK Comic similar to 2000AD called OverKill - 1990's) a few years ago (2008) for a GameArtisans Comicon Challenge.

This was when I was first getting in to 3D Sculpting and 3D Coat didn't have voxels. I modeled the character in Wings3D and brought him in to 3D Coat for texturing.

I didn't do him justice as my anatomy skills were not great, I was a noob at humanoid modelling and I was using a severely underpowered Acer Laptop with hardly any Ram.

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/4139-Comicon-Challenge-Marc-Wakefield-Deaths-Head-II?s=f4f84f3053ab50ff022bb3c18e6f32eb

I am going to re-do him for this challenge. The time frame is brilliant (even for an overworked, easily distracted procrastinator like me), My 3D sculpting skills and understanding of muscular anatomy has gone up several levels since 2008.

I am a little scared of the no symmetry rule but he is pretty asymmetric anyway so it shouldn't be too bad.

GAME ON!