3D Coat Forums
ebitz

2nd Challenge - Sculpt And Texture Alien Bust

I myself have been on a alien kick lately. I thought this would be fun to really let your creativity run wild. Not only that but we will expand our skill set into micro-vertex painting or essentially just texture painting your sculpt.

Contest Guidelines:

1. Sculpt an alien bust (shoulders up), due to time constraints. Make a variation on your favorite alien, or sculpt a completely new one.

2. Take it into the paint room and give it some love.

3. Make a nice presentation shot as if you were giving it to a client for review, as if it was a concept. Use any Image editing software you would like for this portion. All your texturing though should be done in 3D Coat. I will be judging that based on your WIPS.

4 Resolution of final is up to you. I recomend staying above 1k (Portrait)

Thats it. Budget your time because there is essentially more than enough time with 4 weeks. Remember, professionals do this kind of work in a couple of days or less(understood that they are spending 12 hours a day doing it).

Ready, set, go. Lets see what we can do. You go 4 weeks.

• Like 1

Nice,

I think I will try to participate in this

A new challenge! Good show! :)

I have a question:

1. Sculpt an alien bust (shoulders up), (...)

What if alien has no humanoid or animal features, so it's impossible to determine from what body areas its bust would comprise? In other words, is it acceptable to submit an alien that is non-humanoid?

I have a question:

What if alien has no humanoid or animal features, so it's impossible to determine from what body areas its bust would comprise? In other words, is it acceptable to submit an alien that is non-humanoid?

Sculpt the top of the blob, and make it look like it's smiling for the camera?

Or make it so that we're looking at the equivalent area, by having it eating or something instead, perhaps?

Giving this a go, but being so nooby, It's just for the fun of it/learning 3Dcoat.

Side and front so far.

post-11720-0-36510400-1380217643_thumb.j

post-11720-0-73552600-1380217647_thumb.j

Edited by Ruth Spacecookie Andrews

I have a question:

I would say pick the most defining area of your character, the part that the audience is going to relate to and understand. Imagine your giving it to a client. They need to understand and see where the concept is headed.

Man, Ruth is already into it, nice, and glad to see some others will be joining.

Sounds good.

Yeah, Ruth has already launched her intergalactic starship's engines!

Time for us folks! :declare:

So I spent a lot more time refining and pushing this further.  First of all I worked on the eye-type-things:-
post-11720-0-34080700-1380259547_thumb.jpost-11720-0-86151800-1380259547_thumb.j

Then I went a lot further with my idea for this piece, though I still have a lot to do.

post-11720-0-38293300-1380259548_thumb.jpost-11720-0-18597000-1380259549_thumb.j

I'm going to leave it there for now. I need to sleep and get on with my every day life. :)

Your alien appears to have evolved in a marine enviroment.

Yes indeed.  I think I was inspired by all the recent talk of exoplanets, and how the nearest likeliest neighbour to possibly have intelligent life in our solar-system is in the oceans of Europa.

I'm a bit of a science geek and love the possibilities presented by the whole Kepler mission.

The spines on my alien, which look a little like spider appendages are in fact to support fins :)

Just dooling for a few hours trying to find cool shapes, I've scrapped a lot and kept those 4, I kinda like 2 and 3 (the most), I may or may not go this way, I expect to make a lot of changes to those designs anyway so at this point everything is open.

AlienSketches.jpg

Ok unless I come up with a better design with another sketch I'll probably go with number 3. A marine alien, overlord of hammersharks, octopuses and crabs :)

number3push.jpg

[Edit] Last Update for today:

AlienContest.jpg

Cool work everybody!Love every single one of them. :)

Alien busts are always great  to relax and challenge yourself at the same time.

Yes, Beatkitano, nice work so far. The details on the teeth, and the crab like plates really lend themselves to identifying them as those surfaces, if that makes any sense.

Ruth, looking forward to more updates from you

And hopefully we see some more from everyone else. I'm excited.

As for me, this is the direction I am headed.

post-13655-0-23653600-1380510074_thumb.j

Nice work guys and girls!

I will have to get cracking on this soon. I have a few ideas and am finally settled on a theme. I am going to go for beauty.

I am going to try to create a gorgeous, supermodel style alien with highly accentuated female features.

I love yours Beat! Wouldn't want to kiss him / her though.  ;)

Gosh, you're all so good at this.

Here's another post update from my noob-like self. :)

I've been having difficulties with the membranes of the fins, and really can't make them look how I want despite trying for hours, in lots of different ways, with lots of undoing or just completely deleting the layer and starting that mess all over again.  The shaders I've used are only temporary, and I'll paint my alien as a final step. :)

post-11720-0-55849500-1380726117_thumb.jpost-11720-0-44000200-1380726118_thumb.j

Nice more peeps \o/

I like your skin rendering Artman :)

My progress so far (don't mind the shoulder/torso I'm not even sure where to go with that, I've a few ideas but I need a few sketches to get there)

AlienSketcheWip2.jpg

I added a few blobs of color on the gum to get a sense of what it may look like with fleshy tones.

Hey guys,

I'm loving the alien sculpts!  Really awesome stuff everyone.   Really like what you've got going Beatkitano.  Looking really nice...the eyes are throwing me off a little though.  Love the mouth!

Here is my submission...still a work in progress, I started a few days ago, but only found time to post progress today.  I'm also recording my progress, so hopefully I can share that at some point as well.

It's kind of an alien creature more so than a humaniod Starwars or Startrek style alien...definitely leaning towards the creature side of things...

post-3280-0-03572400-1380770633_thumb.pnpost-3280-0-70835000-1380770729_thumb.jppost-3280-0-83157600-1380770811_thumb.pn

Edited by gbball

Looking good gbball!

I haven't thought about recording the sculpt but its a good idea.

I so want to get started but have so much work on, A 5 month old who doesn't like sleep anymore and a vomiting 2 and half year old.

Tonight will be the night!