3DCoat Forums

Is there an textbook for 3D COAT?

Robert G. Kelley

I just downloaded 3d COAT. 'Looks interesting, but...is there a book on the subject? I looked in amazon.com, but there was nothing there. Poking around this site, I see that there is a manual being prepared (November release?), but is there anything more? (apart from YouTube)

It would be nice if there were books available for 3d coat.  The same way there are books available for other 3d packages.  I would hope  they would be sold at Barnes and Noble as well.  I am not a real big fan of Amazon (Even though I live in Seattle).

• Reputable Contributor

This has been asked several times over the years, and the short answer is "No." It grows so rapidly, that by the time the book got published, it would already be rendered somewhat outdated. Whereas, with ZBrush and Mudbox, there are lengthy stretches between important releases. For example, if someone had started a reference book for 3D Coat 18-24 months ago, it would be missing some very substantial feature releases/improvements. The performance has drastically improved since then, and even the brush feel/behavior/options have gone to another level since the official V4 release, a few months ago.

• Advanced Member

Whereas, with ZBrush and Mudbox, there are lengthy stretches between important releases.

If you only owned Zbrush and used it a bit you would know how nonsensical this statement is...

But you prefer going on judging blindly about a complex Software you clearly don't know at all. Man, Zbrush's documentation on free updates between version

3.5 and 4R5 alone fill many hundred pdf pages! There's hours of free video material for all mayor new features and a huge Online Documention. 

Pixologic as a larger firm may be not directly comparable to 3DCoat - but this factor doesn't decrease their overall achievements. What you do here is in its origins

only uninformed but it comes across as extremely unfair.

I can at least say that among all software packages I have ever used Zbrush without any question is most demanding only in terms of keeping up to date.

Edited by polyxo

• Reputable Contributor

If you only owned Zbrush and used it a bit you would know how nonsensical this statement is...

But you prefer going on judging blindly about a complex Software you clearly don't know at all. Man, Zbrush's documentation on free updates between version

3.5 and 4R5 alone fill many hundred pdf pages! There's hours of free video material for all mayor new features and a huge Online Documention. 

Pixologic as a larger firm may be not directly comparable to 3DCoat - but this factor doesn't decrease their overall achievements. What you do here is in its origins

only uninformed but it comes across as extremely unfair.

I can at least say that among all software packages I have ever used Zbrush without any question is most demanding only in terms of keeping up to date.

You're in no position to pontificate as to what I know or do not. What I said is absolutely correct. There are indeed very lengthy stretches between major sub-releases. That's largely because Pixologic has a different approach to releases than 3D Coat. They choose to refine and polish the features before they ever get into the hands of the public. Andrew's approach is essentially an Open Beta. That may change at some point in the future, but the pace of development is far more rapid than the other 2, and there is no comparison in sheer volume of releases of features and new improvements. I'm sure you'd like to object to that too, but it is this breakneck pace of development that has allowed 3D Coat to close ranks with both of those applications, to the point that it is a serious competitor.

It has been a few years between Dynamesh, Shadowbox, etc. and this last release. One could easily have started a reference book on ZBrush then, and covered 98% of the content by the time it was published. That's the point I made, and I don't have to use it daily to know that. Furthermore, what does the time it takes to publish a reference book have to do with videos and manuals, etc.? Nothing...that's what.

Mudbox has yearly releases along with all of AD's other products, but the pace of development has slowed to a crawl the past few years. I don't know what Autodesk is doing there, but again, a reference book started a few years ago, would still cover the vast majority of the app. You can see the contrast in this video, just how different 3D Coat was just 2yrs ago and where it is today. There are so many changes/additions, that any reference book started then would seem out dated. You simply cannot state the same about ZB and MB. That's not a slap at either, just the reality. Much of that is due to the fact that 3D Coat is still growing structurally. They solidified and established their UI structure years ago. 3D Coat is still somewhat of a WIP, in that regard. There are major structural changes on the docket, such as paint layer re-construction and Andrew said he would try to work on Sculpt layers in the Voxel Room after V4 was launched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGMArh0myo&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=15

Edited by AbnRanger

This has been asked several times over the years, and the short answer is "No." It grows so rapidly...

I was afraid that might be case. When amazon.com can't find a single listing, it's a pretty thin field. I'll make do with YouTube and the WIP Forum. Thanks, guys.

• 4 months later...

I've avoided this thread since I first saw it, but thought I would share a little information about books for 3DC, at least my experience and perspective.

I've been approached 3 separate times by 3 individual publishers to write a book for 3DC. Each time, I have, after much thought, turned it down. As much as I would love to write a book and have it published, 3DC is in such a state of flux the last few years, that it would be impossible to make the book worth any value. By the time it would be release, 3DC would be drastically different in many areas and tools.

That said, I do see things slowing down a lot more than in the past, and stabilization happening in the application over additional tools. So I wont rule out a book in the future. Plus, having worked in a bookstore in the past for about 6 years while getting an education (Powell's Books, for those that like to read and/or support independent bookstores), I find it rather enticing to write a book, so it is high on my list of life long goals. :)

What about Kindle -or ipad- digital edition books

that can be upgraded easily, with minor cost -one edicion for version 4.1... edicion for version 4.2- and so on

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b?node=154606011

less cost, big audience, can be easily published/upgraded = deal

• Advanced Member

what are these "books" you speak of?

btw i googled: "3d coat manual",  pdf was second link, and i read that. It gave a pretty solid foundation of tools. I still refer to it when i need to figure something out.

http://3d-coat.com/files/manual_4.0.pdf

but yeah printing books seems like a terrible activity, both for the reasons mentioned in this thread. AND because it will kill a tonne of trees. Which would be kinda irresponsible.

• Contributor

what are these "books" you speak of?

btw i googled: "3d coat manual",  pdf was second link, and i read that. It gave a pretty solid foundation of tools. I still refer to it when i need to figure something out.

http://3d-coat.com/files/manual_4.0.pdf

but yeah printing books seems like a terrible activity, both for the reasons mentioned in this thread. AND because it will kill a tonne of trees. Which would be kinda irresponsible.

Much timber pulped for paper is grown in plantations for that express purpose and growing trees absorb more CO2 than mature trees so all is not awful.

Or raped from the land up here in Oregon and Washington. Unfortunately. It's quite common the last decade to see huge swaths forest clear cut. I'm an active participant in stopping such stupid and senseless activities.

I would never do a printed book, ever. It would only be digital.