3DCoat Forums

Merging objects with multiple intersection

omerpekin

Hi,

I try to merge two objects which intersect in several points. When I merge two layers to be one object 3D Coat merges them to be one objects and merges them in all of the intersection points. What I want to achieve is to preserve most of the intersecting surfaces but merge only at certain  areas. Is there a way to merge intersecting objects only in certain selected areas?

post-37886-0-52753300-1381709020_thumb.j

• Contributor

Why not just use the Cutoff Tool to cut off the parts of the mesh that you do not want to Merge?

Alternatively you can use the Hide Tool to hide part of the mesh, then use any of the hide options found in the Voxel menu (Separate Hidden Part, etc.).

Also there are several merging options found in the right-click drop down menu for voxel volumes (just right-click on the voxel volume in the VoxTree panel to access those options). Some of the options there are: ("merge visible", "subtract from", etc.)

There is also a Split Tool which you can use to separate parts of your mesh before merging.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answers. The problem is I tried using Cutoff tool; I duplicated my object and then cut parts of it and merged them together. It looked good at the beginning but when I merge the rest of my object I have again the same problem, it merges everything. With right click menu I also couldnt find an option with which I would be able to combine parts of two object. In the picture I uploaded blue object is one combined object and red is an other separate object. Since I try to use 3d coat in architecture I need to be precise. I somehow try to do something like a labyrinth and tit should work as a corridor, so it should be one object but it shouldn't be combined more than once. I mean it is hard to explain but I need to combine those objects only in one of the intersection not in every intersecting area. since it needs to be a building at the end I need to have one combined shape that intersects. So unfortunately cutoff tool works only if I cut my model to more pieces which does not allow me to have one combined mesh. As I tried to do it with the split tool it works pretty much like cutoff tool. It works only if I divide my model in to separate layers. I tried doing it with separated models too but then it becomes a great hassle to merge vertices in Maya. Since I cut my model and render as a section model I always see an extra wall, which does not make much sense. But thank you very much for your answers.

• Reputable Contributor

In Surface Mode, you can BRIDGE two parts of a model, using the BRIDGE tool section of the Tool Panel. Paint select the parts to bridge and click APPLY or the ENTER key. It is a bit of an odd circumstance/request...merging one part and not the other...right in the same vicinity.

Edited by AbnRanger