3DCoat Forums

Paint - Specular

FreezeFrame

• Advanced Member

Hello, does anyone here know of some tutorials with specular painting of some sort. I understand the basics of specular maps. I really need to improve my spec maps. I know some different ways like 1) painted on diffuse,  2) generation e.g. crazy bump,  3) P.S., manualing painting highlights on a spec map and also 4) through, desaturation of the diffuse in P.S. In this case dealing with specular painting or how the spec map gets affected in 3D Coat.

Edited by FreezeFrame

• Contributor

Desaturate diffuse to get a spec is an error. A real mistake: your shading should be minimal in diffuse unless you're going for oldchool (no real shader mostly painting work). So if you desaturate your diffuse you're adding "reflection" to an already bright surface: the brighter the diffuse the more heavy is the specular map.

In that regard you simply ignore the material properties that should go with your spec map. Specular map are not a "it's shiny here", it's a map to reproduce the shading/reflection of the materials. 

Example: the human flesh is often lighter than leather for instance, desaturate your diffuse with those materials and you get a super shiny flesh and not so shiny leather. That may work in some cases, but you've to think what material you're creating in your maps for it to work.

Another example: shiny metals, often it's a pretty dark diffuse and a light specular, it won't work if you use the desaturate method.

I personaly much prefer to start with a blank slate, or a very low opacity desaturated diffuse as a guide (not a template) and build up values from there, than tweak what's already there, it often results in a much more "so-so-no-real-choice-made" specular map.

• Advanced Member

Yes, specularity is basically how shiny an area is.  The spec map dictates the where and how much.  It's usually a grey scale map, but you can also use such maps to show specular color.  The lighter areas are higher in intensity, so if an area is marked as white or a light color, then the shine will be greater there.  You can adjust specular settings as you paint in 3D Coat, but you can further tweak specular settings by going to the Blending Tab in the paint room.  My new training course covers this, but you should be able to figure this out on your own.

Edited by alvordr

• Advanced Member

Ya I read somewhere about the old school way, "no real shader mostly painting work". The desaturation I seen in a video somewhere. I thought that was how softwares like Crazy Bump obtained spec.. Maybe I will do a test soon with a desaturated texture and one produced by something like C.B. and see the difference. Trying to get into more a custom way like you said. Just like normals for e.g., bump can be added to a totally flat material...Will probably be using "Allegorithmic-Substance" software within a few months anyways. Thx....

• Advanced Member

Here's something you might want to try.  Paint in specularity in the Paint Room, and then go to the 'Textures' menu at the top and export just the specularity map.  It should show you the result.  You can then bring that in to another program, say for example 3ds Max.  Do the same using CrazyBump.  Check the difference.  The thing is, with CrazyBump, much like PixPlant, you'll be setting the overall specularity, not just painting in certain areas.  Thus, you'll get way more control over where and how much specularity occurs in 3D Coat.  CrazyBump might be considered, after the fact to alter the intensity, if 3D Coat's built-in blending function doesn't meet your needs.  I sometimes do this with textures that I will later enhance, using PixPlant.  Most of the time though, I find that 3D Coat does a wonderful job by itself.  Substance (I believe) is going to work the same way CrazyBump and PixPlant do, but you'll likely be able to import your spec maps from 3D Coat to help it along.  I'm not positive, as I don't use Substance.