1. 1. The best entry was done by:

• ajz3d
    • BeatKitano
    • carlosan
    • chingchong
    • ebitz

• Contributor

Thanks guys.

New WIP report from two-hour session of pushing and pulling surfaces. There's still a lot to do to the head before I even consider adding medium details. I probably won't be attaching nose and ears any time soon because it's easier for me to tweak them as separate entities in case a need arises.

I think the biggest challenge with the head will be to correctly shape sculpture's eye sockets. Also, I think hair will be hard to do too. I'm a little bit afraid that they will end up looking like a plasticine wig glued to the head, even after sculpting in a lot of details. So, if it's acceptable in this contest, I'd rather do real hair in Blender or some other software in which I will be rendering the final image.

I will leave the head for now and move on to body sculpting. However, I will keep returning to it frequently, just to tweak this and that.

ChingChong, this looks really good! :)

Beat, very attractive girl! What I'm curious about is the stone under her right foot. Is it an element of scenery or just a temporary volume to hold her leg until you're done with posing?

post-12523-0-11149700-1383745143_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

I think the biggest challenge with the head will be to correctly shape sculpture's eye sockets. Also, I think hair will be hard to do too. I'm a little bit afraid that they will end up looking like a plasticine wig glued to the head, even after sculpting in a lot of details. So, if it's acceptable in this contest, I'd rather do real hair in Blender or some other software in which I will be rendering the final image.

I will leave the head for now and move on to body sculpting. However, I will keep returning to it frequently, just to tweak this and that.

ChingChong, this looks really good! :)

thanks ajz3d,

try out tubeclay and spikes for hair,

I my human head i tried a voxlayer for hair (you can see in the pic), not so good i think , so i ended up with another method on the lionshead:

I duplictated the head and shrinked the face only a little bit (to get rid of that blinkering effect) and used spikes for the hair ,i think that method has some potential. The advantage over Vox-Layer  in my opinion is, that the hair/ fur doesnt look like a rug, because they grow out like they would naturally do.

The big bold ends of the spikes can be smoothed quite good with the "Fill"-preset from Artman together with pressing "Shift",

after that they can be detailed (which has to be done in my model), with tubeclay or crease.

edit: p.s.  it would be very handy, to have a "freeform"-option for the Spikes-tool for posing each spike, rather then only stroke-based, right now every stroke is like try, retry, re -retry

Edited by chingchong

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip! Sounds promising. I'll try it out ASAP. :)

When it comes to hair or fur I always regret that 3D Coat doesn't have something similar to FiberMesh.

AbnRanger said, that there are plans to integrate Cycles in 3DC (Raul), so it would also be possible to have hair, since that is also a component of a render engine, if im right. At least, thats what im hoping :D

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the tip! Sounds promising. I'll try it out ASAP. :)

When it comes to hair or fur I always regret that 3D Coat doesn't have something similar to FiberMesh.

It's easy to sculpt hair in 3D Coat, using the Muscles tool. For long strands like you might see on a female character, you'd want to use the Curves tool to create long flowing clumps, and then turn to the Muscles tool to sculpt progressively smaller and smaller strands/fibers. There is no Hair/Fur utility in 3D Coat, and I personally don't think this is the type of app where it's appropriate to have one. I always thought that feature in ZBrush was rather gimicky...but that's just my view on it. Like rigging, that's a task far better done in a typical 3D app.

However, if one doesn't necessarily want to go the uber realistic, millions of hair strands, route, and just sculpt some nice hair pieces in this environment, then it doesn't get any better than using the Muscles tool in 3D Coat.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Then use Vertex Paint on it, to create some really nice, subtle color variations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ePLDKL3fw

Edited by AbnRanger

• Contributor

AbnRanger said, that there are plans to integrate Cycles in 3DC (Raul), so it would also be possible to have hair, since that is also a component of a render engine, if im right. At least, thats what im hoping :D

Yes, I was very excited when I read about this. :) Let's cross our fingers and hope that it will happen soon.

However, I'm not sure if hair will make into 3D Coat, because it's a part of Blender's particle system.

Time will show I guess.

(...) I always thought that feature in ZBrush was rather gimicky...but that's just my view on it. Like rigging, that's a task far better done in a typical 3D app.

AbnRanger, I wouldn't call it a gimmick. For example, consider the fact that you can convert FiberMesh to curves for use in Maya's or Max's dynamic simulations.

I'll try out the muscle tool. Nice results on your videos, but... that's a lot of work! :D

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

@Chingchong:

Very nice progress, can't wait to see the final :)

@Ajz3d:

Nice work on the head, I wouldn't worry much about the hair, it's pretty good already, you just need to define some clumps of hair, the shape is already there.

I would recommend to sculpt the hair anyway, it's a good exercise and everyone knows how hard it can be so don't get too hard on yourself if the result isn't exactly what you had in mind :)

About the stone in my sculpt, it's mainly for posing but if I have time I may do something with it...

If you can, try to make your character fit in his environment giving hints about who he/she/it's, what's his life's story, but the model is the most important thing in the picture  :)

:)

After the atrocious stream some of you may have witnessed (I'm sorry you had to see this massacre), I decided to go back at structure and I think I got something more decent, I still need to adjust some proportions like feet, head etc

Not legs though, I want her to have this kind of exageration, after all she's a hunter, being tall and have strong legs is a plus.

Also correct muscle mass here and here (and focus on the back which has been very neglected at this stage) and redo this terrible head  ;)

My progress as of this moment:

Body02.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, I was very excited when I read about this. :) Let's cross our fingers and hope that it will happen soon.

However, I'm not sure if hair will make into 3D Coat, because it's a part of Blender's particle system.

Time will show I guess.

AbnRanger, I wouldn't call it a gimmick. For example, consider the fact that you can convert FiberMesh to curves for use in Maya's or Max's dynamic simulations.

I'll try out the muscle tool. Nice results on your videos, but... that's a lot of work! :D

Yeah...I realize it can be a good feature for a lot of folks. But I have always viewed that as a gimmick feature, cause it's somewhat like rigging. Better tools in 3D apps to do that type of work, IMHO. Nevertheless, sculpting hair in 3D Coat is not really that much work. As you can see in the videos, you can build out the shapes/forms with big, thick strokes, and work your way to thinner and thinner strokes/fibers.

One way you could approach it is to export the hair cap directly from the voxel room and in your host app, trace some splines along the clumps, and use them as guides for you hair/fur utility. You could leave the hair cap on the head and use both the hair cap with hair from your 3D app (using a much smaller number of hair fibers)

The muscles tool works really well for eyebrows and facial hair, too.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

The muscles tool works really well for eyebrows and facial hair, too.

hmm it might be, but you have 22 million tris in that video, and with voxels i guess.

I tried out with muscles, but with surface mode, there are always error-prompts

and in voxelmode the are too low res,  increasing resolution is too hard for my pc- specs ^^

@ Beat Kitano: Thanks for the kind words :D

your model is awesome as always,  cool pose.

i also fought with the posing with generic body but gave up for now :D

EDIT:

UPdate: merged lionhead into scene and worked more on lionhair

post-9328-0-52281200-1383782992_thumb.jp

Edited by chingchong

• Advanced Member

update early pose and early body.

I have a special pose in mind, interacting with enviroment, but we will see  if that will look good or bad^^

post-9328-0-81876300-1383863620_thumb.jp

post-9328-0-60018200-1383864939_thumb.jp

p.s. How can i post a larger pic here?

[edit]:  an here is the mace, spikes to come

post-9328-0-13740100-1383867474_thumb.jp

Edited by chingchong
  • Like 1

Nice progress Chingchong, awesome lions head and I like where you're going with the pose and the mace. :)

@BeatKitano, she's looking epic

I'm leaving the face at this point, still more to be done but I need to get a move on to the body and accessories. She has some back-story but no name; I'll post her story once I've more sculpting done. Question; is there a right way of making realistic eyes in 3d Coat? Hair is just a place holder at this point; the muscles tool is very useful and gets decent results really fast. Totally impressed with the software. 

post-37926-0-38005000-1383928766_thumb.p

Edited by xenodile
  • Like 2

• Contributor

@Chingchong

Looking realy nice, I see you decided to took the hard path too, cheers !

If you want to post larger pic you'll have to find an hosting service or site or direct link the image from your gallery.

@Xenodile

Nice start on the head, looks really nice already and good job on the hair I must admit I'm really bad at this kind of stuff with 3dcoat.

Here's today's progress, not much changed since I've almost only week-ends to work on this (but this 3 days week-end is gonna help for sure), I redid the head worked the pose a bit and started adding accessories to see howit feels.

Gen01.jpgTwMachiko01.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Amazing work going on here!

I love the face Beat. She looks beautiful but tough kind of like Alicia Keys..

Here is a quickie from me.

I have started out with symmetry on to get the details in place but will be turning it off soon enough.

I also decided to construct Death Heads II from the inside out. I am creating the face beneath the mask first and sculpting the outer part as a separate object / accessory. (I have other plans for this dude once he is retoppoed.) 

post-421-0-36691100-1384163171_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

@Beatkitano:

Love the new pose and the new face very much. Armor, also is looking great already. 

And thanks, i dont like to pose a finished model, because i probably will have to work over it again... dont need double work^^

I think i will redo my pose, too... it looks not very believable from some perspectives. 

@Xenodile:

Thank you, good start on head, do you sculpted the hair in voxel or in surface mode with "muscles"?

• Contributor

@Carlosan

Much better already, good luck though, muscular comic-type guys are not easy to do.

@Marc Wakefield

Tnx, she was not one of my ref, but I guess that kind of do it too, I wanted a mixed-race type of character, I know the name imply japanese origin but kinda like the black girl casting in the movie so I went with a bit of both.

Good idea about starting the character from inside out, it helps to get a sense of structure to the whole thing and will probably help you achieve a more solid character.

@Chingchong

I know what you mean, it's kind of hardcore to do it that way, but if you manage it you get a huge headstart on the final composition :)

Besides personally I think this is a good (and fun) exercise.

What I do is move around the model from all the angle, to spot discrepancies in the shapes and correct them. Some people work with silhouette till they are happy with the result then proceed to the next angle. I guess it depends on how you like to work, step by step or everything at once bit by bit.

• Advanced Member

@Chingchong

I know what you mean, it's kind of hardcore to do it that way, but if you manage it you get a huge headstart on the final composition :)

Besides personally I think this is a good (and fun) exercise.

What I do is move around the model from all the angle, to spot discrepancies in the shapes and correct them. Some people work with silhouette till they are happy with the result then proceed to the next angle. I guess it depends on how you like to work, step by step or everything at once bit by bit.

thanks for that tipp, with the Silhouette, i think thats what i will do.

Speaking about poses, and references ...

im reposting here a link from the german section (monkeybrains post)

http://www.posemaniacs.com/, good  360° anatomy pose references

Edited by chingchong