1. 1. The best entry was done by:

• ajz3d
    • BeatKitano
    • carlosan
    • chingchong
    • ebitz

• Advanced Member

LOOKING NICE!

It looks so clean and the harder edged objects are perfect. 

It almost doesn't look like a sculpt (in the best possible way)

I am hoping I get a bit more time to work on mine soon. Xmas holidays yay!

I really want it to be third time lucky and actually get a challenge finished for once.

More WIPS coming soon.

Edited by Marc Wakefield

• Contributor

Thanks Marc. :drinks:

I hope you'll find time to finish your Death's Head. The one you made in '08 looks pretty cool, especially on close-ups. I'm looking forward for some WIPs. :)

---

I've noticed Kloss's (is the apostrophe in the right place?) palms were way too huge. Almost as big as loaves of bread. I toned them down a bit and so did I with his feet. The change should be noticeable on next WIP report.

• Advanced Member

ajz3d- Your model is getting better and better, Only thing right now I might suggest is taking another look at the placement of his eyes. They might need a little more spacing. Keep push'n it. 

• Advanced Member

Thanks Marc. :drinks:

I hope you'll find time to finish your Death's Head. The one you made in '08 looks pretty cool, especially on close-ups. I'm looking forward for some WIPs. :)

---

I've noticed Kloss's (is the apostrophe in the right place?) palms were way too huge. Almost as big as loaves of bread. I toned them down a bit and so did I with his feet. The change should be noticeable on next WIP report.

Thanks ajz3d.

Hopefully this version will be much better. I am in the process of sticking him back in a proper T-pose as I want to retopo and pose him afterwards.

I have been working on an iClone compatible rig for him and other characters.

I did not even notice the palms. It brings to mind the phrase 'hands the size of hams' or 'hands like hams'. Always found the image that conjures up really funny. Not sure why.  :)

• Contributor

Thanks Ebitz. You're right, those eyes are way to close to each other. I'll correct them as soon as I'm finished sculpting cap accessories.

Here's an update of completed sculpture of a cockade with an oak leaf wreath. No textures.

wip13_capPin_noTextures.jpg

---

I did not even notice the palms. It brings to mind the phrase 'hands the size of hams' or 'hands like hams'. Always found the image that conjures up really funny. Not sure why.  :)

Yes, that's probably the proper English phrase that I should have used in the first place. Where I live we used to compare big palms to loaves of bread and thick fingers to sausages.

Which reminds me that I didn't eat my lunch yet.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 3

That's a really, really nice piece, that cockade. By the way, ajz3D, your guy has reminded me from the start of the actor, Rod Taylor (The Time Machine (1960), for reference), which is a good thing :) Especially if you put him in a military uniform:

eagles1.jpg

Hm, his images might help for additional references.

Great stuff, everyone.

I dont know how to pose properly with 3DC proxy/pose tools.

FINAL

GREEN_LANTERN.png

Green Lantern is the name of several superheroes from the fictional DC Universe, all of whom are characterized by a power ring and the ability to create solid constructs with the ring.

The first Green Lantern (Alan Scott) was created by writer Bill Finger and artist Martin Nodell in All-American Comics #16 (July 1940).

Each Green Lantern possesses a power ring and green lantern that gives the user great control over the physical world as long as the wielder has sufficient willpower and strength to wield it. The ring is one of the most powerful weapons in the universe and can be very dangerous. While the ring of the Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) is magically powered, the rings worn by all subsequent Lanterns are technological creations of the Guardians of the Universe, who granted such rings to worthy candidates. These individuals made up the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern

• Like 2

• Contributor

That's a really, really nice piece, that cockade. By the way, ajz3D, your guy has reminded me from the start of the actor, Rod Taylor (The Time Machine (1960), for reference), which is a good thing :) Especially if you put him in a military uniform:

eagles1.jpg

Hm, his images might help for additional references.

Great stuff, everyone.

Thanks Pgson. The resemblance is purely accidental. The role of Stanisław Kolicki a. k. a Hans Kloss was performed by renowned Polish actor Stanisław Mikulski and it is his visual appearance I'm trying to reproduce in my sculpture. :)

Some references can be found here: http://www.tvp.pl/seriale/archiwalne/stawka-wieksza-niz-zycie/galerie

However, on the picture you posted, Rod Taylor really has some similar features to Stanisław Mikulski. Pointy ears, chin and mouth area - to name a few.

Everyone is making amazing progress.  I finally found some time to spend on this, will hopefully get a few hours tomorrow as well.

Good show. I'm looking forward for more WIP! The concept reminds me of a cyberpunk character.

Do you remember that you promised us to post her story? ;)

I dont know how to pose properly with 3DC proxy/pose tools.

Carlos, it looks like you didn't introduce high details yet, so  for fast and flexible posing at this stage what I'd do is:

• Cut & Clone tool to cut up the sculpture into moveable pieces.
  • Set their pivots using Move only gizmo option of the Transform tool.
  • Parent cut parts appropriately.
  • Rotate those pieces like you would rotate joints in a skeleton/armature. Don't translate or scale them unless you really have to.
  • If satisfied with the result, merge everything back into one mesh.
  • Reconstruct all seams with CleanClay tool (you avoid some problems with this step, like "pimples" mentioned by ArtMan or other nasty stuff). Smooth where needed.
  • Fill any crevices and re-sculpt back the shape wherever it's needed

You might not want to cut torso into separate spine parts. Use Pose instead if you need to bend it in whatever direction. Of course, it's the same with the neck.

Nearing end of texturing

Ebitz, how about some grey fuzz on his chest? ;)

Nice work, but I have three remarks. If I may of course.

I think it would really nice if the axe's grip was either: a spiral shaped metal or wrapped in leather strap - something similar to his footwraps (which look great by the way).

Speaking of footwraps, they're symmetrical on both legs. Would it be possible to break this symmetry? It is very noticeable. I struggle to keep my socks at an even level. What would happen if I wore footwraps - I can't imagine. :D

Those three short veins at the bottom side of each forearm look a little bit strange.

---

Cap eagle done. Forgive me the low resolution, but it is a brute force render of a raw 1 million faces sculpt, so rendering it in higher resolution would take too much time which I didn't have. Again, no textures yet, but this piece doesn't need much I believe. Maybe some 512px glossiness, reflectivity and colour maps just to introduce some variance into shading.

Part of the swastika was intentionally concealed.

wip14_germanEagleForPeakedCap.jpg?dl=1&t

So little time left and preparations for Christmas don't help at all... :(

• Advanced Member

Alright ajz3d, thought the suggestions you made were good ones, so I added a spiral detail to the axe, and eliminated the symmetry in the leggings. Will move onto posing and final presentation.

post-13655-0-46629200-1387838166_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks @t ajz3d and @Aleksey

Im struggling with the painting, dont know which shader to use best for vertex painting of the different assets like columns/pilar , weapons etc.  in one scene.

Because i want to render in 3DC.

The one above is using clay shader, so its maybe to shiny for a lion

• Contributor

Good question. I personally like to work with the default white shader, but if you want to render in 3D Coat then Lamblight might be a good choice. It's perfect for almost everything from SSS materials to stone and semi-transparent stuff. I think Beat used it in his alien from the last challenge.

However, there are three things to keep in mind when using Lamblight during vertex painting.

Specular_Color controls the strength of highlights and Specular_Power fakes glossiness. This is all dandy, but you won't be able to paint lower specularity that Lightness of the Specular_Color (it's kind of dependant on Power too). Even Specularity Modulator and Specular Brightness of a paint layer brought to negative values have no effect. I tried bringing Specular_Color down to black and it enables the user to paint any specularity he wants, but at the same time it completely nullifies Specular_Power. So no fancy fake glossy effect. :(

If you want to paint with colours that you actually choose and not have them affected by the Lamblight's Diffuse_Color, just crank this channel up to pure white. This should suffice.

Ambient_Color is a channel that I think is best to leave for tweaking during the rendering.

P.S. I hope I didn't mess something up. I wrote it in a hurry.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

Good question. I personally like to work with the default white shader, but if you want to render in 3D Coat then Lamblight might be a good choice. It's perfect for almost everything from SSS materials to stone and semi-transparent stuff. I think Beat used it in his alien from the last challenge.

However, there are three things to keep in mind when using Lamblight during vertex painting.

Specular_Color controls the strength of highlights and Specular_Power fakes glossiness. This is all dandy, but you won't be able to paint lower specularity that Lightness of the Specular_Color (it's kind of dependant on Power too). Even Specularity Modulator and Specular Brightness of a paint layer brought to negative values have no effect. I tried bringing Specular_Color down to black and it enables the user to paint any specularity he wants, but at the same time it completely nullifies Specular_Power. So no fancy fake glossy effect. :(

If you want to paint with colours that you actually choose and not have them affected by the Lamblight's Diffuse_Color, just crank this channel up to pure white. This should suffice.

Ambient_Color is a channel that I think is best to leave for tweaking during the rendering.

P.S. I hope I didn't mess something up. I wrote it in a hurry.

thanks for tipps and explanation of the lamblight shader, i will try it out soon with my model. Im really a texturing noob :D

here's a "gossy" previsualisation ;) of my texturing attempts.

All in Clay Shader or Silver shader for armor, beisides the groud, i think its the default grey shader

prerender.jpg

Edited by chingchong

• Advanced Member

So here is a more finished Version, maybe it will be the final

Its not really finished or perfect, but ive never came so far with 3DC before,

so im happy for now, learned alot of 3DC during this sessions.

All vertex painting, thats why the ground is so lowres.

(Shaders are mostly customized lamblight and customized default grey shader)

In two Days is the Deadline, Guys!!!

And only Beat is ready :D

Keep pushing the pixels. tris and voxels guys :)

final_render_3.jpg

Edited by chingchong
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Looking amazing! i think you need a bit more fill light though (cant see the face), and maybe make the grass a darker bluer green? It looks a bit toxic right now :)

Edited by Aleksey

• Contributor

Great looking Hercules. The lion's head is definitely my favourite part. :)

I think Alexey is right about the lighting. Some three-point lighting set-up would greatly enhance the presentation and take the face out of the shadow.

So, do we have time till 23:59:59 GMT today (31st Dec) or to 23:59:59 GMT tomorrow (1st Jan)?

I probably won't make with the texturing on time so I'm just going to post the latest version with shaders only. I had hoped I would have more spare time to spend on this model. This December happened to be a very busy month.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

Thanks for feedback, glad you like my attempts.

Lionshead is also my favourite, along with the mace. :)

Im not sure about face, i guess i will let the shadows on the face,

because its also part of the concepts i showed in the beginning

but i will post later on some renders without shadow in my WIP.

I lost steam on this project for now...

Added some more decor and some glowing eyes (lol), this will be my FINAL entry

final_render_4b.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor

Good show ChingChong! :)

Okay probably the FINAL version (unless the deadline is tomorrow night). However, I'll continue to work on this character after the deadline because it's far from what I'd call finished.

Good luck everyone and Happy New Year. :drinks:

wip15_kloss.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAGqXhku

Stanisław Kolicki, a fictional Polish secret agent (later: a major in LWP) performed by Stanisław Mikulski in "Stawka większa niż życie" ("More Than Life at Stake", "Stakes Larger Than Life" or "Playing for High Stakes") teleplays* (14 episodes in 1965) and TV-series** (18 episodes in 1967-68).

After the outbreak of World War 2 and the invasion of Poland, Kolicki escapes to Soviet Union from a German prison camp in Kościerzyna (Kaliningrad). He is soon arrested by Russian border guards and brought to military intelligence officers. They quickly realise that Kolicki bears incredible visual resemblance to a captured German officer named Hans Kloss.

Kolicki is given Kloss's identity and is sent to occupied Poland as an agent codenamed J-23, where he acts under the cover of an Abwehr lieutenant.

*  - Directed by: Andrzej Konic, Janusz Morgenstern (1 episode) and Barbara Borys-Damięcka (1 episode), screenplay by Andrzej Szypulski, Zbigniew Safjan.
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stawka_większa_niż_życie_(teatr_telewizji)
** - Directed by: Janusz Morgenstern (9 episodes) and Andrzej Konic (9 episodes), screenplay by Andrzej Szypulski and Zbigniew Safjan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stawka_większa_niż_życie

Character reference images can be found here:
http://www.tvp.pl/seriale/archiwalne/stawka-wieksza-niz-zycie/galerie
A short video I dug out from YouTube:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pffjk_x1Fuo

• Like 2

• Contributor

Yeah the gabardine is impossible to sculpt. I only managed to do it on cap's round surface. I need to retopo the coat and paint NM in the UV texture editor or PS.

Thanks Tony.

Edited by ajz3d

Happy new year everyone!

Nice finals guys, both are excellent. Love the Lionshead and the detailing of the emblems. I won't be finishing this as animation project has had all of my attention. I will be using the character again later.

Best of luck to everyone! :)  

• Like 1