3DCoat Forums

Change Brush size quickly when using wacom - rather than right click 3 button mouse?

The Candy-floss Kid

• Advanced Member

Hi folks,

is there a way when using my wacom to quickly resize my brush size without using the right click drag on a 3 button mouse or without using the bracket keys.

I'm guessing there is a way to assign a shortcut for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to go about this.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi folks,

is there a way when using my wacom to quickly resize my brush size without using the right click drag on a 3 button mouse or without using the bracket keys.

I'm guessing there is a way to assign a shortcut for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to go about this.

I am using an Intuos 3, and the touch strips adjust the scale the same way they do the brushes in Photoshop. You also can use the Bracket keys on the keyboard. Obviously you could assign certain buttons on your wacom to the bracket keys, as well.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

The by far best option imo is to map the front key of your Wacom to RMB. It surprises me, that this is not what "everybody" is using, as I believe this is the standard mapping anyway.

See what pressing this button, while hovering over the tablet and dragging left and right / up and down does. This should be what Candyfloss-Kid was asking for.Outside of the object

pressing this key rotates the camera. But it gets even better: If you now touch the Wacom while still pressing the Pen Key you'll get access all functionality which is mapped to

pressing LMB and RMB at the same time.That means that you can navigate the camera, even when on top of an object, without pressing ALT.

Edit: I read the original post closer again and saw that you asked for a solution for the mouse. While I personally find that what RMB does works fantastic maybe also

the quick panel which gives you Sliders could help. It's closer to how Zbrush deals with this by default.

Edited by polyxo
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

AbnRanger - many thanks, I have an intuos with the fancy strips. It's still in it's box as I am emotionally attached to my very old wacom with all it dents and bruises - I should get it out and give it a whirl.

Polyxo - aha, yes the button on the graphic pen does act like the right mouse although I do not like how curling my finger to reach it makes me lose the position and balance of the pen in my hand.

I like using the "s" button in zbrush because it is ergonomically weighted to the area of the keyboard most used and closest to the natural position formy left hand without any distraction to my right hand or right brain.

Thank you both for your suggestions - much appreciated. I shall see if I can teach this old dog some new tricks.

• Advanced Member

Ok - just discovered that the right click on the wacom is more sensitive to direction i.e it's very easy to accidentally modify brush depth by the hand moving upward as well as brush radius where the hand moves sideways.

I'll look into mapping the bracket keys to the wacom although I'd much prefer to use the s key or tilde key.

• Advanced Member

Ok - just discovered that the right click on the wacom is more sensitive to direction i.e it's very easy to accidentally modify brush depth by the hand moving upward as well as brush radius where the hand moves sideways.

Yeah, one really needs to acknowledge all these personal preferences....

I never run into accidentally pressing that button and messing things up. While I just love Zbrush's keymapping for often used functions

I find the S-key painfully slow and odd to use, especially as one here only can change one value at a time.

I much prefer the way this is hooked up in 3DCoat. Interestingly a user currently brings a similar implementation to Zbrush.

Probably nothing for you though ;)

Edited by polyxo
  • Like 1