3DCoat Forums

3dcoat for feature film use, must have features

geo_n

• Advanced Member

This is for Andrew to develop 3dcoat to have features for some new workflow in feature film environment asset creation.

Must watch. Skip to 5mins mark.
http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-178-mari-modo-on-rise/

This workflow will be more common soon.

3dcoat can do some of this stuff to a certain extent but not at best in class yet.
I think 3dcoat can eliminate the need for the ff if Andrew works on this.
geomagic studio(for converting huge point cloud data to polydata) Lidar scans.
modo for retopo and poly modelling
mari for texture projection

The process simplified

* take giant spherical HDRs..take giant stills from a ton of angles

* color adjust and neutralize all the images

* lidar scan the whole room

* re-model *everything* from the lidar scan point cloud

* UV everything

* set up cameras to match the original still shot locations to be used for projection painting

* bring it all into Mari and projection paint the giant images using the camera positions set up in Maya...mix in some of the 11K spherical images as well if it fits the geometry better. Do this for all the still positions and using the spherical map to paint all of the geomtery

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main hurdle for 3dcoat is handling huge datasets like the pointclouds and multiple highres hdrs/exrs, and projection painting thru camera. Retopo and polymodelling of the pointcloud within 3dcoat could be a challege, too. I'm thinking autoretopo can help here a bit.

3dcoat supports pointclouds but haven't tested lidars. Can 3dcoat handle painting huge 16k exr? Camera projection texture painting can be done by fbx if camera is implemented in 3dcoat.

This is the result. Rendered in vray(what else hehe.). No gi just vray lightmaterial. Watch the video to see this animated its awesome technique.

vcytcj.jpg

well.... this is nice for sure... and an awesome breakdown to see...

i think that 1st. its necessary to understand how is the users base conformed, which is the 1ry and 2ry use for 3DC -in amateur and professional field-... to imagine a roadmap for 3DC trying to compete vs a rock solid workflow developed, tested and used in actual productions.

my humble point of view

ty.

• Advanced Member

The author, with the unique hairdo hehe, is open to other software. Its not an established workflow yet. I believe he's testing out agisoft lately.

I've been testing reconstruct and skanect and see the potential of using point cloud data for set extensions, cg backdrops, etc.

From the breakdown the biggest issue it seems is handling huge datasets and the mari workflow part of camera projection with multiple exr and retaining the different exposure levels. To date there is no alternative to the very expensive mari and people are actually hesitant to buy it.

Retopology and uvmapping by modo is not so significant and 3dcoat can do that easily.

• Advanced Member

That was indeed interesting.

Hopefully future dev will consider some of this stuff. Considering how really expensive Mari is and there's no competition out there, 3dcoat could definitely get into that piece of the pie instead of trying to get into the zbrush pie which has not charged for an upgrade since v2 that makes it tough nut to crack. Mari is an easier target imo.

• Advanced Member

That was indeed interesting.

Hopefully future dev will consider some of this stuff. Considering how really expensive Mari is and there's no competition out there, 3dcoat could definitely get into that piece of the pie instead of trying to get into the zbrush pie which has not charged for an upgrade since v2 that makes it tough nut to crack. Mari is an easier target imo.

I agree, at first glance it doesn't look like Mari does that much more than 3DC to justify the $2000 price tag and if Andrew can work some of your requests into the next version, then happy days.

I still don't get how Pixologic can sustain their business model of no upgrade fee for ZB... it just must be that popular. But then again, I don't think I'm anywhere near $795 (cost of a new ZB licence) having purchased 3DC 4 years ago and upgraded once.