3DCoat Forums

Windows 8.1 get error window instead of 3D-Coat

• Advanced Member

Hi everyone.  Have been away from the forum for a month or two.  During that time I updated to Windows 8.1

I just tried to boot 3D-Coat.  But all I get is an error window.  I downloaded the latest version of 3D Coat and installed that.  Tried again.  Same problem.    I do not install 3D-Coat on the boot drive.

Any help would be appreciated.  Even knowing if the error message was from the operating system or something 3D-Coat is generating when it attempts to start.

Here is the dialog box that comes up when I attempt to run 3D-Coat

post-21582-0-33519300-1385238789_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

That was helpful.  It got me trying the other versions.

3D-CoatDX64C, and 3D-CoatDX64S both have the problem I describe above.

3D-CoatGL64C and 3D-CoatGL64S get me to the opening 3D-Coat screen, so it appears that they don't have the problem.

I thought 3D-CoatDX64C was the DX version with Cuda.  That's what I had been using in the past, but even my shortcut to the previously working version has the error. 

I'm no fan of Win 8 myself, but its worked fairly well for me with Blender, 3D-Coat, up to now.

• Reputable Contributor

I seen that error before, It deals I think with a video driver issue... It can not create the interface for both Ogl or DX

The below might or might not fix the problem. You choose which order to do them in...

3DCoat does not remove the user folder under your Documents and Settings / User folder.  or at least it did not a one time. I been using linux for so long now windows stuff is getting foggy. I bet you still have to manually remove the 3DC folder after uninstalling 3DCoat.

Remove it (back it up first.)

Install 3DCoat. It will ask for your serial number again... plus you will have to redo all your settings...

You also might try this if the above does not work, uninstall your video drivers and then reinstall them... Maybe something got messed up with them.  If you have uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers before then no sweat but if not do this with care.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1