3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink "Simple3DCoat" (Fork of the official) by mifth

mifth

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
On 26/7/2017 at 7:17 AM, AbnRanger said:

Is there any way the Blender Applink could finally import texture maps into Blender, perhaps using the new Principle Shader? It was my understanding that Cycles materials setup made it difficult to do so, before. In the 3ds Max Applink, I can pre-select a render, such as Mental Ray/iRay and when sending the model from 3D Coat to Max, all the material nodes would be all setup to render in that render engine. Wish this could work in a similar fashion, inside Blender.

I've just been thinking the same thing. At least the principled shader makes everything much easier to set up.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:11 AM, Hammers said:

I've just been thinking the same thing. At least the principled shader makes everything much easier to set up.

Hi.

Sorry for late response. Why don't you like "Textures Path" folder? All textures will be exported into the folder you like.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to get a Blender simple object mesh in and out of 3D-Coat using the Simple3DCoat addon has proven maddening. 

I'm using 2.79 and 4.8 but the object that is reimported after sculpting in 3D-Coat comes back in just the way it was exported.

I cannot find a video tutorial that's less than 5 years old and I'm not finding any documentation that details how to do this either.

Sorry, i can't get you. Do you need a guide how to use the addon?

Check the first post. All you need is just to find the Exchange folder of 3dcoat app. It should be in your documents i guess.

In linux the Exchange folder is located at "/home/user/3DCoat4/Exchange".

Dunno know where it is on win/mac.

Set this folder in the addon settings and use its power. )

In blender there will be "ex" tab in viewport panel.

In 3dcoat you will find "file -> bring mesh back" if you need to bring mesh back to blender.

Let me know if you still have any issues.

After an afternoon of wrestling with the Applink I have it working flawlessly. Sure would have been nice if there had been an up to date tutorial that looks at current builds and layouts. Thanks everyone who has tried helping me through these convulsions. Ugh. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 7/26/2017 at 3:12 AM, mifth said:

You can try setting this folder.

Selection_144.png

I am selecting that path (MyDocs/3DCoat 4.8/Exchange) and when I send an already textured model to Blender (not round trip....starting from 3D Coat > Blender) and click the IMPORT button in the Simple3DCoat Applink section, I get nothing (Blender 2.79).

This is very frustration as it could be a very nice workflow, now with the Principled Shader as the default for all materials coming from 3D Coat to Blender. Is there any way we can hook this up, to where a user can start from 3D Coat > FILE Menu > EXPORT TO > Blender (point to 3D Coat 4.8/Exchange folder) > Inside Blender click the IMPORT button, in the Simple3DCoat Applink section, and have all the materials set up with Principled Shader nodes w/appropriated images hooked into it properly?

This is pretty much how it is done in the 3ds Max Applink, and it's awesome to work with. 

• Reputable Contributor

Has anyone found a way, via one of the two Blender Applinks, to get the textures to accompany the mesh (from 3D Coat to Blender)? I have tried for years and still have never found a way to do it. I don't even know what the applink is good for if it cannot send maps with the mesh. It's just an import/export mesh button, otherwise.

• 3 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Can we please get an update to the Blender Applink, that exports (to Blender) the material image maps along with the mesh, and sets those images up in a Principled shader? This would allow users to have their materials already setup and ready to render in Cycles or Evee.

This current addon is 3yrs old and does not set the materials up (like the 3ds Max applink does). Myself and probably all Blender users, here, would be willing to pay for an addon that works well. It can be sold at BlenderMarket.com, Gumroad, or wherever. With all the changes in each 3D app, from year to year, it's too much for Pilgway to keep up with, so I think it makes sense for willing 3rd party developers to step in and monetize the applink(s) development, themselves, so it's worth their time and effort.

• Reputable Contributor

You can see how it works in 3ds Max. If an artist could choose a preset in the Blender Applink (for Cycles/Evee via Principled shader or AMD Pro Render Material), that would be awesome and a real time-saver when the model/scene has a lot of separate objects and multiple UV's.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yes that's what I was meaning in my previous post too. The principled shader seems to work great with 3dc textures, and an automated material node setup would be sooooo useful and timesaving. I know the node wrangler addon goes some of the way with this idea. Maybe there's some code in there that could be borrowed for this purpose.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, Hammers said:

Yes that's what I was meaning in my previous post too. The principled shader seems to work great with 3dc textures, and an automated material node setup would be sooooo useful and timesaving. I know the node wrangler addon goes some of the way with this idea. Maybe there's some code in there that could be borrowed for this purpose.

That's right, and I, like most every Blender-3D Coat user would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for a such an addon (on Gumroad as an example), as long as it works well and is updated once in a while, as needed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's a separate Add-on for this purpose, but maybe you like to check it out:

Since I can't edit my first post, scroll down for the latest version. Eevee support will come soon I hope.

• 1 month later...

Hey community,

With Blender getting in with Unreal, Unity, Lumberyard and it's Eevee implementation coming in 2.8 there's more and more need for an effective, elegant, PBR enabled Applink necessity that feels sadly neglected. I love what @Haunted has done so far, but the Applink is essential.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I also would like to see usable applink between 3d-coat and Blender. I remember that it worked years ago, those were some happy times. :)

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2018 at 3:52 AM, sleekdigital said:

I'm considering purchasing 3D Coat.  Having this work would make my decision easier!

I'm in the same boat - I'd love to purchase 3D Coat, but I'm not quite ready to commit resources. This would make the decision for me!

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, AlfieK said:

I'm in the same boat - I'd love to purchase 3D Coat, but I'm not quite ready to commit resources. This would make the decision for me!

While I would like to this applink completed, he already did the hard part with his addon that hooks the exported maps up, so it's ready to use in Cycles. Just use the 3DCoat Applink that comes with Blender, to get the meshes into Blender and use Ghost's material addon to hook up the materials.

link

5 minutes ago, haikalle said:

Hi! I have been slowly updating my script to work 2.8. Here is some updates I written into script.

+ Support multi objects transfer into 3d-Coat and back to blender.

+ Nodes are supported.

-  Blender 2.8 has many bugs conserning materials so it will  slow down  

I write this script mainly focus blender 2.8 release. Eevee renderer with 3d-coat could be match made in heaven so I try to make this script very powerful. 

There is a lot things to do but let me know if you want to test the beta script and I send it to you. There is no official testing yet. Too early.

I was sad that Haunted was not able to continue with his version of applink. He had just a great start. This applink has always been fun project to me. ( as a hobby) and I think 

that there is so many other who could code this much better than me :)   

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, I have an  weird issue with Applink on my iMac.

Firt of all, It looks little different (attached images), doesn't have directory path command build in. I can only "Transfer" object from Blender to 3D coat. 3D coat recive it, but after I add some changes, like painting for example, when I press "object to original application" nothing really happening. I update on Blender side as well, without any result. Do you know what could be the cause? 

It works only one way Blender > 3D Coat

Regards

1913336660_Screenshot2018-12-02at23_44_56.png.30fd2e161f30075ffe6666e8d3d00792.png

1346746286_Screenshot2018-12-02at23_43_28.png.2b7bd904accd75e8268b212e79e266cb.png

• 2 months later...

Hello guys, 

I work on iMac blender version 2.79 and 3D coat. Applink between these two doesn't work properly. I can Transfer object from Blender to 3D coat easily, but I can't bring it back from 3D Coat after texturing ;/ Blender can't find the exchange path. I don't have option to set directory (look attached image below). I would like to try 'Simple 3D Coat' instead. where can I found the add on. Do you have a link to version 2.79. Thanks in advance ;) 

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 06.52.11.png

• Applink Developer
31 minutes ago, GrzegorzWięcek said:

Hello guys, 

I work on iMac blender version 2.79 and 3D coat. Applink between these two doesn't work properly. I can Transfer object from Blender to 3D coat easily, but I can't bring it back from 3D Coat after texturing ;/ Blender can't find the exchange path. I don't have option to set directory (look attached image below). I would like to try 'Simple 3D Coat' instead. where can I found the add on. Do you have a link to version 2.79. Thanks in advance ;) 

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 06.52.11.png

Hi! With your help I would like to help you witj official build. I don't have mac so it might have some bugs but I'm sure that they can be fixed quite easily. Is there a specific reason why you don't want jump 2.8

1/ I got used to Blender version 2.79, and work there goes smooth and quick,

2/doesn't have much time at the moment to learn new software. I heard Blender 2.8 has changed significantly, shortcuts are different, even UI looks completely different. In future ofcourse, but not in this moment,

3/ I begin to learn 3D Coat instead, and that is my goal for a nextfew  months. I have to manage my time wisely. 

What is your opinion on that what I mentioned above?? 

PS. I downloaded few other versions of Applink from here,

https://blenderartists.org/t/3dcoat-applink-simple3dcoat-addon/595345

and here 

https://github.com/Irrgeist/3D-Coat-Blender-AppLink

and I'll try to install them firsth. If it won't help I will start to search for other solutions. Maybe some Applink alternatives...

Any suggestions are welcome  ;)

Edited by GrzegorzWięcek

• Applink Developer

There has been big changes in 2.8 and 3d-coat officially support that version. I'm not so interested to develop for 2.79 anymore because it's going to fade away at some point, but
I hope you are able to find a solution that fits into your workflow. Nice to hear that you have began to learn 3d-coat. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Blender Applink "Simple3DCoat" (Fork of the official) by mifth