3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink "Simple3DCoat" (Fork of the official) by mifth

mifth

Hi! I'm experiencing a problem when trying to make the applink work. I can export the model to 3D Coat, paint it and export it back into Blender, but no textures transfer from 3D Coat (the model is just white), when looking at the nodes in the shader editor, it only has the default Principled BSDF node, there's no applink node with all the maps themselves. The images are exported fine if looking for them in the folder with the exported .fbx model, they just don't get loaded automatically in Blender like in the tutorial video. Can someone help me find out what am I doing wrong? (I tried it both with the simple starter cube and more complex objects, the result is the same)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.8 Applink "Simple3DCoat" (Fork of the official)
  • 1 year later...
11 hours ago, geo_n said:

What's the current status of the applink with regards to 3dcoat and blender 2.93 lts?
Official video, docs and download link for the applink that works?

Hey @geo_n and all,

If you are asking about the Simple3DCoat plugin which was a fork of original plugin of @haikalle for Blender 2.7 then I did not update it as I was busy with commercial plugins for blender.

https://gumroad.com/mifth

As far as I remember @haikalle updated his original plugin for Blender 2.8+ and it looked awesome. Use it .

• Thanks 1

• Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.93 Applink "Simple3DCoat" (Fork of the official)
  • 5 weeks later...

I can't seem to be able to activate this addon; it doesn't appear in Blender addon list when I search for it, even if the console states it's installed correctly.

What I did:

I have downoladed from your repository the two files:
- `__init__.py`
- `simple_coat.py`

I've placed them in a dir called "simplecoat", zipped it, so that the dir is inside the zip file;
I've checked that there aren't any other applink previous installs in the addon directory (to be sure);
when installed the directory with the two files resides in the addon folder, correctly, the console says:

`Modules Installed () from 'D:\\- WORK -\\3D\\blender addons\\simplecoat.zip' into 'C:\\Users\\[...]\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\3.0\\scripts\\addons'`

But the addon is simply not registered: it's not there when I search for its name, nor under Import/Export section of addons.

Removing the embedded addon IO_3DCoat from the install path makes no difference.

I'm on Blender 3.0 stable, on Windows 10

Any help please? Thank you!

1 minute ago, marcuz993 said:

I can't seem to be able to activate this addon; it doesn't appear in Blender addon list when I search for it, even if the console states it's installed correctly.

What I did:

I have downoladed from your repository the two files:
- `__init__.py`
- `simple_coat.py`

I've placed them in a dir called "simplecoat", zipped it, so that the dir is inside the zip file;
I've checked that there aren't any other applink previous installs in the addon directory (to be sure);
when installed the directory with the two files resides in the addon folder, correctly, the console says:

`Modules Installed () from 'D:\\- WORK -\\3D\\blender addons\\simplecoat.zip' into 'C:\\Users\\[...]\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\3.0\\scripts\\addons'`

But the addon is simply not registered: it's not there when I search for its name, nor under Import/Export section of addons.

Removing the embedded addon IO_3DCoat from the install path makes no difference.

I'm on Blender 3.0 stable, on Windows 10

Any help please? Thank you!

I have Like this. (Don't look at .env, .project files)

image.png.f78bbfbbf8be937a420f4701a50872e6.png

I have Blender 3.1. It works for me.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mifth said:

I have Like this. (Don't look at .env, .project files)

image.png.f78bbfbbf8be937a420f4701a50872e6.png

I have Blender 3.1. It works for me.

Ah, so the .env, .project and .pydevproject files are needed to be in the zip file before the install?

Where do they come from? I ask because the installed dir has only the two I listed before

2 hours ago, marcuz993 said:

Ah, so the .env, .project and .pydevproject files are needed to be in the zip file before the install?

Where do they come from? I ask because the installed dir has only the two I listed before

No, there should be only 2 files. Addon should work. Could you please show your console log?
image.png.fe9c8906a7e0665c1b42a88c59341350.png

• Carlosan changed the title to Blender Applink "Simple3DCoat" (Fork of the official)
fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\marco\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\3.0\\scripts\\addons\\simplecoat\\__init__.py'
fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\marco\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\3.0\\scripts\\addons\\simplecoat\\__init__.py'
Modules Installed () from 'D:\\- WORK -\\3D\\blender addons\\simplecoat.zip' into 'C:\\Users\\marco\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\3.0\\scripts\\addons'

Here's the console output when I try to install the addon

13 hours ago, marcuz993 said:
Modules Installed () from 'D:\\- WORK -\\3D\\blender addons\\simplecoat.zip' into 'C:\\Users\\marco\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\3.0\\scripts\\addons'

Here's the console output when I try to install the addon

Could you please put the folder manually into the C:\\Users\\marco\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\3.0\\scripts\\addons and check if it works.

Also, make sure that the file __init__.py is named correctly.

• Thanks 1

I've copy pasted the content from the files in the repository inside the files in the addon directory, and that did the trick! Now it works as intended.

The previous files, while were from the same exact location as linked in my previous post had different content, I have no idea whether they were corrupted by the download from git, or if I did something else wrongly, but this is at least solved now, many thanks! :)

• Like 2

I've been downloading hundreds of addons on github but I still don't understand the logic of the UI, do we download the zip, the Py ect.. ? I tried to download your simple applink but I lietterally have 6 files, the master have all your tools I believe, the what are the others, they are the simple applink, but maybe not, I'm confused.
image.png.98366fc12ea6df0ce419b910ea6fcd51.png
(well except for quick pipe I know it's not the simple applink haha, but I mean maybe it's _init_.py, it was marked as being the applink.. but simple coat also.. and source archive as well.. but maybe we have to instal the master ?..

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Does this work with Blender 3.1?

Where is the ZIP file for the addon so it can be installed the conventional why that ALL Blender addons are installed (ie: Fluent, Kitops, Quadremesher, SimplyConcept, etc)?

This is the proper convention for addons for Blender.

• Advanced Member

Downloaded the 2 python script files from github

_init_.py

simple_coat.py

Placed them in the addons folder for Blender 3.1.0

"C:\Users\kenmo\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.1\scripts\addons\io_simple_3dcoat"

Enabled in preferences addons

Saved with CONTROL and U

Restarted Blender. Addon is enabled BUT it does not work

Blender-3DC.thumb.JPG.fa6f0337cee704954e8bd32303b7533c.JPG

• Advanced Member

I checked and I had "Exchange_folder.txt" already in the folder C:\Users\username\Documents\3DC2Blender

And it had the correct folder defined.

So I deleted the file and recreated it.

I believe this file is also used by the 3D-Applink as well as the Simple3D-AppLink

As 3D Coat 2021 using the 3D-Applink will receive files from Blender 3.1

3DCoat 2022 using 3D-Applink or Simple3D-AppLink does not work.

I see FBX files being written by Blender when I use the 3D-Applink but when I disable 3D-Applink and enable "Simple" - nothing happens.

And Simple DOES NOT appear in the N panel.

How can I get it to show in the N panel?

I spend why too much time trouble shooting these 3D Coat Blender Addons then with any other Blender Addon.

Cheers & take care...

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

So back to square one as "Simple" appears to be way more trouble, especially without NOT appearing in the N panel.

Why does the official "3D-Coat Applink" work with Blender 3.1 and 3DC 2021 BUT NOT with 3DC 2022.

IMHO this is NOT a Blender issue. The problem IMHO is 3DC 2022 does not check the folder defined in the "Exchange_folder.txt"

FBX files are being written to the folder defined in ""Exchange_folder.txt" which in my case is "E:\MyDocs\3DCoat-2021\Exchange"

And the "Import.txt" is being written to by Blender.

3DC 2021 reads the Import.txt but it appears IMHO that 3DC 2022 is not reading it.

What has changed with 3DC 2022?

And in the bigger picture of global events Andrew, Carlosan and other 3DC staff having bigger issues with the hell Putin is putting you all through. My Applink issue is really a small thing.

So please keep safe. Wishing you all the very best and pray all will return to normal soon in Ukraine....

Ken

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

Watched my St Louis Blues loose to the Carolina Hurricanes (NHL hockey) on TV and was very upset with their performance. So I poked around and I think I found the issue. 

It appears 3D Coat 2020 requires the exchange folder to be \Documents\3DCoat\Exchange

However 3D Coat 2021 works with \Documents\3DCoat-2021\Exchange

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Latest release have built on applink upgrade for version 3.1
Try installing it.

3DCoat-2022-21 

- The direct export to Blender (and other apps) works correctly in Retopo/Modeling rooms via File -> Export Retopo/poly mesh->...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Blender Applink "Simple3DCoat" (Fork of the official) by mifth