3DCoat Forums

Duplicate Objects

stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

What I am making is a bathtub,with four traditional "claw"  feet. So I can sculpt a foot and duplicate it three times...done. Now I could retopo each one in turn,which should be easy enough as they will be quite simple. But the question is can I retopo just one of them and duplicate this retopo to save time.Or better still duplicate a finished retopoed and painted foot in the paint room.

I think the way I will be doing this at the moment is to just retopo and paint one ,and then duplicate it later in Carrara.

Basically the question I am asking is ,how can I duplicate finished painted objects in the paint room?

• Advanced Member

Hi Stu,maybe quicker in Carrara after exporting your retopo and uv from 3DCoat to duplicate and arrange as required.

I can't see a quick method to duplicate retopos but maybe there is.

To duplicate and transform in 3DCoat you could retopo and uv your template foot >export this out

in retopo room >import the foot again with the original foot uv group selected > rename and position/transform this imported retopo group

>repeat for other feet from the original export.

With all the feet retopo groups selected merge to paint room with the single uv group selected >keep uv's when merging > then in the paint room , paint one foot to paint them all with one shared uv map.

A retopo group must have a uv group to be transformed before merging to scene or to paint - in your case you are importing new retopos in to the one uv group rather than importing retopos in to new uv groups.

Hope this makes some sense.

Here's a video I did a while back explaining transforming polygonal assets in 3DCoat which has some resonance with what your discussing.

At the very least it's interesting to know you can mix and match multiple polygonal assets with voxel elements in 3DCoat this way.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for that! That will do it ,  though I reckon for my current purposes , I can do it in carrara .

Funny, I remember looking at this vid ages ago! Just forgot. I will watch it all the way thru when my aches and pains have subsided ,cant concentrate at the moment., rotten old back.....