3DCoat Forums

Most actions result in a crash.

Whenever I do an action such as opening a file, saving a file, or pressing any buttons on the easy start-up menu apart from to work with voxels, 3D coat crashes. The only exceptions to this would be things like using open recent.
I'm completely new to 3D coat, infact, any software of this type, and am unsure if I've stupidly ticked some box that would make the software act like this, however I've found it's gotten to a point that I can't work around the errors and this seriously needs fixed.

Whenever it crashes it either tells me it is unstable and needs to shut down so I should save my work, but then shuts down without giving me a chance to after pressing OK, or in most cases opens a window entitled "CRASH!" along with a lot of information. 
I've entered a bug report but have yet to receive an e-mail back to me, so I decided that perhaps the forums could offer help sooner. It is a very urgent problem, and completely breaks the software so I need a fix rather soon.

I've attached an image of the window I am given when the program crashes, I would have attached everything in the bug report but due to it's extensiveness I decided it would be best to only give it on request.

post-38151-0-71074500-1388513889_thumb.p 

• Advanced Member

well its NYE, so you might have to wait. but maybe:

1) download the newest stable release, i think its 4.0.0.4 from the website.  (although i feel like you might have a steam version, so maybe thats not an option)

2) try DX (directX) mode it works a lot faster for me and doesn't crash, unlike the GL one.

3) update your video card drivers

i dunno this might help, otherwise wait for some official response.

Yes, I have the steam version so unfortunately I can't try other options. I haven't experimented much other versions, so that perhaps is a possibility. My video card drivers should be fine, in fact (I forgot to mention), on my first day using the software I encountered no problems, apart from those were I believe I simply tried to do too many resource intensive things at once. These problems only started to occur, as far as I am aware of, the day after. 
I'll try using different versions, and if that still doesn't help I suppose I will have to first try a complete reinstall, or simply wait for as you said, an official response from either these forums or through an e-mail from bug support. Thanks for you're help, I'll try your suggestions. :)

• Advanced Member

I just wanna cite a post from other topic, maybe that would help, since your problem is very unusual

Sometimes unexplainable behavior happens like that, and just a fresh restart fixes it. That and sometimes deleting the Options.XML file (in the MyDocs/3D Coat V4 directory). Don't know why either. But it's pretty rare. BTW, the DX version is both faster and more reliable than the OpenGL version.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to add to this message - I am a new user too; have Silo, Hexagon and Poser as well as Vue Infinite and no problems there but I am having the same difficulties that PixelZapGames is experiencing.  Right from the get-go, when I attempted the rat from scratch tutorial and selected a sphere, nothing happens.  I then tried a few other things but I get the error messages saying my machine is unstable.

I am going to try chingchong's suggestion but would appreciate help on correct setup of 3D Coat.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying, due to life, and my frustration at the software not working, I've been unwilling to attempt to fix it. However, I was just poking about trying a few things and have seemed to found a potential solution.
I forgot to mention in the original post, but I use the steam version. I found, thanks to directly e-mailing support, that if I downloaded a non-steam version that version would work fine. However, I would prefer to have the steam version work.
I got around the problem like so; firstly, I right clicked on 3D coat in my software library, then I went to properties. Once there, I clicked on the local files tab and went to browse local files. Once I was in that folder, I navigated to the bottom where all version of 3D-coat are located. I selected one, opened it up, and once it was running testing using "Open", followed by creating a new file and various other things which would previously crash the software. They all worked.
I strongly believe it has something to do with the file navigation and it's connection to steam, but I'm un-sure. It should be noted that using this technique steam doesn't tell me I'm using the software, were as the usual process of opening alerted my friends and so forth. I suppose this could back this theory up. Thanks for all your help, if anyone can supply more information I would be grateful. I am just about to report my findings through an e-mail to support now.