3DCoat Forums

ivan stuff

ivan3dguy

bf390a0b54deaffdfbe51a9facfc08fb.jpg4f3a33223c79d18826f21aa8824bc448.jpg

b6928dd00dcc52bd0cbcf0945ac88aad.jpg

Hey guys,  I want to share something i made.  Pretty happy with some of the results.  The pipeline - entirely experimental.  Lightwave for geometry+UV,  3dcoat to paint bump map,  ndo2 to convert bumps to normal maps, then take to substance designer to make final texture.  The process for painting the bump map-  I just poly paint in 3dcoat with alphas i made for 3dcoat detailing and use lots of the poly lasso paint projection tool.  Painting the bump maps is seriously time consuming, but for me it seems to be worth it, it is a skill I am glad to be working on and I am very happy to be able to accomplish this task with 3dcoat.

ivan mitkowski

• Like 3

looking good, which rendered engine did you use for the pictures ?

you may add some dirty detail to increase the tone contrast , and give more variations.

the reactors on the back are too clean , its like the vehicle has never been use, and that not what the global texture tells us :)

anyway great work !

hey guys!  thank you so much for the comments and suggestions,  I feel welcome here :)   render engine-  octane render.  and yes , there is many problems with the texture fuzz,  I must take things 1 step at a time,  this texture was huge progress for me.  I will soon be beta tester for substance painter and that will definitely help.  

I want to learn to finish models,  and lots of robots and spaceships, so i had to start small.   i will continue posting my work here,  again thanks for the support and positivity

• Contributor

Really nice vehicles, Ivan! But I like your first images more than the last one, because of its overly saturated colour textures.

If I may suggest something, you could paint some black dirt from chemical fuel inside those exhaust pipes. At the moment those pipes look very clean and it is quite obvious they lead to nowhere.

Also, have you considered painting some glossiness texture to break uniform reflections on your model? I think it would bring in a lot of realism.

Anyway, good show and very nice models and textures! :)

ajz3d  -  yes i agree about the last image texture , too saturated, that was my first test with the pipeline so it had lots of problems , but still good progress for me , and yes i agree i need to start adding gloss/spec maps that will definitely help.  

karth3d- thank you so much

today i wanted to experiment with the sketch function in 3dcoat to help get started faster with full character voxel sculpts , here is the results, its awesome and i love it! :)

ffb901c2f91b7a41c67ca38c51329f6d.jpg

ee63f27b7abfec5cdbd0806b4d5cada8.jpg

c4ff325926ccfd559b73533085aa9a03.jpg

4ced51c9cae44d4a7ec277be3e073469.jpg

• Contributor

If you resample voxel layer of a cookie cut character to something really low, like 5000 or so (depends on the initial voxel resolution and complexity of a voxel volume) and then apply a couple iterations of Smooth All to it, you will quickly turn square surfaces into very round shapes.

• Like 1

• Contributor

If you resample voxel layer of a cookie cut character to something really low, like 5000 or so (depends on the initial voxel resolution and complexity of a voxel volume) and then apply a couple iterations of Smooth All to it, you will quickly turn square surfaces into very round shapes.

Very good tip! Thanks!