3DCoat Forums

Hello

Clayphd

Hello, I'm Josh though I normally got by Clay. I am fairly new to 3d-coat only have had it a month and a half, and have made basically nothing :unsure:  I've got a question... I don't have zbrush but I have watched a lot of videos on it on youtube trying to learn as much as I can on sculpting that I can, I do realize that 3d-coat and zbrush are very different programs but I was wondering if there is anything like, I think it's called, the stamp tool in 3d-coat?

• Advanced Member

Hi, Clay and welcome!  While it doesn't act exactly like ZBrush's Stamp Tool, there is the Airbrush Tool in 3D Coat for use in Voxel Mode that, when combined with various brush options and/or materials or masks, can effectively do the same thing.  It constantly grows the surface beneath the brush.  If you're looking at the Paint Room, rather than the Voxel Room, there is an Airbrush Tool there, as well.

I do like the preview that the Stamp Tool in ZB gives, but I also like the "feel" of the Airbrush Tool in 3DC.  Both programs really compliment each other well, despite many people sort of pitting them against each other.  I use both, but spend most of my time in 3D Coat, especially for commercial work.

Edited by alvordr

• Reputable Contributor

The "Stamp" Draw mode...and it's sibling, the "Moveable Stamp" Draw Mode (right next to it) in 3D Coat are two of the most powerful tools you can use in the app. It's great for both Sculpting and Painting. And BTW, ZBrush and 3D Coat are a lot more alike, than they dissimilar. You can start a model from scratch in both, and you can take it all the way to uber-high sculpting detail and texture painting,

ZBrush's sculpting tools are more mature than 3D Coat's (because they were in business long before 3D Coat), but Andrew has largely focused on the sculpting environment in 3D Coat for the past 5yrs, and it is now a very competent rival in that area. However, every other major toolset, in which they share like capability, 3D Coat is considerably more advanced. Retopology, UV Layout/Editing (including Ptex, which ZBrush doesn't offer), and Texture Painting. 3D Coat is also more adept at Hard-Surface Sculpting/Modeling, and it's reputation in that arena is growing daily.

This video covers the draw modes in the E-Panel. Don't think the Moveable Stamp mode was added before this was recorded.

This one covers the Moveable Stamp, as well as creating your custom brush alpha/profile. And remember, with the Moveable Stamp mode, you can use the 9 and the 0 keys to rotate the brush...even on the fly, while you are moving the stamp. You can also adjust the scale on the fly using your bracket keys ( [ ] )

And the images are some hard surface sculpting/modeling examples done strictly in 3D Coat alone.

Edited by AbnRanger