3DCoat Forums

68 Minute Voxel Head

Hey all!

Didn't realise I'd be creating so many recordings so I'll just update this thread if I have anything new to add! Anyhow, I have recorded a new video and this time it's a lot more relevant to this forum. I had a crack at trying to sculpt a decent head in around an hour and you can see the results here:

http://bit.ly/GVHJK

Apologise in advance for the awful viewport navigation - I hope it doesn't make you feel sick! I'm not yet totally comfortable with 3D Coat so I'm all over the place when trying to choose a good view. As you can tell from the video, I stayed in voxels and used Grow, Airbrush and Cutoff exclusively, mainly because they were all I needed!

Thanks for watching - I hope you like it! :)

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

I liked it. Are you going to make a stab at portraiture?

Hi Tony, I do a lot of traditional portraiture but have never really tried it in 3D! I may give it a go one of the days, it'd be interesting :)

Thanks to you and everyone else for the kind comments.

All the best,

John

Hey all, thanks again for watching!

I have created yet another video but this time I gave it a shot in Sculptris. Whilst sculpting the beast concept in the following video, I realised how much 3D Coat is currently lacking a good crease brush in voxels. I personally like the freedom that voxels offer so I tend to stay in voxel mode until I'm ready to add detail. Having to switch back and forth from polygons to voxels just to get a decent crease brush seems unnecessary to me - especially because some details are lost with each switch.

Anyhow, here's the video for those of you that are interested:

Beast Concept

Cheers,

John

Edited by John Kearney

• Advanced Member

Hi John, 

I enjoyed the first head sculpt and was looking forward to checking this out too but the link seems to be broken.

I prefer working in voxel mode too and would happily stay there for all eternity. It is just a shame about the crease brush as you say.

I also would love the ability to move up and down through different detail levels like zbrush or some kind of simplistic base rig / skeleton for posing.

Hi Marc, thanks for the heads-up! Should be fixed now :)

I'm in the same boat as you, I generally love the power of voxels and usually stay there for as long as I can. I think it's because I know that details are lost when switching back and forth, which does put me off doing it. In addition, I know it's improved a lot, but 3D Coat still feels a little clunky to me when in polygon mode. I feel there are too many redundant brushes, almost too many options. I think it needs to be a lot more streamlined with a relatively small set of brushes that are finely honed and tuned until they're on a par with the competition (subjective, but for me it still doesn't match ZBrush on that front). It's unfortunate that voxels require a lot more memory and processing power! When you have to start adding a ridiculous amount of detail (film quality) then voxels unfortunately can't keep up.

• Advanced Member

I also bought a copy of Zbrush recently (mainly because of Zremesher) and really love the feel of some of the brushes and the insane levels of detail.

I must admit that I still do not feel 'at home' in it yet though.

I am so used to the 3D Coat workflow and navigation after years of use that I feel a bit lost sometimes.... 

Nice Beast! Time for me to give Sculptris another go I think.

Do you prefer Sculptris over Zbrush?

Thanks Marc, I don't prefer Sculptris to ZBrush, it's just that I don't have ZBrush due to the fact we're developing 2D games at the moment which I'm loving! These videos are about pure enjoyment for me so I figured I'd share them in case anyone out there finds them interesting. If I'm honest, I'm not particularly comfortable in any sculpting application right now. My background is mostly in traditional modelling (3DS Max) and 2D (illustration, texturing etc).

• Advanced Member

It certainly doesn't show!  :)

You seem like a completely at home in both videos.

I always believe a great artist can work with whatever tools he is given though.

You have inspired me to start doing a few more 3d sketches for fun which I may start recording.

It is so nice to just create something without constraint or purpose but it is something I find I have less time to do at present.

I first remember seeing your 2D work in ImagineFX ages ago. Looking forward to seeing more of your 3D stuff...