3DCoat Forums

sphere tool problems

Arcanor

I've just downloaded 3d-coat and am just trying to follow along with the "rat from scratch" tutorial, but I'm having trouble using the sphere tool.  I'm using the 30-day free trial of v4.0.04B, cuda x64, in Windows 7.

When I select the sphere tool I am having two issues:

1. if I single click I do not get a sphere.  I get nothing at all.  This is driving me crazy.  All the documentation and tutorials say that if I single-click I should get a sphere.

2. if I drag click I do not get a sphere.  I get some kind of extruded rectangle with rounded edges.

I'm guess I've inadvertantly changed some setting somewhere, but can't figure out what I've done wrong.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Here are some images from my troubleshooting process in 3d-coat:

documentation right in the interface, explaining that the Sphere tool LMB should create a sphere:

http://screencast.com/t/fLzRYNnK

me trying to single LMB click, but no sphere results:

http://screencast.com/t/i1mWqQZyw

me dragging with the sphere tool selected, which I hope will create a sphere:

http://screencast.com/t/jJ09IspEtrag

the resultant non-sphere that I got instead:

http://screencast.com/t/5QymjqWJyg

I have figured out why you are having a problem.  If you look at the 3d coat window you will notice a T and a shape right above the voxel brushes.  In your case the shape is a retangle.  If you roll your cursor over the retangle a panel with other shapes will appear.  You can also make this panel appear by pressing E.  So it is  referred as your e panel. 

This panel controls bush pressure and mouse clicks. 

The problem is that you have the retangle setting selected.  The retangle setting makes retangle no matter what brush you have selected.  If you want your sphere brush to make spheres you need to select one of the wavey settings on the left of the panel.  I have included some screen grabs for you.  Hopefully this is helpful.

post-28545-0-70983500-1391503345_thumb.j

post-28545-0-58445600-1391503364_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thank you so much pagankmck!  I looked and looked but couldn't see the relevant difference between my screen and the tutorial.  I don't know how it got set that way, but I'm glad it's set back to a "normal" setting again!  My spheres are indeed now looking like spheres, and I can continue with the tutorial.

Developer suggestion: add a new entry on the Help menu that resets the entire workspace to default settings.

I have tried to register for an account on the mantis tracker, but I've not gotten the email, and there's nothing in my junk mail folder.

You are registered. I see you account here.

If you like, I will reset your password. After this you should get an message to change the password. (I never see your password, of course. I can only reset it.)

I will send you an PM with the registered Mail. Maybe you made a typo?

You are registered. I see you account here.

If you like, I will reset your password. After this you should get an message to change the password. (I never see your password, of course. I can only reset it.)

I will send you an PM with the registered Mail. Maybe you made a typo?

Still can't login to mantis, and not getting email notifications at all.  I'm moving this conversation to PM so it doesn't confuse the ongoing support thread.

I think you will find the option of resetting the workspace to default under the Windows menu.  Please See attached thumbnail.

Thanks again pagankmck, but I saw that menu option and did try it before making my original post in this thread.  It doesn't reset the rectangle selector (and thus didn't solve my original problem).  It only appears to reset the page/room menu and the window positions.

Press "E"

Select draw with constant deep and radius

click anywhere over the screen

Thanks carlosan, but we've already solved that problem above. :)  Right now we're just trying to figure out if there's a way to get the "default" settings back for a newbie like me who accidentally changed them and didn't know what to do.

How to reset brushes to default

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10675&hl=%2Bdelete+%2Boption#entry95368

or 

Close the app > go to MyDocuments/3D Coat > Delete the Options.xml file > Restart the app and try to see if everything works properly.

How to reset brushes to default

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10675&hl=%2Bdelete+%2Boption#entry95368

or 

Close the app > go to MyDocuments/3D Coat > Delete the Options.xml file > Restart the app and try to see if everything works properly.

Thanks again carlosan.  Those sound like good solutions, but a typical newbie wouldn't know that they should do those things.

Now if I can find my way into the mantis tracker I'll suggest that something like it can be done automatically from a menu, for any future newbies who don't know why every tutorial is failing. :)

• 4 weeks later...

:) I too have just run into this situation. I started expanding my learning and made a mess. Now when I draw using the MOVE I get non solid shapes. Like a saw blade. I agree a Reset EVERYTHING would be very handy.

Thanks,

NM

Edited by noobmeister