3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Splitting a texture layer that's symmetrical into two layers

bperes

Hi all!  I love this program but I'm in a bit of a dilemma because it ALMOST does everything I need.  I have to split layers up so that I have left and right on their own layer.  Is there a way I can do it in here versus taking everything into photoshop and trying to cut the pieces apart?

Thanks!  

If I'm following corrrectly it may help to go into the UV room, then select all islands from one side,  Then in the menu near the upper left you'll find Add New UV-set.  Then the menu next to that to "Move Selected" islands to the new set.  I believe after that you will have to click Apply UV-Set in the tools on the right. You may have to do it for both of the sets you now have.  After this when you export you should have separate images for left and right. You may also like to use Pack UV or some of the other tools to be sure therenew sets don't have wasted space.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi philnolan3d, thanks for your reply!  So 3dc will spit out separate images depending on UV sets?  I'm working to try to get characters in Unity, so I kind of need to have the images for left and write on the same UV set—Unity flattens all textures into one image—but as separate images.  So both the left and right hands are next to each other in the UV set but I can have two images, a left side and a right side with everything else transparent.  

Can using UV sets like you describe work for something like this?  Thanks!

If I'm following corrrectly it may help to go into the UV room, then select all islands from one side,  Then in the menu near the upper left you'll find Add New UV-set.  Then the menu next to that to "Move Selected" islands to the new set.  I believe after that you will have to click Apply UV-Set in the tools on the right. You may have to do it for both of the sets you now have.  After this when you export you should have separate images for left and right. You may also like to use Pack UV or some of the other tools to be sure therenew sets don't have wasted space.