3DCoat Forums

UV Mapping "Half of the Model"

Schoening

• Advanced Member

I work with half the model, all the time.  As long as the model is symmetrical, simply work on one half of it, with symmetry turned on and then make sure to 'Apply symmetry to the current layer' under the Retopo menu in the Retopo room.  This will ensure that the UV is applied to both sides.  Of course, you still may need to Unwrap and Update Islands, as necessary.  It's a pretty easy thing to do in 3D Coat and one of the main reasons I love 3DC over most other programs.  It's very painless to work with, once you get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Does anyone have some good links where I can find information on how to cut up a model for use in a game engine. I mean what is the most efficient way to retopo your model and then mark the seams for the UV's. I struggle with the poly count and marking the seams properly for good texture space. I want to know the best methods for estimating the poly count of models to work well in a game engine.