3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Painting confusion

Grimm

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to do some touch up painting on the mesh I have but I can't get it to allow me to paint on it.  I created a coin mesh by starting up 3D-Coat and selecting the mesh from image option.  I pre-made the diffuse, normal, and mask images before I started 3D-Coat and used them in the mesh to image tool.  This works really well and I select the Apply button to merge it into the voxel room.  I then smooth the edges using the surface tools so it looks more an old stamped coin.  I then do the AUTOTOPO ->  with MV paint option and select the defaults for that.  Maybe this is not a good option?  

I then go to the paint room so I can clean up the edges some more so it looks better and this is were it stops working.  Here is a screen capture of the paint room:

post-38101-0-76003200-1393806875_thumb.j

Thanks

• Advanced Member

I then go to the paint room so I can clean up the edges some more so it looks better and this is were it stops working. 

Grimm, could you describe further what you mean by cleaning up the edges?

Do you mean cleaning up the edges by painting color or painting normal depth information?  Do you mean you cannot paint in the paint room?

If you meaning cleaning up edges by further sculpting then you would have to do this in a sculpt room before running the autopo operation that sent it to the paint room.

• Reputable Contributor

Under the View menu in Paint Room make sure that "Show voxels in Paint Room is deselected" otherwise the voxel/surface model will overlay the MV model. This could be your problem.

The reason voxel / surface models show up in the paint room is for vertex painting without using uv sets... It is selected by default. You have to remember to deselect it before or after you merge a model to the paint room.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys,

I did turn off the show voxels in the paint room and all I want to do is to paint the edges with color.  Actually I would like to use the stamp tool so I can copy the colors from the front or back of the coin to the edges.  I didn't specifically merge the mesh to the paint room, how do you do that?  I assumed that when you use the  AUTOTOPO ->  with MV paint option that the mesh gets merged for you?  

Jason

• Advanced Member

Thanks, that is good to know, but it doesn't help me with not being able to paint on the mesh once it's in the paint room.  Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm not doing something I should.  I just need to understand the workflow.  I have checked the paint and brush settings, I also tried several tools but nothing will paint on the mesh.  Any insight into the issue would be awesome.  :)

Jason

I was giving a class on Saturday for painting/baking in 3DC, and had this happen as well. I know it didn't function like this in the past, so it's either a new feature or a bug. I'm leaning toward the latter myself.

The way I solved it was to create a new paint layer and paint on that, or at least attempt to paint on it, to see if it allows you to do so. The problem is caused somehow either by or simply during the baking process, and doesn't allow you to paint or smooth on the normal map it generates.

I suppose at this point we should alert Andrew to this issue to have him look at it.

I'm trying to do some touch up painting on the mesh I have but I can't get it to allow me to paint on it.  I created a coin mesh by starting up 3D-Coat and selecting the mesh from image option.  I pre-made the diffuse, normal, and mask images before I started 3D-Coat and used them in the mesh to image tool.  This works really well and I select the Apply button to merge it into the voxel room.  I then smooth the edges using the surface tools so it looks more an old stamped coin.  I then do the AUTOTOPO ->  with MV paint option and select the defaults for that.  Maybe this is not a good option?  

I then go to the paint room so I can clean up the edges some more so it looks better and this is were it stops working.  Here is a screen capture of the paint room:

attachicon.gifpaint1.jpg

Thanks

I tried to reproduce, but all works as expected.

Please send me scene to analyse to support@3d-coat.com

Could be good to provide steps to reproduce as well.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew,

I will send the file to you when I get home from work.  I can also zip up the images I'm using with the 3b file if that would help?  I'm also using the Linux version (4.0.15B) of 3D-Coat if that makes a difference.

Jason

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew!  I was able to get it to work by adding another layer like Javis did.  So when you export the object with the textures the layers are automatically merged to create the diffuse, specular, normal images?  I tried to change the blending operation but the results were not good.  :)  Could you describe how the bake operation works and why you need the "Multiply" blending?  Thanks again,

Jason