3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Scale. What is the best procedure to use?

noobmeister

Ok, another noob question. Sometimes I need a kickstart! :o  On another thread I asked about my paintbrush looking like it had a texture that I didn't like the looks of. I was expecting a smooth shape when I sculpted using the MOVE tool in Voxel Sculpting and I got what looked like a jagged animal horn. So although I could turn up the resampling, it looked like a lot of extra weight in MB added. Then I thought maybe I am just using the wrong scale when I work? Like using the smallest sphere to start and zooming in on it. So I used a larger sphere and thing were much better. So my question: :D  What is the best procedure to use in getting the proper scale for your object? For instance, if I want to make a pair of boots for an avatar should I just bring in the avatar and size using it as a size or scale example? Or, make the object large and scale it down to size for best resolution? Advice and suggestions anyone? I am a noob at this as I have only had it 5 days. :rofl: And pretty new to 3D in general.

Thanks,

NM

• Advanced Member

Noobmesiter i've answered your previous question in that thread

I'll repeat it here to keep maters tidy. if you're getting edge artifacts using the move tool it probably means you need to change to a softer brush alpha and or raise the move tool's falloff. Hard alphas and low falloffs can create artifacts and overlaps using move.

Also you can Resample resolution up (or down) by your own chosen input - only if you press Res+ do you go up higher quickly depending on your original placed size in relation to the grid on a default vox layer.

The initial resolution of your object is set by your objects scale when merged to scene in size relation to the grid.

The larger the merged voxels when placing a primitive for example - the higher the resolution.

If you then transform resize this placed voxel object then press res+ you increase it's resolution just as you would as if you had not physically resized it at all i.e the resolution was set when initially merged.

Likewise in 3dcoat you can create empty layers with a resolution based on existing layers.Voxels added to these layers will be then at that resolution.

Understanding vox layers and their resolutions is vital if you wish to get expected results when merging voxels together from different layers for voxels will take on the resolution of the layer they are merged too and can therefore mean the loss of details if merged to low resolution layers.

Note that unlike polygonal modelling that can utilize placing neighboring polygon edges close together to maintain crisp forms, in 3d coat's voxel mode only high enough resolutions will give you crisp hard edged details.

here's an old video i did that explains these resolution concepts.