3DCoat Forums

Optimizing Uvs for Maximum Texture Resolution

Grimmy

• Advanced Member

I am trying to texture some hair but by uvs are all on little islands of their own. Each chunk of hair basically needs to share the same area of texture space as the next so I can really maximize the resolution. How do I go about doing this?

I need to straighten out and scale all the islands and then place them on top of each other, but I can't even figure out how to move an individual vertex inside the uv preview window.

Can anyone help?

I have attached an example texture of what I am attempting to map to. You can see there are just a few straight strips and the detail level is high.

Cheers

post-37556-0-89932400-1394665716_thumb.p

post-37556-0-04858200-1394666032_thumb.j

• Contributor

(...)but I can't even figure out how to move an individual vertex inside the uv preview window.

Can anyone help?

With this I can help you. To move vertices in the UV preview window you need to select Mark Seams, then Vertices from the top bar and a vertex from the UV window. Voila.

You can use various E-panel modes too.

• Advanced Member

Actually, this looks like it will be completely impossible or take about a week of solid vertex pushing.  Is there a better way. I used the brush which helped a bit but it will still take forever..isn't there some kind of 'set islands to square' button somewhere?

May be the new method of unwrapping - GU (globally ungorm unfolding) along with ABF, LSCM help

Is working fine in the next 4.0.17 release

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&p=106024

-4.0.16 implementation is buggy-

------------------------------------------------

Request:

An equivalent to "followActiveQuads" UV method or the UVGroups

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1438

please add your +1 if need it

I am trying to texture some hair but by uvs are all on little islands of their own. Each chunk of hair basically needs to share the same area of texture space as the next so I can really maximize the resolution. How do I go about doing this?

I need to straighten out and scale all the islands and then place them on top of each other, but I can't even figure out how to move an individual vertex inside the uv preview window.

Can anyone help?

I have attached an example texture of what I am attempting to map to. You can see there are just a few straight strips and the detail level is high.

Cheers

You can move vertexes inside the UV room. There you can load your hair texture to set it as an orientation template.

Unfortunately only identical UV patches can be overlapped together by using the UV copy paste function inside the UV room. UV patches with different shape and vertex amount will not be overlapped.

For understanding overlapping UVs in 3D Coat:

- Only identical shapes can be overlapped!

- To overlap two patches: Copy patch 1, select the identical target patch and paste your copy.

Best wishes

Chris

• Advanced Member

"May be the new method of unwrapping - GU (globally ungorm unfolding) along with ABF, LSCM help"

When is  version 4.0.17 due out? 

Thanks

P.S Good to know about the copy/paste feature but all my islands differ wildy in number of vertices and shape so I doubt that will help.

Edited by Grimmy