3DCoat Forums

Merging problem

JoseConseco

• Advanced Member

Hi, I try to merge multiple surface layers into one, but there is always boolean error and fail to merge all layers to one. I can do it in voxel mode, but I loose paint data. I tried even exporting scene to obj, and importing to single layer - but again boolean error. Andrew suggested merging to empty layer, but it dosen't work.  So is there any way to merge objects in surface mode without performing boolean? 

I want to do this for pose my hi poly model, without need to retopo and rigging. 

• Reputable Contributor

You can do booleans in surface model but they than can fail on more complicated areas as it is polygon based and not voxels..

Jose, since you have several layers and will in most cases be using the pose tool to pose your character have you selected in the top menu "Through all volumes"

Now you can select several layers and pose them in conjunction with each other, no need to merge your character layers together.

I am only making suggestions based upon the information given as you did not state that you tried the above method I just gave.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Tony Nemo - yep booleans in surface mode usually won't work. But going into voxel mode is loosing my vertex paint as mentioned in first post. What I wanted is to combine all surface layers into one - without boolean.  Just like 'merge visible' in zbrush - is not performing boolean.

digman - awesome thanks! I haven't noticed it before. This is even better than what I was asking for.