3DCoat Forums

GeneralAce55 WIP Book

GeneralAce55

• Advanced Member

post-37729-0-62865100-1396314346_thumb.p

Here is my first WIP and my first purely creative sculpt from just a sphere. I plan on experimenting with curves and many other tools as I can with this sculpt and will hopefully go all the way with it, from sculpt to retopo to animation for the game that I am working on. If anyone has any suggestions for either methods or for details in the model itself, PLEASE share them with me. I am very new to creature sculpting and sculpting in general. Up until this point I have mainly used every other tool and room in 3d-Coat EXCEPT the voxel room. Thank you and I hope you enjoy the work!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

post-37729-0-99982300-1396353306_thumb.p

post-37729-0-73139300-1396353630_thumb.p

post-37729-0-69574300-1396353837_thumb.p

Here is an update after last night, I added a lot of creases to the head and detailed the back of the neck more, also added the tusks. In the second image you can see the base block out for the neck and body. Does anybody have a good way of connecting them to make it look seamless?

• Advanced Member

Another update, this one mostly shows the detail sculpting I started doing on the head, whoops, as I later learned from Carlosan (major thanks to you) I should have stayed in voxel mode and kept the base shape so that I could merge it with the neck to make it seamless, but lesson learned, I'll try to find some way to make it unnoticeable, but if anyone has tips or suggestions, please once again, let me know, I haven't gotten any feedback so I have no idea whether what I'm doing is good, absolutely horrible, or somewhere inbetween. Thanks!

post-37729-0-37935200-1396662055_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Managed to get lucky and be able to merge the body and head with very little loss of details thank God! Also, I have finally found that decimate, not resample is best if you need to go lower in polygon count and still keep details. Hope you can start to see the block shapes, soon I will be attempting to add legs like that of a velociraptor 

post-37729-0-62689100-1396750241_thumb.p

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Here is the final render of the sculpt of the creature, please let me know what you think of it! I'm about to work on the retopology now, does anyone have any hints as to go about it? I need to use this for animation so I would prefer to use the traditional methods rather than autopo. Thank you

P.S. If you would like to see more views (e.g. front, side, top, etc...), please let me know and I will post them

post-37729-0-12808900-1398192004_thumb.p

Edited by GeneralAce55
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ok I've started a new sculpt here for fun, I was trying to emulate some techniques that I saw in a speed sculpt using z-brush, so far, 3d-coat has performed like a champ! I am wondering however, could someone please tell me which of these suits look more proportionally correct? I am going for a sci-fi mech suit of armor, one that is designed to take heavy hits so it should be bulky, but still allow flexibility. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

post-37729-0-11524900-1398541468_thumb.p

post-37729-0-93062100-1398541495_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Nice start with the sci-fi armor! for the moment I imagine it could fit with a huge reptilian like guy.

I see that you start sculpting your details quite early.

be careful, it may take you time to change them after you add other parts.

Most of the time people think the sculpting workflow as three phases.

- The blocking of the main silhouette (very rough shape)

- Medium volumes (going one more degree deeper in the volume details)

- final details upon medium volumes (sharpening or softening some areas, adding bolts zipper, etc...)

It's not easy, but you could think it is the same as a drawing process.

- general lines thrown on the paper without fearing to be correct or not

- adjusting the lines to get something more dynamic in the general shapes

- adding details and texture feel for more "realism".

I hope it helps.

Can't wait to see how the gear will evolve.

Good luck with it!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
Nice start with the sci-fi armor! for the moment I imagine it could fit with a huge reptilian like guy.

I see that you start sculpting your details quite early.

be careful, it may take you time to change them after you add other parts.

Most of the time people think the sculpting workflow as three phases.

- The blocking of the main silhouette (very rough shape)

- Medium volumes (going one more degree deeper in the volume details)

- final details upon medium volumes (sharpening or softening some areas, adding bolts zipper, etc...)

It's not easy, but you could think it is the same as a drawing process.

- general lines thrown on the paper without fearing to be correct or not

- adjusting the lines to get something more dynamic in the general shapes

- adding details and texture feel for more "realism".

I hope it helps.

Can't wait to see how the gear will evolve.

Good luck with it!

That really does help me quite a lot! So if I can understand you right, you would have added the arms, legs, head, and other such objects before doing the creases that I did or the bands at the bottom? I had never thought about how that might affect my workflow till now haha, but that makes so much sense :) !

• Advanced Member

Well, that's just a way to keep the whole balance of the character.

Sometimes when you get too early in details with one part without

knowing precisely what will be other parts, it's tricky to re-ajust

each body-part shapes afterwards.

It's just a way to gain time, not "the best way" at all.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I apologize for the slow responses but I'm right in the middle of testing season, woohoo :P Thankfully one of my classes is advanced game art design so I've been trying to make excuses for me to use 3d-Coat! Here is the latest sculpt I've done for a 3d fighting game that I'm making in that class, any critiques are welcome! Thanks to all who have replied, Tony and Garagarape, and thanks Carlosan for the continued support!

post-37729-0-67387500-1399943567_thumb.p

post-37729-0-61127700-1399943573_thumb.p