3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Does anyone know of a way to sculpt like this.

alpine_rockwall_02.jpg

As you can see they have some lovely hard edges and indents - in 3d coat i cant get this king of effect, if i were to sculpt a rock using build,scrape/pinch tools, the rock would end up smoother looking; without receses and crevices but only out going parts in the rock.

Anyone know of tools/brush tequeniques to make rockes like this? (btw, they were made in zbrushy)

• Advanced Member

Yes it does, i took another try and it turneed out better, hoever i still cant find a controled way of making those little scratches and bumps/crevices - i can use the scrape tool on high depth to give the rock some scrapes and stuff around the dges but that is not a controled way because it relies on brush speed, depth and size to sheer into the rock. also it isnt as clean cut as the ones ive shown.

• Contributor

Yes it does, i took another try and it turneed out better, hoever i still cant find a controled way of making those little scratches and bumps/crevices - i can use the scrape tool on high depth to give the rock some scrapes and stuff around the dges but that is not a controled way because it relies on brush speed, depth and size to sheer into the rock. also it isnt as clean cut as the ones ive shown.

I do this kind of stuff really easily using my trim preset,then I go in with polish preset to refine/bridge some areas and inverted clay brush to make indents.

I dont have picture to post but I get as if not cleaner/sharper result than image above. You can find the presets under preset tab in latest update (4.1)

• Contributor

This is what i came up with

ay93ib.png

Its aright, but not really quite the same quality s the ones in my above, any  ideas on improvements?

I dont see enough Trim brush strokes on your rock otherwize there would be more sharper areas...really get the sharp/chipped form first then move on to add surfce dents n stuff..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what's gone wrong?

k99t09.png

I get what you are after and have had the same problems.. I need to make a gem rough and I get these really soft corners. The trim tool as mentioned about does help but as soon as you use one smooth all it's all gone :/ 

I just don't think coat can retain fine detail like zbrush can and that really just sucks :/

• Reputable Contributor

I get what you are after and have had the same problems.. I need to make a gem rough and I get these really soft corners. The trim tool as mentioned about does help but as soon as you use one smooth all it's all gone :/ 

I just don't think coat can retain fine detail like zbrush can and that really just sucks :/

You can increase the resolution enough, so that it doesn't create soft edges. If you are working in Voxels, you can keep the count pretty high for this reason, but if you need to reduce the memory footprint, you can switch to Surface mode and go to the VOXEL menu > DECIMATE. That will try to leave you with more polygons where you need it and fewer where you don't.