3DCoat Forums

Hard Surface Sculpting in 3DCoat

TimmyZDesign

• Contributor

I just wanted to create a thread here dedicated to hard surface sculpting/modeling in 3D-Coat.

Feel free to post any tips, tricks, tutorials, or whatever you know about it so as to help the community out.

I'll start by adding a nice timelapse video I found on Youtube.

I saw some useful techniques used here that I thought were worth sharing. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AVERcG9Qy8

Thanks for starting this thread Timmy, been experimenting a lot with hard surface techniques in Zbrush recently and happy to do the same in 3DC, I'll even have something to share with the community here soon.

I agree the video is less resourceful due to the fact we can't see the tools being used, which is sad because I really would love to know how the control the pinching dynamically like is being demonstrated in the vid. Anyone here know how to do this with splines? Seems really intuitive.

[edit - just hit enter... very nice]

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for starting this thread Timmy, been experimenting a lot with hard surface techniques in Zbrush recently and happy to do the same in 3DC, I'll even have something to share with the community here soon.

I agree the video is less resourceful due to the fact we can't see the tools being used, which is sad because I really would love to know how the control the pinching dynamically like is being demonstrated in the vid. Anyone here know how to do this with splines? Seems really intuitive.

[edit - just hit enter... very nice]

It looked like he was using the "Angulator" Brush (Surface mode), but with the spline on the model, you could use Pinch or even CreaseClay (inverted to create an extruded crease):

Spline Stroke Draw Mode:

• Like 2

• Contributor

Wow! Thanks everybody! This thread has already turned into a gold mine of information!

I am especially intrigued by the video of Fuad's workflow (thank you Artman for posting it)!

A question about it: He continually uses the Hide tool to hide parts of the model, then goes to the Voxel menu and selects a command there. Which command is it? It seems that the command creates a slight separation between the previously hidden mesh and the original mesh. What is happening there?

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

He use in the Voxel Tab the Separate hidden part.  This works like  the Split Tool.

I still have no idea why he did it in that way. Maybe it is easier to do it in that way.

Split tool allows you only one selection after what you will have a new object from your selection. He uses Voxels Hide tool to hide many parts of his  model and then he uses command Object-ify Hidden, which creates a new object from all hidden parts. I watched this moment couple times in his video to figure out what he is doing here and why.

Edited by Vipera

... He uses Voxels Hide tool to hide many parts of his  model ..

Cool, i never noticed this command, it's a bit like a freeze tool in surface mode in a way. While hidden, the object is not impacted by brush.

Thanks !

• 5 years later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Hard Surface Sculpting in 3DCoat