3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] UV mapping for idiots

worldcrafter

• Advanced Member

I Havant used 3dcoat much and ive been trying to retopologize and uv map without success.

2zgytly.pngou 

As you can see i'm wanting a very lowpoly model, if anyonne knows of someresources that would help me with this I'd like to know

The UV's are a disaster and I Dont know how to tweak the uv's so I can get rid of these nasty seems.

2a2qh1.png

These look like the most important things for me to learn, so if anyone can help me out, that'd be great

The thing I would recommend doing, is checking how the object looks with the textures in whatever render or game engine you plan on using. A lot of the times, the seams show up like that in 3DC, but don't show up elsewhere.

Also if you want, I can check the file out for you, you can send it to me in private if you wish. :)

• Reputable Contributor

On a model like that, I would just place the seam going around the bottom only. 3DC will lay out the the whole top section flat... You will only have two islands. A bottom and then the whole top section.

If the bottom will not be seen by the camera. you can scale that uv island smaller and scale up the other uv island so it gets more uv texture space.

I would maybe changed the way you retopoed the mesh but that is another story...

On a model like that, I would just place the seam going around the bottom only. 3DC will lay out the the whole top section flat... You will only have two islands. A bottom and then the whole top section.

If the bottom will not be seen by the camera. you can scale that uv island smaller and scale up the other uv island so it gets more uv texture space.

I would maybe changed the way you retopoed the mesh but that is another story...

That is what I would do, but I was under the assumption that he really needed the UV seams to be where they were, or he wouldn't have placed them there. I am probably wrong on this.

I guess the question is, do you really need the that particular retopo mesh? If so, do you need the seam at that exact location?  The issue you're having, is two pronged: the Retopo mesh, and the UVs derived from having that retopo mesh. You could simplify the geometry you have for the retopo mesh to a primitive cylinder, place a seam along the bottom edge, and call it good.