3DCoat Forums

Help please..? Need to export retopo UV's as separate to each mesh

SanguineJackal

Hey all! I'm having a bit of a hard time here so perhaps I could maybe get some help in here..... I hope this is the right forum. I just don't want to keep wasting time if I'm not getting anywhere!

So, here's what I have- I have a dragon I have modeled, separate layers/objects for the eyes, teeth, horns, body and wings.

I retopologized all of them, marked all UV seams, etc. in the Retopo room. I also painted it, and exports all work well (though I find Normals worked better in Voxel mode instead of Surface, and my paint is in Surface mode, sooooo.... I have to export separately. but that's not the big problem).

Here's the problem: Being that I need them all as separate objects, I want to export all the retopologized UV's with their proper meshes. I.e., horn retopo and mapping only with horn .fbx, and so on. HOWEVER the mapping is all on one big map, and I can't get it to separate! I can get the OBJECTS separately, but all their maps- not so much.

I tried importing the retopo mesh into PTEX so I could get it in the UV room and... oh my goodness. It's so glitchy. Also it deleted all my seams!

The only thing I can think of is exporting each mesh, high res and low poly retopo, and baking normals that way. But would it transfer my paint data as well separately? I've attached what the PTEX error mess looks like, as well as what the current Retopo room looks like with the packed UV of all the objects.

Thanks guys for any advice. :)

-SJ

post-37725-0-88330500-1397850186_thumb.j

post-37725-0-45647400-1397850187_thumb.j

• Contributor

post-1430-0-20730700-1397855978_thumb.pn

With "Mark Seams" selected, you will see a window up top with the word "Default" (in my image, this has been changed by me to "Lead Frame"). This is a drop down list where you can add new UV Maps. Highlight the stuff in your 'all in one' map that you want to move to your newly created map and select your new map from the drop down list under "[Move select". You can make as many maps as you desire but watch out for the glitch that happens when you use Ctrl-Z as this will put you back to the default map where you started.

attachicon.gifDefault.png

With "Mark Seams" selected, you will see a window up top with the word "Default" (in my image, this has been changed by me to "Lead Frame"). This is a drop down list where you can add new UV Maps. Highlight the stuff in your 'all in one' map that you want to move to your newly created map and select your new map from the drop down list under "[Move select". You can make as many maps as you desire but watch out for the glitch that happens when you use Ctrl-Z as this will put you back to the default map where you started.

Hey! Thanks so much for the tip. I'm not quite there yet, but I feel some progress...!

Perhaps I am doing something wrong though. I use the "Select" tool to select all the faces. Then if I click on "Mark Seams" to get the option to move it to a new map, it deselects all of it. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but I DID just get while I was marking seams, somehow a bunch of islands got selected (no idea how, I was marking seams the whole time) and when I tried the "Move to x set", it actually moved those islands! Now if I can figure out what I did I can recreate it. Any ideas?

• Contributor

Select the islands you want to move in the default UV Map rather than the 3D model. When you are up to speed, you will create your new map before you create the polygons that will reside there. But as they are already done, do as I have described, selecting them in the original UV by clicking on the island (this gets a widget and selects al the faces). Then "Move select" to your new UV.