3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

It might look low enough to you guys, but for games it NEDS to be optimized as much as possible - i mean take  a look at SKYRIM; beautiful graphics,super low poly and the most efficient texture usage ive ever seen, after extracting and inspecting its textures/models, i found that some of the tree and rock texture maps were uvmapped so there was ZERO texture map space loss there are variations of models with the same textures, ive not the faintest idea how they did it but its truly amazing.

Not sure how you can decimate that lower in 3dc without manually removing edges at this point... it is pretty low. You can always use the free MeshLab http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ to reduce it (it's actually very good at that feature) or if you have Max, just use the Multires or ProOptomizer modifiers which I've used successfully.

As for the Skyrim textures, sounds like they're just using a 'Texture Atlas' which are very necessary for open world games.

Good luck

• Advanced Member
how would further reduce the poly-count of an already textured and retopoed mesh?

2vv8egn.png

its already quite low poly, but how can i make it even more low poly?

can i perhaps do a kind of 2nd retopo?

if so, how?

ty

It is completely possible to do a second retopo, what you do is, go back to the retopo room and either edit the original one or create a new one and then bake it down just as you did the first one, then you can go under the tweak room and delete the first baked model and now you have your new retopologized model. As far as I know however you can't put the texture of a previous bake on a new model with different uvs, but if you manage to keep relatively the same uvs you could at least export the spec and the diffuse maps BEFORE you delete your initial bake in the tweak room and then go under textures->import and import both of those back in. As to how to make it more low poly, you could use delete edges and while holding control, delete unnecessary edge loops for one method, past that Im not entirely sure what you are looking for. If you can give us some more information we can try to help you better in that, I say we because I am by no means very good at the retopo room yet so hopefully someone with much more experience than me can come along to help you out!

• Contributor

After a quick look into my Sykrim files.

Sykrim dont use a Texture Atlas for Rocks.

They use only two tilable textures for all rocks in the game. Both textures have a size of 1024x1024.

And as far as i know, the complede game dont use any Texure Atlas.

For the polycount, yes the picture from worldcrafter is way to high, if you compare it with Skyrim files.

But for an unique stone, the polycount is OK. No need to reduce it.

To reduce it.

1. create a new retopo and export it.

2. Load your original rock into the paint room with all textures that are needed.

3. Use the texture baking tool. To find in the Texture Tab

4. Choose you exportet Retopo, Texture Size, File names and stuff like that and klick on OK.

This is what i would do, if have to reduce the polycount on a finished model.

• Advanced Member

To reduce it.

1. create a new retopo and export it.

2. Load your original rock into the paint room with all textures that are needed.

3. Use the texture baking tool. To find in the Texture Tab

4. Choose you exportet Retopo, Texture Size, File names and stuff like that and klick on OK.

This is what i would do, if have to reduce the polycount on a finished model.

Thanks for the correction Malo! I didn't know you could do that, but I'm really glad that you can :D

• Contributor

It is not realy a correction.

It is the way if you dont have a highpoly in Voxel Room.

Your way is correctly too. I would prefer your way if the Highpoly have Vertex Paint on it.