3DCoat Forums

Several Questions

Okay, I'm still trying to port over work flows. 3DC keeps calling me. ;-)

After watching some key modeling videos on the Youtube channel, these are the following questions I have yet to figure out. Thought it would be a good idea to post during my lunch break. 

Does 3D Coat support dual monitors?

Basically, I want to be able to drag all dialogue box's over to my second monitor and use my primary monitor for the work area.

How to  “Res+” in single increments?

Pretty much as it sounds. I've noticed that Res+ seems to jump in increments of 2. Can this be controlled?

How to make Gizmo smaller so it can fit within the screen?

Sometimes I zoom in so close that my gizmo handles are off screen. Want to put an end to this madness.

How can I translate with numeric values when working with primitives?

Here's the example that will help. I don't get how to use these "Point" options. As I've noticed 2 categories are influenced, even when manipulating one axis (Z for example).

FIZaX1z.jpg

Is there any way to change a primitive while adopting the general location and scale?

Wanted to change from a cylinder to a cube while remaining in the same work area. It does not have to be exact. Just a general relation would be fine, I can make all required edits before applying. 

Example:

mdgd1iG.jpg

When using the "EditPoseFalloff" option within the Pose Tool (or any curve editing tool), is it possible to snap to a point or edge within the graph?

Example:

paF44se.jpg

I'm having this strange issue when trying to subtract with a primitive. As you will see in the image, the subtraction is not following the silhouette of my primitive. No matter what I do, after I apply, it keeps giving me this result. Why? (This part of the mesh is a child within the layer structure). I also noticed that the subtraction seems to follow the primitive as if it were "standing straight up" on the Y axis.  

ARRMcZk.jpg 

Importing models does not look the same?

All I'm trying to do is start building a library of models. However, my models are not importing or merging with the same resolution before export.

Example:

49rmVkd.jpg

How can I get rid of this gray border?

It has this weird influence on the gizmo handles and will not work as expected when selecting them on the outside of this border. Another attempt to get the most out of the work space.

Example:

pxbmS36.jpg

That's it for now.

Thanks!

Edited by Mike DaPrimate

I believe the "+" and "-" will handle the gizmo.. at least it does on my version.   When you import mesh for voxelizing to retain the OBJ's original state, with those nice sharp holes.. just check the box that says not to voxelize it, it will bring it in under surface mode instead of trying to voxelize it.  It will res + in two every time however you can re-evaluate the mesh if it's to dense at a number that is preferable to you after you go higher.

• Reputable Contributor

In the Camera Options > Customize UI you can uncheck the Navi(gation) zone, which is what I do....and you can save that as a preset. And with the Gizmos, you can check the orientation to line up down your preferred axis with the quick axis orientation buttons in the Tool Options Panel. This is one of the areas where the Gizmo is still "legacy" and not updated to offer the same features the standard transform gizmo has. With the pace Andrew works at, squashing bugs and adding new features, there is a natural tradeoff involved. The tools often aren't consistent across the app and many features aren't well thought out. For example...what if you wanted your primitive to be oriented at a different angle than 90%? It forces you to have to choose another primitive...like the Freeform primitives...where you can choose "Transform Whole Lattice" and get a standard transform gizmo (or you could simply drag-select all points with a rectangle or freeform lasso...and use the gizmo that appears)"

The Tweak Room is a great example of old Legacy gizmos/tools not being updated to be consistent with the rest of the app

• Reputable Contributor

This is exactly why I have suggested to him over and over and over, through the years, to take a systematic approach to development. Go more slowly, room by room, and thoroughly clean up EVERYTHING...from top to bottom, in each one. Fix UI inconsistencies, naming irregularities/typos, refine the tools, fix bugs there. I would devote 6 month blocks to each room, and announce publicly here, in no uncertain terms, that work is currently being done in a specific room, and all feature requests should center around that particular workspace...because once he moves on to another room, he won't get back to the previous one for some time.

This way, he can be 100% focused and go through each tool with a fine-toothed comb. Granted, bug-fixing will be an ongoing thing, app-wide, but as far as features are concerned, it helps the community, here, focus on one room at a time (in terms of feature requests and bug reporting). Andrew said that wouldn't work, but I don't understand why it wouldn't.

• Like 1

I believe the "+" and "-" will handle the gizmo.. at least it does on my version.   When you import mesh for voxelizing to retain the OBJ's original state, with those nice sharp holes.. just check the box that says not to voxelize it, it will bring it in under surface mode instead of trying to voxelize it.  It will res + in two every time however you can re-evaluate the mesh if it's to dense at a number that is preferable to you after you go higher.

Gizmo tip did not work for me. Also, I always make sure not to voxelize upon import. It still does not look identical. This is becoming a major issue for me. I've /exported/imported in several ways without getting the desired results. Again, I will assume I'm doing something wrong. But why is it this difficult to just import a model and just get the results every other 3D app gets upon a simple import? I've seen "Res+" in single increments in the Youtube Channel videos. So it can be done. How?

In the Camera Options > Customize UI you can uncheck the Navi(gation) zone, which is what I do....and you can save that as a preset. And with the Gizmos, you can check the orientation to line up down your preferred axis with the quick axis orientation buttons in the Tool Options Panel. This is one of the areas where the Gizmo is still "legacy" and not updated to offer the same features the standard transform gizmo has. With the pace Andrew works at, squashing bugs and adding new features, there is a natural tradeoff involved. The tools often aren't consistent across the app and many features aren't well thought out. For example...what if you wanted your primitive to be oriented at a different angle than 90%? It forces you to have to choose another primitive...like the Freeform primitives...where you can choose "Transform Whole Lattice" and get a standard transform gizmo (or you could simply drag-select all points with a rectangle or freeform lasso...and use the gizmo that appears)"

The Tweak Room is a great example of old Legacy gizmos/tools not being updated to be consistent with the rest of the app

Unless I'm going blind, I can't find "Camera Options > Customize UI". I'm running version 4.1.04A. I've been getting other results I've been looking for with the axis options, but I have still yet to figure out how to resize the axis so it can fit the screen when I zoom in.

This is exactly why I have suggested to him over and over and over, through the years, to take a systematic approach to development. Go more slowly, room by room, and thoroughly clean up EVERYTHING...from top to bottom, in each one. Fix UI inconsistencies, naming irregularities/typos, refine the tools, fix bugs there. I would devote 6 month blocks to each room, and announce publicly here, in no uncertain terms, that work is currently being done in a specific room, and all feature requests should center around that particular workspace...because once he moves on to another room, he won't get back to the previous one for some time.

This way, he can be 100% focused and go through each tool with a fine-toothed comb. Granted, bug-fixing will be an ongoing thing, app-wide, but as far as features are concerned, it helps the community, here, focus on one room at a time (in terms of feature requests and bug reporting). Andrew said that wouldn't work, but I don't understand why it wouldn't.

This is the stuff I really need to learn. You are right about trade offs. 3D Coat has been one of those apps for me that I want to use regularly, but it seems it's missing some polish and consistency. Which makes sense when only one developer is working on it full time. Some great work has been done here, without a doubt, but there are some issues that can benefit from a more resourceful development team. Out of all Sculpting apps I've been testing and studying, Mudbox comes across as the most stable application. By far. 3D Coat happens to be the one I like the most. I've been exhausting the Youtube channel videos to get caught up with understanding how 3DC works and it has helped a lot, but still have to figure out more. I really would like to figure out the answers to these current questions, so I'm gonna get back to work on it shortly. Long day ahead and it's focused on porting work flows and trying to figure out how to make asset creation easier. 

Edited by Mike DaPrimate

Hey Mike!

I would avoid using that build. It's severely outdated and has a few outstanding bugs in it. Use the latest build (it's "beta" but much more stable than the build you're using, IMHO).

If you could post your scene, and your files before merging them, I would be happy to take a look and post my results. :) If you can't post it publicly, send me a PM and Dropbox it.

Hey Mike!

I'm looking over your file now. Apologies on the mix up with the build, I mis-read it. :)

No need to apologize. Work your magic.

Well, after some help from Javis and AbnRanger, I was able to accomplish more with the mesh. Javis really helped with optimization tools. I'm still not satisfied with the handles. I tried my best to get the desired result, but I just couldn't get the tools to perform. When working with a reference image, the control just wasn't where I needed it to be. Free form modeling, I'm sure I would be able to create interesting shapes that can make a handle look better, but control just wasn't there. 

XTTf4BB.png

• Reputable Contributor

Well, after some help from Javis and AbnRanger, I was able to accomplish more with the mesh. Javis really helped with optimization tools. I'm still not satisfied with the handles. I tried my best to get the desired result, but I just couldn't get the tools to perform. When working with a reference image, the control just wasn't where I needed it to be. Free form modeling, I'm sure I would be able to create interesting shapes that can make a handle look better, but control just wasn't there. 

XTTf4BB.png

On the handles, use the Pose tool with the FFD lattice to finesse the handles to be more rounded

On the handles, use the Pose tool with the FFD lattice to finesse the handles to be more rounded

I tried, several times. Couldn't get it done. I will continue trying to use the tool as you advised. I know you're able to get it done, so I'm just gonna have to figure it out.

• Reputable Contributor

I tried, several times. Couldn't get it done. I will continue trying to use the tool as you advised. I know you're able to get it done, so I'm just gonna have to figure it out.

Try and use the "Select by Pen" Option > Use Freeform Lattice > choose 4x4 (control points) > lasso select the outer control points > scale them along the X and Z axis' separately

Try and use the "Select by Pen" Option > Use Freeform Lattice > choose 4x4 (control points) > lasso select the outer control points > scale them along the X and Z axis' separately

Okay, will try that also. But here's the other challenge. Let's say once I get the handle stuff figured out, which I'm confident I will. But I'm thinking ahead to other challenges like this example. If I get a concept to design like the image below, I wouldn't even know where to start trying to get the precision required for this build when working in 3D Coat. 

PWtrLI3.png

I'm trying to think of a way to cut out the shapes with primitives and then use those same shapes in a subtraction merge. 

Edited by Mike DaPrimate