3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Get rid of annoying tool swapping

shermancg

I have O set to Brush, and L set to Eye Dropper.

I press L to select a color, then O to go to my brush tool.

However, if I continue to press O several times, it swaps between Brush and Eye Dropper (assuming this is some "last tool used" swap).

How do I disable this?

By habit I press O 2-3 times to get to brush tool due to years of painting in Photoshop. This is annoying because doing this results in making the Eye Dropper tool active 1/2 of the time, when I want my Brush tool to be active (since I'm pressing O several times).

• Reputable Contributor

You do realize you have Sticky keys, right? Are you holding the L button down a second or longer? If so, you are telling 3D Coat you want to stay in the Brush tool, but intermittently, switch to the Eye Dropper using the Sticky key.

That was a useful video, thanks! However the issue remains where pressing O multiple times will swap between Brush and Last Tool Used, which is not desirable. 

If I do not have any other tool assigned to a specific hotkey, I would not expect pressing the hotkey for a tool to select another, unassigned tool, ever.

I understand it's uses and some may love the Last Tool Used hotkey function.

Perhaps an option to disable this behavior?

• Reputable Contributor

That was a useful video, thanks! However the issue remains where pressing O multiple times will swap between Brush and Last Tool Used, which is not desirable. 

If I do not have any other tool assigned to a specific hotkey, I would not expect pressing the hotkey for a tool to select another, unassigned tool, ever.

I understand it's uses and some may love the Last Tool Used hotkey function.

Perhaps an option to disable this behavior?

What build are you using? Sounds like a bug, as I've never had anything like that occur. Sometimes closing the app > deleting the Options.XML file (MyDocs/3D Coat V4 directory) and re-starting the app fixes odd behavior, but that may not be the source of the problem.

I'm using 4.1. 07 Windows and have B assigned to the Paint Brush, I to the Eyedropper (both are just like in Photoshop), and pressing B multiple times does not cause it to switch.

I've been testing the use of Sticky Keys and I think this is exactly what I wanted. I hold down L and select my color, and releasing immediately goes back to my brush tool. This is like using ALT in Photoshop for the color picker when Brush is active.

While the issue I described should be toggle-able (or fixed?), using the Sticky Key thing is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help!