3DCoat Forums

Fast but not quite right.

bootcamp

Following on from my previous "displacement" question. Actually getting somewhere (thanks to Digman) led to an even faster method of almost getting to what I wanted in a matter of seconds.

I have tried a multitude of different settings to get the final result but it is always "pointy" as can be seen and I cant find the setting which tweaks the last part.

I have uploaded a 2 min video which shows in real time the procedure and end result in my 3d printing software.

As this is the only thing I need 3d-coat for, I would like, if possible, to not have to spend more time getting to grips with things I will not use. Being able to do just this, would make the price worth it.

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5866941/workflowConverted.mp4

Edited by bootcamp

• Reputable Contributor

As I wrote in my other post, it is best not to use the Paint Room for this kind of work for 3D printing...

I would stick with the voxel room using either voxel or surface mode.

What is your polygon limit for your 3D printer software?

If you are having trouble getting the detail results you want in the voxel room that is due to lack of experience using 3DCoat.

Left side of picture is a 3,500,000 voxel object.

Right side of picture is the same object decimated upon export to 650,000 (STL)  for 3D printing.

To get the even depth, I used one of the spline rectangles and the extrude brush.

post-518-0-15695500-1400349243_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

MV mode can be used but I pefer the other method.

If you still want to use the Paintroom in MV mode, then export the model out as an obj. It will export out as all quads.

Import into surface mode (voxel room) to check the model and then export it out as a STL file for 3D printing.

I noticed you had only a 512 x 512 texture size. That is not enough image resolution to create a quality displacement map. The true polygon exported model is created based off the displacement map. 

Import the model with a 2k or 4k texture size.

Also set your millions of polygons in the import dialog box to 8 million for a 2k texture and 16 million for a 4k texture

That way you could test various depth levels or see if even MV mode in the paintroom workflow will work or not for your needs. You do not need to always test once you figure out the workflow...

On the left in the image is from the Paintroom exported as a 500,000 quad obj.

On the right is the 250,000 decimated model in surface mode.

post-518-0-11854000-1400353536_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

Brilliant. Thank you again digman. Will try later when home. It was while using your method. I found totally by accident. It was just so very very fast. Happy to use any mode.

Will stick to your original method as a) it got me in the right direction and was brilliant

And B) you know your way around it while I still stumble around and I fully accept my lack of experience is a problem.

As 3d coat is such a small step in what is a quite time intensive workflow from photographing original building, modelling it, etc etc, I want to spend as little time as possible on learning a new (to me) piece of very capable software. Have already spent more hours in front of YouTube and in PDFs about 3d coat than at work........

I was originally going to print photorealistic "wraps" for the models which do look good it was only when I saw a YouTube video about 3d coat that I thought texture and hand-paint so all this time I have spent has been totally self inflicted!

D

Hi.

Got back and tried the above, tried voxel painting first but realised why I had gone back to pixel painting. I had and have become very frustrated with only occasionally being able to see my object!

- I realise that it is inexperience but the GUI is far from intuitive and as this is just a small part of the workflow I can't really justify spending buckets more time on tutorials and "hunting down" options in menu-sub-menu - etc

Feel disappointed as .have been in the computer industry since days with punched card and as a coder and computer journalist and feel "beaten" for the first time.

Going to have to look for a less capable piece of software but one which will do my little bit - easier.

As 3d printing starts becoming more "domesticated" I will keep looking back at new 3d coat tutorials in case just the right one comes along.

Thanks again.

A beaten D